Help me understand hot and cold choke procedures

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by slopaso, Jan 6, 2013.

1. slopaso Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    DUCATI 907 PASO
    ok so i am excited to be the owner of a new (to me) 2006 carburated 450TE in great condition, sold as a consignment at a private mechanic's shop who did a complete go through on the bike before putting the sign on.

now i am home and have discovered it has a black and a red choke which is new to me, having only been on drz's to now. I have figured out that the further back choke is the cold start. it warms up fine and i get going. but when are you supposed to use the other choke? every hot restart? I noticed that once warm, the bike will often die on me as i am downshifting through the gears approaching a stop. sometimes the bike dies during a downshift and the bike doesn't clutch start which then sends me into a rear tire slide. hot restarts involve me cranking a lot on the throttle which i never had to do with my jap bikes.

i ride trails on the central coast of cali which can involve a lot of downhill downshifting and am don't like the idea of not being able to trust my bike to stay lit while doing so. we have hundred foot drop offs on the side of narrow trails and if i go into a dead engine rear tire slide it could get messy.

what gives? can anyone help my clueless ass?

also, can anyone give me a lead on buying a copy of the owner's manual for this bike?
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Red is hot start. Use it to help restart in situations like after a crash, when there might be flooding.
  3. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    +1
    The stalling could be a list of things, dirty carb/improper jetting/bad plug etc....
  4. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300