1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc How to stop my 2008 cr 144 from washing out front end.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Pedec, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

In the last couple months I have been riding a lot more aggressive in corners and seem to have a problem with my front wheel wanting to push in corners instead of biting. I have my weight up front and slight front brake applied but the front tire just wants to keep pushing ahead(front tire is new michelin m12 xc). Will raising the forks higher in clamps give the bike more bite in corners or reduce rebound damping in forks help. My forks are 5mm from clamp to top off fork now( (which is stock) should I move them up so I have 9mm from clamp to top off clamp. My bike is very stable at speed and never gives me any head shake. Any help would be great. When I ride my sons yz 125 the front tire bite really good with no pushing feel but does feel a lot more twitchy or quicker steering than my cr and it has only 5mm between clamp and forks. Thanks for any help.
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I know exactly what you mean . This may not be answering the questions but I think it mainly has to do with the shorter geometry of the YZ - they just turn easier . The YZ is smaller . The 09 cr may be better with smaller frame and 50mm Zochs and I guess the '10 Kayaba forks are better again . I would try raising the forks to 9mm above clamps .
    and /or take the bike to a suspension guy and see what they can do for you .
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :lol:
    Whoops, got some threads mixed up....never mind.
  4. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for the help so far. I did have my suspension done and seems to work great or alot better than stock. I agree with rockdancer it might be the bigger frame which makes the the bike the most stable bike I have ridden but also why it wants to push the front end in corners more (my sag is set at 105mm) and this is my only complaint about bike. If I could get it to turn like yz but still be stable in rough high speed section I would be very happy. I only ride tracks with bike and on most tracks never get over 4th gear wide open. So will my question is has anybody raised there forks and what has been the result. I have already moved forks to 9mm on bike but will not have time to test it out till Sat at the race and hope to not get a bad surprise.
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I did it to mine but on trails didnt really notice any difference- it is supposed to make it turn better
  6. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I would go thru Vinduro's (He did a great job posting this for us) thread and make sure your static sag and rider sag is correct on your front end, then rear. We did Evans 06 this way. Also, Walt talked us into the Motoz tires. We started on the top line on forks then went to third and ended on middle line. His bike feels more stable but doesn't turn as quick. The front end is sticking like glue, though! Could be that your front is stiff and not settling into the corners for bite?
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The rear sag and stiffness has much to do with the front pushing or the opposite which would be choppering out of the corners. Since I weigh 210lbs without gear and bikes are always sprung for lighter guys I'm always dealing with the opposite problem. I set my dampening and stiffness so that when I'm braking hard front and back into a corner the bike squats evenly and when in whoops under power the front is slightly up. This seems to give me the best all around handling and the best cornering. My bike is a 09 WR250 which I'm sure is not as nimble as your 125 but the principals are the same.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Could be many small things or many you just need a tire air pressure change? The sag is what needs to be checked first on both ends ...

Moving the forks up and in the clamps should make a difference but in most cases this ADJ just adds to the overall feel \ turning \ stability of the bike and not a end all solution ... Feel free to move them around ... maybe you can get what you are looking for here .... Most people never go past the 3rd line marked on each fork ...

Are your forks collapsing when you move forward? Dragging that front brake should collapse the forks even more to shorten the rake angle again to aid in turning ....
  9. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Less sag would help, i ran the forks in my 09' cr about 15mm up when i first got the bike, still had good straighline stability i thought. WHat i found was that i was cutting to sharp, bike wanted to oversteer so i was fighting back in the turns. More than likely the YZ has a different offset in the clamps, which is helping it. That seems to have more affect on front tire traction than tube height.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    It has at least been implied above, but stiffening up the back can make a big difference in making the front bite.
    lankydoug likes this.
  11. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am going to go with moving fork up to 10mm or middle line and also try 4 less clicks of rebound and see how it works out. Montgob I know what you mean about oversteer I do feel that sometimes on yz 125 if I can get just little more front wheel bite without it wanting to tuck the front end under me the cr would be a great corning bike with good stablablity in high speed sections also. It funny how I can always make a excuse for not being fast yet If I put a fast pro on my bike there seems to be no problem! Thanks again for help.
  12. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

On the KX250F's they get closer offset clamps to get em to turn, like from 24mm stock the hot setup is 22mm offset. Or 20mm. My husky turns circles around my old KXF, but in the right hands that kx can run circles around me on my CR. Would be interesting to find out if any stock huskys have a different offset clamp that would swap with yours to help you out.
  13. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Had very good race on weekend got seventh place which is my best placing yet. Moving the forks up to 10mm helped front tire bite more and push less and stability was still the same. I did put the 4 more clicks rebound back in forks seems to work better on whoops. So overall happy with setup now.
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    do you think the later model frame is as stable as the 08 ?
  15. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am not sure my 08 cr husky is the only husky I have rode would be nice to know if newer cr handle much difference.
  16. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    from what I can gather and from my 2010 TE experience I think the new frame is smaller and turns better . Not as comfortable if you are 6ft +.
    For whatever reason my newer frame would get more head shake - so maybe not as stable
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hummm my 08 CR144 never washes /pushes out the front. I have had it try and tuck a couple of times. Good thing the bike is so light and I can stop it from chunking me on the ground. I rode a friends 09 a few times and it did feel calmer and more laid out than my 08 but it may be due to the difference in seating as much as anything else. I feel like I'm setting in my 08 and on top of his 09. His 09 and my 2010 TC feel the same to me. I think me being and old fart at 52 now I like the setting "in" feeling like my 08 and my 2010 GG 300 a little better; brings back old bike memories I guess. Anyway glad you got your 08 working better.