1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st How often Should I change out brake fluid?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Aug 26, 2011.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Got an 09 wr300 and in the past with other bikes never bothered with it but maybe every other year if that. Well lately been riding a heck alot more than before with some more hardcore riders. Solid intermediate rider riding every other weekend throughout the year with the summer mainly riding switchbacks in the mtns(so I am making them suckers cook). Maybe have only 500 miles on the bike.
    Yet last weekend coming down the last swtichbacks of a mtn front brake completely disappears. Thank god I only had about 200 yards to finish the ride or I could have been screwed. Everyone tells me its dirty fluid and they change theirs out ever 6 months or so. After the brakes cooled they now act like normal and pads are just fine. I will change out the fluid with quality dot 5.0 stuff but now I am just a tad paranoid. Opinions?
  2. MR54L Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Check your rear brake fluid, the colour will give you a good indication if your fluid is fryed. I change my fluid every 6 months
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yeah if you ride a lot 6 months for top performance. this gets neglected by many but is important to function and overheating.
  4. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Boiling front brakes isn't that uncommon especially if you use disc covers (cured by extra venting holes) or haven't changed brake fluid in a while or running pads under half way which causes more fluid to heat up in the calliper due to lower pad thickness - hard riding with a lot of long downhills, no airflow is all it needs to boil them.

You aren't dragging the front brakes unknowingly?
  5. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    That's something I have been guilty of also, will be adding it to my maintenance list. Most of us here in FL, especially my brake dragging friends, have been using Motul 600 with good success.
  6. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Motul RBF600, IMO, is the best on the market but absorbs moisture a little easily.

PS. If you wanting to run 5.0, you need to thoroughly flush the old fluid out as 5.0 doesn't mix with DOT 3,4 or 5.1
  7. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
  8. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Dirty brake fluid is a no, no. Like evryone has said it is easily neglected . Depending on how much I ride i do mine every six months to a year.
  9. motomaniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 RMZ450 2005YZ250 2001 EXC300
    Change in twice a year. It takes about 10min per cylinder.
  10. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    FWIW, thanks for starting this as it made me decide to flush both Husky's brakes this weekend.
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I always look at the color. It's almost clear when it's new and as it absorbs moisture and gets hot it gets darker so when it starts looking dark I change it.