1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

How Do Determine Which Spring And Coils Are Installed

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by apariah, Oct 26, 2020.

1. apariah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Buell 1125r
    I'm trying to determine which springs are in the fork tubes and which coil is installed. I've been working on some enduro type skills and realized I can't compress the front end on my WR300 while sitting. I picked up a RM100 for my girlfriend and while getting it setup I realized some of the things I was trying to do on the WR are simple on the RM Clearly size is a component, but it dawned on me that this might be why I was having issues preloading the suspension at the track recently. I can't even preload the fork enough to get the front end up.

The previous owner was 200lbs and I'm about the same, and so I don't think our weight difference is the issue. Height could be. He said the bike was set up for a 200lbs riders, but I can't get an answer from him about what spec or suspension components were used.

I can't see any markings on the coil, is there anyway to tell without sending the parts out somewhere?
  2. ggg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250 14
    Other Motorcycles:
    NONE
    see go to the race tech site look up you bike and put the 200lbs rider in and it will tell you what springs are recommend and that most likely is what is installed, if the sags are all correct. the rear shock spring should have numbers on it which will say what it is, just a ring a tuner and they can tell you, the forks wont have any markings
    apariah likes this.
  3. jeanjean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    IT175H
    I would start by servicing the fork (and the shock as well).

You can measure the spring and calculate the spring rate, but measurements, especially of the wire diameter, have to be very accurate.

jeanjean
    apariah likes this.
  4. apariah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Buell 1125r
    Thank you.
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Then there something wrong, suspension should drop about 1" when you take it off the
    stand & doing nothing else. Goggle static suspension sag , then take it from there
    apariah likes this.
  6. apariah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Buell 1125r
    Sorry I missed this. A friend suggested I check the compression, and it was set as hard as it could be. The previous owner was 250 without gear, but the bike was sprung for a 200lbs rider. So adjust the compression helped a lot. I'm now trying to figure out how the reach the rebound adjustment on the shock body in the rear.
  7. jeanjean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    IT175H
    Rebound?

Well explained in this video.

The video relates to mountain bikes, but the physics are the same.

jeanjean
    apariah likes this.
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Just remember that the compression dampening has both a high and low speed adjustment. Red peripheral knob is high speed and little brass screw is the low speed.
    [IMG]
    On the rebound, if you have the right spring with the right preload, you should be able to access the rebound screw with a long screwdriver when the bike is resting on both wheels. That creates enough sag to get the screwdriver right above the linkage and into the slot.
    [IMG]
    apariah likes this.
  9. apariah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Buell 1125r
    This is absolutely the most useful forum I've been on.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  10. apariah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Buell 1125r
    This helped me to understand what I felt when riding the other day. Thank you.
  11. apariah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Buell 1125r
    The issue was the Sag. Once I adjusted properly, just as DirtDame mentioned I was able to make adjustments.

Thanks again.
    Dirtdame likes this.