1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc How to remove throttle cable from Mikuni Carb?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by AC3, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Street Triple R, KTM 400 EXC
    Hey Guys,

Stupid question time!! How do I unfasten the throttle cable attached to the carb. I can not work it out? The cable has started fraying on the control end so I want to replace.

Thanks
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Pull the spring and plastic piece up out of the slide and compress it against the top. Pinch the cable with your fingers and push it down and to the rear of the slide and it should come out of it's holder.
  3. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    A small tip for you and anyone else that spends a fair amount of time delving into there carbs. Pop out and buy a small set of forceps, when you pull the spring and plastic retainer back clip them on the cable, its like gaining a extra pair of hands

53069.jpg
    Kevin_TE250 and rockdancer like this.
  4. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Guys,

Forceps is the next item to be added to my toolbox.: )
  5. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am trying to do this on the bike.
    Using needle nose pliers but it looks like there is no way to loose it. On the fiche it looks like it is the spring seat but it is different as it has a hex shaped head. Do i need to undo this to reach the retainer. In other words do I need to take of the spring seat to change needles also. It looks like it needs a special tool, but I don't know.
  6. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    you need to remove the slide. After that I think there is a e clip holding it to the top of the slide. If I remember correctly.
  7. NephronRacing Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 Ducati 748, '69 Honda CB350 Cafe
    You should be able to push the cable down a bit and slide it out the notched side.
  8. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TZM, Suzuki RGR (2 smokers)
    That is not a "small tip". I would call that the number one tool to have if you are messing around with needles or changing cables!

I have two different types of mikunis on separate bikes but the procedure is pretty much the same.
    The only difference between the two is the type of plate that is pressed on by the spring to hold down the needle.
    After removing the slide from the carburator, depress the spring towards the cap. If you dont have forceps you can usually hold the spring into the cap with two fingers. Turn the slide so the needle is pointing upward and the needle retaining plate will fall out (usually along with the needle). Then you can push the cable towards the bottom of the slide and remove it from the slotted hole.
  9. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Lads, nice work.:notworthy:
    Got it done now. Just to clarify there IS a spring seat over the needle retainer which is holding the needle and eclip in place. The needle retainer is screwed into place. I undid it with needle nose pliers but it is probably better with the proper tool. Then I removed the spring seat then the cable from the slotted hole. Not sure if it is possible to remove the spring seat on its own as that was what was confusing me.

Anyway all good now.
    Happy Holidays!!:D