HFP Aftermarket Fuel Pump for 2011 TE511

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Desertyucca, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    "Updated"

Summer heat arrived, found my TE511 fuel pump started failing under excessive heat. :eek:

Searching the internet, found HighFlow Fuel Pump's. HFP $120. Checked for specifications like Multi-blend Fuels and HFP Warranty - "Each HFP fuel pump is backed by a lifetime free replacement warranty." Cost of a OEM Pump $3??. OEM pumps I understand have no real warranty.

Why not, I was Sold on price and HFP abilities to support their product! However, I was worried some about the install and had my suspicions this would NOT be a drop-in replacement. I had the Tank out and old pump in hand, OPP'S PUMP is NOT a drop-in replacement. Looked extremely close. Now starts the Fun :thumbsup:

Busted out my calipers and worked out a plan. The key was to solve the smaller nozzle diameter. The outlet nozzle on the new pump is 7.61mm and the Original
    > pump is 8.81mm. How to do this out increasing the failure rate or loosing pressure for years to come. Checked the normal o-ring kits around town no luck. Help from the local NAPA store, a seal kit paid off! Now I feel confident I have good seals that are chemical rated and seem to be perfect! Next was to Spend a little time working out a way to mount the pump for reliability and longevity. Last thing I want is the pump failing due to modified parts working loose or contaminating the fuel system by deterioration of added items. In the end, I believe I found a good solution and the pump install works great!

I wish I would have taken more Pics! Attached PDF shows a few steps of the pump install.

NOTE:

HFP Pump install will require fabrication of a new/used spacer. Requires a few critical measurements to make sure the Pump Seats correctly in the housing. If the spacing is fitted correctly the pump will be pressed lightly into the housing and hold the pump firmly down into the pressure regulator so the seal will work properly.

In the future, possibly some vendor could design a new spacer out of some fuel submersible rubber. Then a simple swap of the pump could be accomplished on the trail.

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-89277...na-te511-te-511-smr511-smr-511-2011-2012.html

So far over 150 miles on the new pump. No fueling issues.

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

Tinken, jerbear610 and Motosportz like this.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I am completely unqualified to make a technical comment.

But you put a lot of thought, effort, and time in documenting what you did. And now you are sharing it. Thanks!
    Desertyucca likes this.
  3. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you have your tank out. Good time to cleanup the wire paths. I found my stator wires all entangled around the TPS wires. I moved the stator wires away from the TPS and TPS wires. Good time to inspect all your connections for corrosion as well. I found Corrosion in the stator connection and relays connectors. I used a dielectric grease on all my connection points when I assembled.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Were you able to get an aftermarket fuel pump to work?
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    That pump might be plug-and-play on the older 2008-2010 pump assemblies, thanks for posting your work on the newer assemblies.

They can offer a lifetime replacement guarantee, because they buy a pallet of 500 pumps and pay $7 apiece for them, selling them for $120.

Gates makes the only submersible line available in my area.

Gates 1266 27091 Submersible Fuel Line Hose

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#sclient=psy-ab&q=gates submersible fuel line&oq=gates submersible&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l4.1766.7090.0.10500.17.10.0.6.6.0.702.2017.0j8j1j6-1.10.0....0...1c.1.23.psy-ab..1.16.1946.p2QT_uvgxjw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50165853,d.b2I,pv.xjs.s.en_US.seW1cfrvSKg.O&fp=70b159664b30531b&biw=1358&bih=858
    gpsmatty and Desertyucca like this.
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    What were your symptoms?
  8. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bike would cut out and pop with open throttle after about 180 deg. Cool the bike for a few minutes and back to normal for few until the bike heats up again, once hot back to cutting out. Continue to ride in limp mode the bike will increase in temp indicating lean operation.

Second Fuel pump failure since 2011. My Guess is, after running VP Fuels for a race, pumps fail 4-6 months later. I also noticed a significant amount of very fine sand in the tank.

I noticed in HV parts list, TC fuel pump has a different part number then the TE? I wonder why? :thinking:

Video from last years pump failure.

Edit- Found this Clip.
  9. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Tinken,

So Far, all is good. After installing the pump, test run 25 mile trip out to Johnson Valley @ 101 deg ODT and returned in the sand wash really put a load on the bike. No issues.
    This week, I am in Montana for the week visiting my daughter. Riding the local OHV trails the other day. Bike hit about 210 deg a few times. Made a few stop to cool the bike, had no desire to melt my clutches.

Pump, Good results at this point. :thumbsup:

10. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Update - Went for a test ride Sunday AM before the Desert heats hit 105 deg. Bike was running great, so my test ride turned into a 70 mile exploration ride. On my why to Giant Rock I notice the engine was idling a little ruff like it was rich. So I backed off on the JD to 3 across the board, engine smoothed out. The Reason for sharing this video is I started 3K foot Elevation ODT was 84 deg. The Video ends @ 5.2K foot 90 deg ODT Ride Ended ODT was 102 deg. Engine temp reached into the High 190 deg. What was odd about this ride, I lugged the bike much more then I typically do without any issues. The Fuel was so Hot at one point you can seem looking over to make sure I had no fuel leaks. I could smell the vapors from the breather vent in the side panel. No Flame outs, engine was smother then typical and the power response was consistent cold and after everything heated up. Typically in the past the Bike heats up in the 200 deg area, I loose the low end performance and flame outs were more common. Not the case during these last two rides!

I never thought to re-test the CO after changing the fuel pump. Is it possible the new pump GPM and Fuel Pressure are more consistent under Varying or High Temperatures? Could this Fuel delivery change impact mapping? Next weekend I will have to check who's auto shop will let me recheck my CO settings :D

Video camera was low on this ride, my bad :eek: . 6-9 Min is where I really lugged the bike exploring a new trail. NO Flame-Outs

View: http://youtu.be/rnl6yhStIoI
  11. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Thanks for the update, sweet riding, great to hear it's running good.

The 43psi pressure regulator is downstream from the pump BUT I do believe if a pump is weak, compromised in some way, a little clogged up, I believe it's possible that the bad pump could be sending less than 43 psi to the regulator and causing the bike to run poorly.

I have developed a theory after my OEM 30mm pump got varnished up, I replaced it with a 38mm aftermarket pump, which ran great for 2.5 years/14,000 miles and then BAM, it completely stopped working. I believe these small, in-tank pumps were not designed to withstand the heat and the vibration of a 450 thumper. I have boiled my gas on more than one occasion, and I ride in rocky/bumpy terrain. I believe the 14,000 miles I got out of the 38mm pump was acceptable. I believe that fuel pressure is very important to these bikes running right.
    Coffee and Desertyucca like this.
  12. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Another 1K plus miles on the new pump. Run the LAB2V with no issues, no flame-outs. Pump is running Strong :thumbsup:
    Tinken and Motosportz like this.
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    has anyone ever had gravity fail[IMG] EFI not till i dont have a choice [IMG]
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Ty and I have been looking into building a kit for external mounting of the pump and regulator. This would keep the fuel cooler and give a little more volume in the tank. So far the cost has been prohibitively expensive.
    Desertyucca likes this.
  15. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    For the life of me, I can't seem to wrap my head around the initial idea of installing a fuel pump inside of the fuel cell. It just screams future issues and failure. I am sure some engineers obviously thought it to be a good idea and I am also certain they are well educated but still...:thinking: End rant. I must not be smart enough to get it:excuseme:
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

The pump is liquid cooled that way. Same as in cars. Works fine.
    Desertyucca likes this.
  17. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Or liquid heated in some cases.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Gas gets heated form external sources so if the fuel is hot it is even hotter outside.
  19. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I looked at this option. No real good spot to mount an expensive pump, keep it cool and then you have more hoses to deal with.

The fuel regulator in the tank is spring loaded, thus returning extra fuel pressure to the tank. I kicked an idea around to use the fuel regulator return to cool the fuel. This to adds more hoses.

I believe, best solution is to replace the Factory Fuel pump requiring Unleaded fuel 95R0Z/R0N in our case E10 with a good Multi-Blend fuel pump. I also believe some of the stalling issues after the Bike gets hot is related to the loss of fuel pressure @ the injector. (Bike runs lean when it gets hot) Seals, Pump:excuseme: I double up on my seals and made sure they were more snug. This new pump appears to have more GPM & Holds great Pressure even when the fuel is boiling! The factory Seal's from the assemble appeared to be very loose and baffles me on how that little seal would hold pressure @ 40PSI.
  20. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Thermal mass/homeostasis type thing I guess?