High Sierra Non-Ride: My Glass Is Always Half Full

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Oct 5, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Just a word of warning: Not much bike action to follow...

Eric and I decided to hit up the Sierra before the snow flies and before diving into dirtbikes full time for the autumn and winter. I was ambivalent about going, which never, ever happens. The Giants had a chance to wrap up the National League West division title and I didn't want to miss it. Eric was incredulous..."You'd rather stay home and watch TV than go ride your bike??" We left early Saturday morning, carrying camping gear and intent on exploring some dirt roads and a jeep trail up in the high Sierra. It was almost 90 degrees when we passed through Jackson. We got to the turnoff for Bear River Reservoir and Eric's bike was acting up...

[IMG]

[IMG]

He thinks it sucked a valve, although he checked them for the Nevada trip and they were fine. The big KTM has 17,000 miles on it so it's probably due for some attention anyway. Eric rode my Husky to get the cargo van and trailer while I waited with the bike. After Eric left 2 guys in a truck stopped and said "Hey, musta got that Huskervarner running, eh?" They'd driven by earlier but hadn't thought to stop. I took great delight in explaining that my "Huskervarner" was running like a champ, thankyouverymuch, and that it was the KTM that was ruining my weekend. I didn't get too snotty with them as they had guns and I was alone, but you get the idea... Lots of folks stopped to ask if I was OK after Eric left.

I spent the time poring over the 3 maps I had with me and thought I found a great spot for us to camp...small lake at the end of a long dirt road, no campgrounds, no off-shoots or private property anywhere, probably deserted. Eric showed up and the Giants were heading into the 2nd inning. I love listening to baseball on the radio so I wasn't too upset about the bike issue. Besides, a few minutes after we headed higher up the mountain it started to rain. Gee, too bad I was in the van, eh?

I hit a home run with my map scouting skills. We totally scored on the campspot!

[IMG]

[IMG]

After giggling over our good fortune, we gathered up some firewood. All we had was our tiny folding saw that we carry on the bikes, but it is incredibly sharp and works well...

[IMG]

[IMG]

We, um, hung out in the van til it stopped raining, had some piping-hot beef stroganoff and lasagna for dinner, then had a few glasses of wine and a ripping campfire. We wanted to sleep in the tent but the rain never really stopped so we slept comfortably in the back of the cargo van on the platform we made for that very purpose. The Giants lost, we didn't get to ride, it was raining and Eric's bike was broken but we had a great time anyway.

The next morning brought more rain but our breakfast nook had a great view...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Whaddaya think of that chair Eric is sitting in? We got a couple of Alite Designs Monarch chairs. They weigh nothing and the aluminum tubing folds up like tent poles and they bundle up really small. They're really comfortable, too! I didn't think I'd like balancing on 2 feet but they're great!

[IMG]

We went for a walk around the lake after breakfast...

[IMG]

Fall is on the way...

[IMG]

The trees are big in the Sierra...

[IMG]

These tracks didn't even look real in real life...

[IMG]

Man, I love this stuff! I should've been a geologist...

[IMG]

Jumble of wood at outlet stream...

[IMG]

Still raining...

[IMG]

The mother of all fire rings, this thing was huge! The wood in the pit was about 5' long...

[IMG]

We saw some teeny tiny wildlife...

[IMG]

[IMG]

And some not-so-teeny tiny wildlife...

[IMG]

[IMG]

We packed up the van and headed out to the local hot springs pool. The minerals in the water stain the pool a crazy color...

[IMG]

We drove down the hill and into the central valley, listening to the Giants beating the Padres the whole way. Stopped at a burger joint and ran into some not-so-wild wildlife...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So, yeah, we didn't get much riding in, it rained almost the whole time, and the KTM is going in for a valve job...BUT we found a killer campspot, I got to listen to the Giants win the West, we got to see a bear, we stayed dry throughout the rainy night and we got to soak in hotsprings! None of those things would have happened had Eric's bike not taken a dive. Thanks, KTM!

WoodsChick
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Another killer trip.:thumbsup: Ummm....fishies in the lake????
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yup...trout! We saw 3 guys leaving in a Jeep and they had a bunch of `em. We saw little fishies swimming in the shallows at night.

Ya know, for not getting any riding in it really was a blast!

WoodsChick
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Cool as always Woodschick. Even though I hate the Dodgers(my dad was a fan) I never got tired of Vin Scully doing play by play on the radio and then tv. I was always a Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Juan Marichal fan.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hate the Dodgers, too! Those guys were before my time, but I see Willie McCovey at the ballpark all the time. The cove outside the park is called McCovey Cove and the ballpark is at 24 Willie Mays Plaza. There are 24 palm trees on the plaza and the right field wall is 24' high in his honor :)

Vin Scully still makes a good call :) Jon Miller does a perfect Vin Scully-cracks me up every time :lol:

WoodsChick
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thx Woodsie, I love your stories and pictures.:thumbsup:
    Maybe it's time for Eric to step up to the plate and get a Husky.:busted:

:cheers:
  7. jckid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Previsouly owned: SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, KLX351, CT110
    Sounds like you made the most of it and didn't let it ruin your adventure, which is great. Looks like a beautiful area and a great campsite to return to on another trip.
  8. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Looks like a great time to me. What a beautiful spot!
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    cool report.

got something you can borrow fer yer not so lil furry freind there too...in case he gets to close to yer husky WC.

the katoom is on its own...:busted:

Attached Files:

10. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    Very nice report and great pics, especially the one of the Bear. Must have been a friendly bear.
    How bout' them Giants finishing off the Braves last night in another nailbiter.
    I love Jon Miller too, one of the best in the biz and that guy is so funny at times. He and Dave Flemming make a great team and you know Dave Flemming is just livin' the dream getting to work along side a Hall of Fame broadcaster in Jon Miller.
    The Phillies are goin' down....GO GIANTS :applause::thumbsup:
  11. Tim H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas EC300, many KTMs
    >
  12. lionsroaar Husqvarna
    C Class

Woodschick,

Nice pics and write up...What lake is that? I've ridden near Bear River an Salt Springs but don't recognize it.

Thanks,

Jason
  13. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Hey woodschick, I have been meaning to ask about the front tyre you are running on your 610. It loos very wide, does it impair your handling, directional change?
    Another great write up and a wonderful plan B outcome. Out of curiosity what did you do when you came across the bear?
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Nice pics and great location... makes picture taking very easy .... The bear would have been a little spooky ... I'm sure you are aware they are only here to eat, sleep daily and have sez ~yearly ... 3 events you don't want to have anything to do with ...