How to clean throttle body?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Tetley, May 3, 2013.

1. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 2010 TE 450 (power up kit) has run a reasonably normal A/F ratio for the last 7000 miles, but since drowning it in muddy water (the engine was not running when it went in) the bike is running very rich- the tail pipe is very sooty, and the plug is black. It still runs the same, and the fuel consumption not much worse.
    I assume the sensors in the throttle body need cleaning- has anyone done this and with what?
    I was thinking of using MAF cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner.

Another question- ibeat here in the UK is very expensive, around £750, so cannot justify the cost, and the nearest dealer is 100 miles away.
    Is the Semco version of ibeat the same as the genuine one, and are there any outlets in the UK to purchase this, or will I have to order it direct from the US?
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Here's a pic of my left side taken off, you'll need a security Torx, with the hole in the middle. I can see how some mud up in here could mess up the data going to your ECU, MAF cleaner sounds good, I'd use some, and compressed air.

[IMG]your mixture,
  3. Aaronc Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 txc 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    97 xr 400
    you could use an old tooth brush for a light scrubin, throttle plate cleaner would be fine. just a dab of di-electric grease will make the connectors happy
  4. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks guys, I shall borrow some security Torx bits and take it apart to see what lurks inside!
  5. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, it was all clean inside. I cleaned it all the same with some electrical contact cleaner, did a 60 mile night ride, and it's still running rich.
    Time to get it on ibeat.