1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Help - wr300 or stick to a large 4t

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by kris merrill, Sep 22, 2011.

?

Which bike for Nasty Tight Single track riding/Big Rocky Mountain opens

'10 TXC 510 0 vote(s) 0.0%
'11 WR 300 25 vote(s) 86.2%
Keep '08 TC 510 set up for open terrain (with no 6th???) and Single track the WR 300 3 vote(s) 10.3%
Bite the bullet - TXC 511 and be done? 1 vote(s) 3.4%
  1. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Wr 300 - 1999 Wr 360
    I currently have a 08 tc510, I love the bike. Power delivery, Handling, and great looks (my ktm buddies drool over it every ride.) My issue is we ride tight single track, lots of downed trees (till end of july this year when snow finaly left) and some really rocky switch back stuff, and to make matters worse Im in the rockies (idaho elevation 5k-10k), we have some big hill climbs and open terrain. The tc is not the best at this. Geared to 12-50 is still not low enough for the conditions. But yet to low for the other half of the riding that we do. I switch sprockets alot and do not want to on the trail. The 12-50 gearing is no good for the open stuff where it is only a 5 speed. I can get a good deal on a hold over '10 txc 510 and a '11 wr300 super good on this (and a 11'txc511). I like the idea of more ground clearance on the wr, the e-button does not matter.

If i went to a wr would I be wanting more power at all times (I would like to do the 530 if I bough the 510).

I know I want my cake and eat it too. I have searched and read the forum alot. I have not found a good comparison to both the bikes. The wr is a little over a 1000 less almost 1500 (hi-comp head / piston ,port job, carb and pipe for almost the difference, older 5th gear set thats taller?) I have read the motocross mag turn the wr300 into a cr300 issue. It sounds good but, so does 58hp from a 530 with tractor like torque (snow bike for the long winters here???)

Is there any body that has done the same transition?

Were you happy with the WR?

Does the Wr get better traction in the loose?

Does the lighter weight make a big difference?

I bought the tc510 this spring with the tits on the original back tire, and a ton of accessories already on it, smokin good price. Almost cheap enough to keep it and get the WR (vs the '10txc), and ride it stock for now. Ive done the 2 bike thing before in the past and always wish at some point during the ride that I was on the other bike:mad::mad:.

Sorry for the winded post. Anybody with some insight please help.
  2. jbankes Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR144
    The WR300 will crush a big four stroke in the tight stuff they have plenty of power, and feel so much lighter. They are like a Tractor on crack with a Nitrous problem.:notworthy: My buddy sold his '09 TE450 to me and bought a '11 WR300 the weight differance and suspension are awesome. I since sold my TE450 due to it's mass and got an '09 WR144 and am totally happy, way better on the single track and very much more confidence inspiring in the nasty stuff.
    The WR300 does eat alot of tires.:cry: I'm tring to talk him into a Pirelli MT43 but he's stubborn.
    I'd use the $1000 you save and throw in the 6th gear upgrade and have the ultimate Single track/ Fire Road weapon
    hogwackr likes this.
  3. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    I had a 09 TE 450 that was a really good bike but I hated it in single track. It was way to heavy for my riding style! I bought a WR 300 for singletrack use. About a month later I sold the TE! The WR is an absolute blast to ride in everything but long straits. It will happily cruise up to 55mph and top out in the mid 70's with stock gearing. It lugs better than I ever imagined. Way better than my 450! Don't worry about power It will try to pull your arms out of there sockets but in a civilized manner. :D
  4. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I also have a 08 TE 450 that I just never got along with in the tight single track even with a revalved suspension. I bought a 11' TE 250 that's WORLDS different in the tight stuff. So, I voted for the wr300 for mostly weight reasons.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I had a 09 TXC 510 and it was really fun on open fields power lines and the like but not so good on slow tight stuff. IMO this was mostly due to the bikes weight. I could ride it in tight stuff and chugg along but any pace would wear me out. I now enjoy tight stuff but its on my 08 CR144. Now our "big" hills are at 300-500' and my 144 eats this up. Now in your area.... I would jump on a 300 2-stroke Husky or GasGas. I ride my Husky 144 on the MX track and tight stuff and my GG 300 on more open or sandy stuff. I have my cake and eat it LOL; you should too!
    jbankes likes this.
  6. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Where in Idaho are you? Im not far in UT. I'd be happy to meet up and go for a ride and you can take my 09 300 for a spin. You will be amazed at the torque that this bike has. It is an excellent bike for singletrack. For just about anything really. My only gripe with it is the crappy silencer build quality (3 of my 4 rivets came out somewhere along the way, and the lack of a 6th speed or higher 5th). The latter is only a problem on open fast fire roads, or pavement between trails.
    We were on 038 in American Fork Canyon a few weekends ago and buddy was on his KTM 525. He commented a number of times that he was amazed at how well my WR chug a lugged and kept on going up that steep, loose, never ending s.o.b. of a hill climb. I was pretty impressed too. There were a few spots where he had to stop and go back down and take another run...I did not:)
  7. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I came off a 525 and its a great cruising or if the trails arent hard. But theres no contest. My 300 has the best of all worlds. Light, great in the tight stuff, plenty of power, indestructable, easy as pie to work on. Now if I was doing more duel sporting and or fireroads/dualtrack stuff I would want my 525 back in a heart beat.
  8. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Great response's, thanks guys. I rode with a ktm 300 xc-w and I was impressed with it, but never got a good comparison with it. I never got to ride it. It sounds like the WR will out do the ktm, from other posts. The only worry was the 5 speed trans again. but the specs look better then the tc that I have now. I think that I will go with the Wr300 after that round of reply's. I had no idea that everybody loved their WR's that much.

marcmo0, Im in Idaho Falls area. Thats great to here your experience with the 525 vs the WR. Sounds like I'll have to put a new pipe on it,:banana:............... for quality reasons, I know my wife will buy that excuse:).

What pipe's are people putting on? The ktm guys are going with the FMF Gnarly I think. Would that be the one to go with or use the Pro Circuit pipe?

Jbankes, where can you get a 6 gear transmission at. I have searched a bit it sounds like it is from an older 360 years 92-02, Can you buy a new set or just look for a good used set?

Im excited for the switch. Ive been off of 2t's for a while, I cant wait to start back again. :D Love the smell of 2t in the morning with my cup of joe.
  9. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmnmmmmmmmmmm, guess I'm not the only one with these questions.
    I've also been contemplating getting a WR300. But for now I think I'll have to stick with one bike (Jobs closing it's doors in a week). I'm not as strong as I was when I bought my bike.
    Talked to ScottyR and offhandedly asked if he knows anyone with a WR300 looking for a straight trade :) :thinking:
  10. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kris, I rode a TC450 in the woods for about a year so I can totally relate. The TC is is awesome for desert type open riding, but for the gnarly single track the thing out beat you to death. I bought a WR300 about a month ago, and I wouldn't even think about going back to a 4stroke. Tons of low end torque, no more flame outs, just as much power for hill climbs, better gear ratio, and MUCH lighter. I say go for it.
  11. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can't comment on the TC's as I haven't ridden one, but I have owned a 2010 wr300 since new and ride mainly in the woods/ tight technical terrain. It is absolutely fantastic for this with lots of low down torque and able to pull up any hill from virtually zero throttle even sometimes when you have misjudge and find yourself in too high a gear. I did fit the usual PWK and also the race head, of these two mods I reckon the head is that best value for money you can get, about $120. The only real critism I would have is that it isn't that good for high speed open trails. I know you can change the gearing but it is a pain keep swapping backwards and forwards.
    Occassionaly we do beach runs here which isn't a lot of fun for me.
    The weight is a real advantage especially when you see your mates eyeballs out on stalks as try to lift thier 450's out of some deep rocky gully somewhere or up to the axles in in clay. It's probably only 20Kilos lighter but at the end of the day or after you have fallen off 6 times the 300 feels like a featherweight against a big 4t.

I have thought about the 6 speed cluster, I have been told that the overall ratios aren't that different between 1-5 and 1-6. I haven't checked for myself but it would be worthwhile investigating before going ahead and doing the swap.
  12. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I own a TXC511 and a WR300. Either will work great for your intended purpose. I will say that the 511 is much easier to ride in tight stuff then the typical 450/500. In the end I have the WR300 up for sale as the 511 does everything I want and works better for me.
  13. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well Im committed now, went to the dealer and looked at the WR. Gave him a laundry list of stuff that I want done.Should all be here and installed in the next couple of days. I am excited to give it a try:D. I have read a ton on the WR mods that people are doing, (read back 25 Pages of posts, lots of good info in there.)

Here is my lists of mods. Let me know if there is any other must do items I am missing

Pro Circuit P2 pipe and 296 Silencer (it gets dry in the summers here)
    Keihin 38mm carb
    Skid Plate
    Radiator braces / shields
    Hand/brush guards

Still need to order

Power now and Power now Plus (seems like mixed reviews)
    New air filter set up (had a big mouth on the last bike and liked it)
    Stealthy 10oz FWW
    I thought about a Magura clutch but now thinking Recluse exp. Do I still need the 10oz FWW with this or does it add enough weight?
    Tires- Not sure on those thinking I might try MotoZ with Tubliss? Good choice for in the rocks? / single track trails? Ill try stocks first.
    Wave rear disk? Im shock to see a solid disk, yet not to many complaints about it either? maybe it will stay for a while

I spoke with them about the Race head They said Pro Circuit is who is doing the milling? Is the factory race head still availible?
    They also did not like the idea of the GasGas piston? What is the status on that anybody still running it? I saw some posts that the intake skirt is a little off and it was pinging, so it was taken out. Is the 72mm trx250r dome top the better way to go?

I will probable have it polished and port matched later in the year. I still want all my bottom end power with out to much hit. AS GasGas Smooth like as possible. (No I didnt want to buy one). They did have the limited 300 six day GasGas there..:eek: only like 14 or so made $$$$$ and dead sexy!!!

I am going to look into lowering seat height. I will shave seat foam out and I might try to lower the sub frame also? Not sure on that one yet.
    Im thinking looking into the shocks (before the subframe mod), they might have to pay a visit to LT.

Thanks
    Kris
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kris,

Not sure what part of the world you are in, but there is a guy in Portland, RB-Designs who does great carb and head work for the 300. I use the Mikuni with his carb work (includes "power now" type plate...make sure to ask for the slide work, too) and it is a pretty crisp setup. There are others here who know Ron's works and he comes highly recommended.... woodschick and excuvator come to mind.

http://rb-designs.com/

LT is great for suspension and you probably want to drop the gearing (I went down 1 on the front) for anything but open fast riding.
  15. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ill check him out. Im in Idaho so super close. I think close to LT also. Thanks for the info.......... The addiction continues..:cool:
  16. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool. Yes, LT is near Seattle so he is 'local' too. Which part of Idaho... I used to live in the Moscow/Lewiston area a few years back, and on the Oregon border before that.
  17. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Race Head is still available, I got mine from Husky Sport in the UK. A very worthwhile mod, definately one for your list!