Help with my 144

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by bsh7680, Jun 28, 2013.

1. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    Ok to start off I have a 12 cr 144. I run pump gas at a 40:1 ratio. I have adjusted the float and got the leaking stopped so on to trying to get the bike to run crisper. My air screw does nothing to adjust the idle, it dies about 12 seconds after it starts, if not given any gas. I am happy with the top end, but low and mid range are sluggish.

Elevation is approx 1100 ft
    Needle is a Suzuki needle at the middle clip
    Pilot - 50
    Main - 470

I am OK with changing the jetting, just need to know where to start and why. Hopefully it will help me understand it better. I have read a lot of articles on jetting, but I learn better when I do it.

Thanks for all the input!
  2. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Have you adjusted the idle screw?

It is the small allen screw with the lock nut around it. Loosen the lock nut and turn in the allen head screw, tighten the lock nut and enjoy.

Later,
  3. scov Husqvarna
    AA Class

The air screw should have an effect on the idle. It sounds like your pilot jet is too large. Drop the pilot size to lean out the engine at idle and try the air screw adjustment again. If you check out the jetting data base you will find that a 45 or smaller is recommended. If the engine is still sluggish above idle up to 3/4 throttle you will need to move the needle clip. Raising (rich) or lowering (lean) the clip will move the needle up or down in the main jet. effectively changing the mixture at throttle positions above closed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dEFWX19TbjlNRHdST2VmTjgyeWpHOXc&rm=full#gid=0
  4. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I wonder why you have such a large pilot jet? Swap it out for a 30 and try that.
    Main jet should always be sorted before needle position, but that's not your problem.
  5. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    I went to a 40 Pilot jet this weekend and it made the bottom a whole lot crisper. I just rode around my yard so I am going to take it out for a ride this weekend and see how it does. Seems to still be a little rich in the mid, but time will tell.