Help please, bike is not running very well :(

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by AndyM, Dec 8, 2013.

1. AndyM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Z1000
    Hi Guys, I am a bit frustrated with a problem that I am having with my Husky.
    I have a 2008 EFI TE450 And recently it has been playing up, its just come into summer here so I am not sure if the temp is something to do with it?
    If I ride around at normal speeds the bike is fine, but if I accelerate through the gears hard at the end of the run the bike cuts out.
    I can straight away start the bike up again and it will run fine until the next time I accelerate hard.
    Can anyone shed some light onto this problem for me?
    Thanks
    Andy
  2. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was first thinking it was a slow or siezed pump, as you say the weather is hot, but if the bike will start up straight away without letting the pump cool down, it might not be that.
    I had similar symptoms as this on my 2010 450, and all it turned out to be was a very tiny amount of sludge in the injector gauze filter. It's an easy fix, and costs nothing, so worth a check anyway, as it only takes sludge about the size of 1/4 grain of rice to block this filter!

See my thread 'TE450 bogging and leaning out' in this section.
  3. AndyM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Z1000
    Thanks Tetley, yes I have been reading your thread regarding the sludge and the injector. I am in the process of stripping down my throttle body now so hopefully I might get lucky and that is the problem.
    I also found a broken O ring where the body mounts up to the head, not sure if that might also be the cause of sucking in to much air?
    Thanks
    Andrew
  4. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Air leaks in the inlet will cause worse mixture problems at closed throttle, not wide open throttle due to the high vacuum present at closed throttle.
    Another thing worth checking is all the wiring under the tank - chafes /rub throughs, broken wires, corroded connectors, and bad grounds. The ignition switch, relays and fuses aren't immune from dirt and corrosion.
  5. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    If this happens when only on hot days and only after hard acceleration then I'm willing to bet your top end fuel setting is too low and leaning out.

Reason I say this is because it only happens when hot, so your hotter air mixed with fuel that burns sooner on a hot day will result in a lean mixture. The bike must be set up for either high altitude riding or mostly cold weather riding, and the top end is borderline too lean.

Can you hook your bike up to an iBeat? If so, I can tell you what the settings should be.
  6. AndyM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Z1000
    Hi guys, I ended up bitting the bullet and giving the bike to a tuners to get looked at they found two problems with the bike. One was the water temp sensor, apparently the sensors were a problem on these models. And the guys mentioned that the original fuel maps were a bit ordinary on my model so I got him to write me up a full custom fuel map for the bike.
    Done my first track day with the bike yesterday and it ran perfectly all day :)
    Thanks for your input guys.
    bud7041 and Dirtdame like this.