1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st How do you run in a new smoker?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was told not to redline the 300 until Ive done just over 2hrs run in time putting around the trails.

Is this correct?

I just took her for its first run on the road and she seems to taper off on quickly when you wind it out, plus there was no real kick. There was definately pull right from the bottom but nothing from middle revs up.
    Is this normal during run in?
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    read the OM.

failing that. idle it till it's warm then shut it off and let it cool all the way. repeat several times. these are zero-load heat cycles. check the plug and clean if nec.

then, ride aound for 10 mins 1/2 throttle or less to a max of third gear.
    repeat 3 times. these are light load heat cycles.

then, ride around 15 mins up to 3/4 throttle through all the gears.

change the plug.

verify your main jet using the 'wfo/chop/read' method. then, adjust the other circuits accordingly.

failing all that just take it easy on it the first tank. new engines have a ton of sharp egdges that need to get knocked off/same creat a lot of friction/friction = wear blah blah blah.

some guys just go out and beat the bajeebuz out of the thing from the git go and still are ok. me? i think of it as a new knee. you really wanna go balls out on it right now? yer bike yer choice.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll get hammered for this but i have always done the no load heat cycle a few times and then ride it. Never had an issue and always had good looking cylinders and pistons. There is no way to putt around on a 125 and i was pinning it with very little time on it. When i installed the 144 kit some 800 miles later it looked virtually new inside and still making good compression. Same with my Wr250 and other two stokes i have owned. So IMHO do a few no load heat cycles, blipping the throttle a few times, then ride it without trying to hammer it (be nice as you can) for a 10-20 miles and then let it rip. Just make sure your jetting is real close or slightly rich and use high quality 2 stroke oil.
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    yepper.

just warm it up so ya dont scuff the piston and get the jetting right before ya start beating on it. better to foul a plug than melt a ring or crown etc.
  5. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    The motors just tight when new. Mine took a long while to break in and make full power, but it rips and snorts now.

For break-in I do 2 complete heat cycles, full warm and then full cold always varying RPM's. I'll then warm it up completely, go for a semi-aggressive 15 minute ride and take it back to check bolts over and call it good. Not saying this method is right or wrong, but it has served me well so I stick with it.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Pretty much my "method" as well. Machining tolerances are quite good with modern machines so I think it is less of an issue as it was on the older air cooled motors etc.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Ditto what was said above. A couple of no load heat cycles, take it easy riding for a while then let it rip.

Sandgroper,

Does yours still have the throttle stop installed? Just a thought.
  8. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

I usually putt around the street annoying the neighbors for 10-15 minutes, maybe do a few wheelies and stuff, then let it cool and then go for a ride, but a fairly mellow one. Then I change the oil and ride it hard.

Compared to other 2strokes i've owned, the 300 doesn't really have a hit. it just pulls smooth and hard from everywhere.
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Yup like most, couple of light heat cycles letting it cool between cycles and then give er.:thumbsup:

I changed the gear box oil after the first hour.

:cheers:
  10. mac37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Warm it up, check jetting, ride. I change the oil after the first ride and check for any unusual debris.

Kelly,
    Was that ride on sunday an easy break in ride? Just checking :)
  11. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the feedback. Will take a step back and be patient with this one :)

Wallybean,
    Is the throttle stop on the outside of the carb? Will check what I can see.
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

No, it is a small plastic cylinder that the throttle cable goes through inside the carb. It blocks how far the throttle is able to open. Most dealers remove them for the customer but some will not unless you ask them to. Very easy to do yourself.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes :D
  14. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im just going to put around our local area at 25 m/hr after 8pm just for the benifit of the neighbours

4 20min sessions of that should be cool before letting her I think.

:)
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I usually take a new bike out to some low speed singletrack and putt around for a couple of hours, getting to know the bike. Then both the bike and I are ready to step up the RPMs.:cool:
  16. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

How do you check and see if the throttle stop is still inside the carb? Do I just pull the top off it? :)
  17. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    twist the grip. it wont open but a smidge. or pull the top of the carb and note the long thing in there stopping the slide from going up all the way.
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    +1 agree
  19. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pulled the top off the carb last night and took the shiny thing out with the needle. Didnt see anything under the spring that stops that shiny thing from going all the way to the top.

Think Im going to change her 15/46 gearing. on 14/48 im flat out getting 60mph out of it.