1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Help me decide what to buy

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by NWRider, Jun 24, 2010.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am getting a new Husky very soon. I called my great local dealer and he offered me a few options which are all so good I cannot decide which to take. Originally I thought the 09 would be such a better value that the choice would be an easy one. But he made me some good offers on some other bikes also. Tell me which one you think sounds best.

Option A – 2009 WR 125 + 144 kit installed, + FMF pipe, + FMF silencer, + PWK

Option B – 2010 CR125. This bike does come with the good KYB forks right? The same a YZ has? I would purchase with a 144 kit, FMF silencer, and PWK. I would probably add the Tubliss system because of the 19” wheel.

Option C – 2011 WR 150 + FMF silencer, + PWK, + TC forks (swapping with a 09 CR 125)

Option C is about a thousand dollars more than A. I did not get an estimate on option B but I think it would come out to about $800 more than option A.

Option A would also give me the stock 125 top end which I could sell but I am not sure how much demand there will be for these with everyone going to the 144. But it has the smallest tank and who knows when an aftermarket option will be out. Also it has the weaker frame. This is probably no concern for a rider of my ability but I do not know if it will impact resale.

Option B would just be cool since the CR is rare. I like that the CR is lighter. If I hated the CR ignition I could buy a WR one or probably find a WR owner who wanted to trade. But the ignition (including lack of lights) and the 19” wheel are probably the biggest downsides. Who knows though, I might learn to love the way a CR hits. I think the KYB might be a slightly better fork then the TC Zokes but I am not sure about this.

Option C is the simplest choice. It is the latest model and I wouldn’t have much to fuss with. Since the dealer has TC forks to put on it the bike should be almost perfect.

I am leaning slightly toward C but this is really a hard decision.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A. For your type of riding I think the 09 with a 144 is ideal. The CR will not have the lights, kick stand, 18" rear wheel, computer, Flywheel... etc. Remember how you liked the power on your WR better then my quick reving 04 CR125? I prefer the marzochis over the KYB on my TXC. Can't go wrong with any of them but the 09 with the 144 / FMF would be my choice.
  3. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I thought an XR400 was your new bike?
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

If you are going to opt for the new Clarke tank which is ~2.8 gals then definitely go with A. If the 2.35 gallon tank on the 150 is enough for you then option C has some merit. If you do go with option A, I for one would be interested in your 125 topend for another project I am thinking about. :busted: I must say that I am getting between 25-30 mpg out of the 144. 25 would be open, haul ass, WFO riding. My general pace that is on the vids has been netting me 30 mpg.

Good luck, it is great to have so many options these days,
    Walt
  5. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Personally I would go with the 09 if you don't mind carrying fuel and the new tanks really are coming out soon. It feels like I have been hearing about tank options for ages now but we still don't have much available and if 2.35 gallons just the fact that it's available now is points in favor of the 2011 but for a grand extra you could have something right now, even if it's one of those blingy carbon kevlar unobtanium race units :)

Fuel capacity issues aside it's nearly the same bike and besides saving a few dollars having a spare jug is awfully nice if you are on the bike every weekend. I wouldn't sell the spare myself, keep it in your truck/trailer when you go away for weekends or races, slap it on the bike when you are having work done on your other cylinder, try letting some porting guru try his hand on one of them, whatever, it's nice to have a spare.

But the fuel tank capacity, man that's a big one. I personally hate carrying 40-80oz of fuel in my backpack which I have resorted to many times and without it I run out of gas all of the time. It's embarrassing how often I've run out of fuel. Even planning for the low capacity I still ran out of fuel my first three rides. It has been better lately but it's something I am always having to plan for and was part of the reason I had to cut a ride short just two weeks ago.

That said Kelly just straps a five gallon jug to the rear fender and doesn't seem to mind one bit :D

The CR doesn't seem like much of an option to me unless you are going to be full on racing it but I never have been a huge fan of buying MX bikes just to drop 1-2k into them trying to make them into woods bikes. Not saying I haven't done it, just saying I'm not a fan of it...
  6. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would go with A and talk to Bill about swapping the cdi and flywheel setup off one of his chopped CRs if you really want the light flywheel.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I say option C. Bigger tank, better plastics, newer inlaid graffix, new stronger frame, factory 144, it's already the way you would want to make the others.
  8. noairkerr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 yamaha wr250f 2005 ktm 200 exc
    I'd vote for A, but I'm a cheapskate. Reliable source says end of July we will have a Clarke option...... waiting
  9. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

When I posted this I thought the consensus would be to get the 2011 at only a thousand more than the 09. I am cheap so this feedback is making me lean toward the 09 and just saving some money. The 09 was my first choice but then when my dealer told me he could put the TC forks on the 2011 I started thinking about it also.

I thought a couple CR diehards would come out to tout it’s virtues, guess not. I am thinking I will probably not go with the CR anyway. I only rode one, Kellys old 04, but it was soft on the bottom and then came on really hard in the middle. The 144 and PWK might fill in the bottom but if it doesn’t and the midrange still hits as hard it could be a real handful with the extra power of the 144. I guess this could be fixed with a WR ignition or maybe one of those cool FBF ignitions but that adds more hassle.
  10. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

My dealer has them listed at...
    09 WR125 $4,400
    11 WR125 $6,400

Is that what your getting for numbers
  11. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got my number directly from my dealer. They are very good so I don't know if he would want me to post them. That is why I just put the relative difference. The 2011 is a thousand more then the 09 with all the modifications listed in my first post. If it was 2k difference the decision would be an easy one.
  12. BikePilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 TX 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CR250R, Montesa 315R, XR650R..
    I'm not positive what I'd do, but I think the 2011 would get the nod for me. Seems like they've updated a few little things that could add up.

What's the difference between the forks in the different years and models? Would a re-valve not suffice on the stock 2011 forks?
  13. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

Wr150

I get it that most dealers will drop the priced down off 6,499 MSRP. I've been looking at one of these too and can't decide. i really could use a three gallon fuel tank where I ride, and I really liked the no-link rear suspension for trail riding.http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/n...tm-revamps-two-stroke-xc-and-xc-w-off-roaders
  14. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

09 has better forks. But that does not matter for my decision. If I get the 2011 the dealer is putting 09 forks on it. He has some 09 CRs he is parting out so he is swapping those forks on the 2011 if I get it.
  15. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

You better pull the trigger on the '09 144 he has set up before it's gone or your decision will be made for you! :thumbsup:
  16. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

I wish I was closer to them guys. My local dealer has a stock one and wants the same amount. I'm working on him cut his price alittle.
  17. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

I just got off the phone with my dealer, he is going to put a set of 09 forks on the 2011 so I bought the 2011.
  18. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Congrats! I think the dealers had to send the headtubes in on the 09 CR 125s because of a recall. There should be a lot of TC forks and other 125 parts laying around at dealerships.

I hope the 09 will still be there. I am getting the funds late this week and leave on a family vacation on the forth. So my choices could be limited.

I keep thinking about the CR which is probably not a good idea. As I got better at riding a 125 I somethimes wanted a motor that would spool up fast and have some snap. But there are still times where the WR chug is wonderful.
  19. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

You might give the dealer a call - I think he has an option "D" for you.. :thinking:
  20. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

He has a used 09 for option D. I know it belongs to a member here but I do not know what name he post under. Is it you?