1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Howe to make the WR 125 a bit more DS friendly?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Lime, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

I am going to start studying now in the spring and I’m going to keep studying for 2 years. I can’t afford to us both of my bikes. A KTM 640 Adventure and a Husqvarna WR 125. (Yes I know, bad sentence. But couldn’t figure out a better phrase) :doh:

So the KTM will not be unused for 2 years but I will still be able to drive on gravel/dirt roads some times.

So now I'm wondering how I can make my 2011 Husqvarnan WR 125 little more gravel-road friendly.

Right now it is use the Husqvarna for enduro so I ride most single-tracks. I have a bit of road to get to the track and it is comfortable in speeds around 55km/h and maximum speed about 100km/h at RPM stop :busted:

It would be nice to be able cruse in speeds around 70km/h on bigger dirt roads. (If it is possible)

Every year me and my friends ride to a place and stay over the weekend and to ride small dirt and gravel roads. I hope I can do this whit the Husqvarna. But instead of driving the 250km to get there whit my motorcycle this year I will load the bike on my car :rolleyes:

So which sprocket (correct word?) is best suited for my WR 125 from 2011 for this? A 2 sizes bigger front sprocket maybe is enough?

And another thing, there’s not so many petrol station where we are going. If I am easy on the throttle, how many km can I ride whit the original gas tank?
    Xcuvator likes this.
  2. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Your English is fine! Everything your wrote is easy to understand.

If you are road riding, try a 14 front sprocket. I would suggest getting a big tank for longer rides, or get an auxiliary tank that mounts where your front number plate is. Also, the new Lectron Carburetor is supposed to help you get way better gas mileage.

If you need more power, there is always the big bore kits. Skip the 144 and go straight for the 165!
  3. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    What is the sprocket combination you have now on the bike ?
    13-50?

try a 13-47 or even a 14-47

it gets the pep out of the bike but it will give you the cruising speed you need

regarding the petrol stops

get a oversize tank and get a metering carb (look for lectron threads on this forum)

this will be a combination of carrying more fuel and getting more KM out of a liter petrol.

personally i am not a good benchmark for how many KM on a tank (I don't care to much and I ride, :rolleyes: ehh lets say very assertive)

It does preserve front tires :D yet it consumes way more rear tires so in total not realy a win situation yet big grins in the process of doing it :D.

Robert-Jan
  4. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry, forgot to count the sprocket, I will do it tomorrow.

I don’t have the money to buy a new gastank or a new carburetor :( Then I just could use my KTM for this things. That is why I wonder about the range, if I am going to do some dirt road exploration. It would be nice to know how much fuel the bike consumes on the road. Or I just have to test as son the snow goes away :)

Whit the KTM Adventure and the 28 liter tank :D I never had to worry about fuel ore where the petrol stations where
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    It sounds like you are keeping both bikes? Then it may not save any money to always ride one and park the other. Is there a reason you don't want to ride the KTM on the longer rides? (your English is better than my Swedish!!)
  6. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes i am keeping both bikes. The KTM 640 Adventure is the perfect "street" bike for me. I can go for long holiday rides one week with my girlfriend and the next week i can keep up the pace with enduro bikes on small gravel roads. And all this whit out changing the oil every 15h and woring about when i have to change the piston. And they don't make them anymore so it is a keeper! [IMG]

I can't have both bikes insured and ready for the road all the time, it is to expensive. It is more fun to drive my Husqvarna on the track than it is to drive the KTM on the road so i am only be using the Husqvarna it for the next 2 years. So if it is possible im am going to use it as a dual sport a couple of times a year.
  7. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Insurance. Yes that makes sense. Stay in school, get a good job, enjoy dirt biking!
  8. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Throw a 14t front sprocket, and a 47-48 on the rear, fill her up, and go test it. I haven't heard of anyone trying to dualsport a 125 before, so getting an accurate km per tank might be tricky.
  9. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

My gearing is 13/52. So when the season begins i am going to try 15/52 when i use it as a dual sport.

Some one has to be the first to use ha Husqvarna WR 125 as a dual sport. So, my gentlemen. In spring 2013 im am going to make history!

And repport back to cafehusky howe god the WR 125 is at dual sport and howe many km i can go on a tank.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  10. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I doubt that you will fit a 15 counter sprocket, if so it would be a tight fit to be honest never heard of it or came across on a website.

I would look more into the 47 rear option

Robert-Jan
  11. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    drop forks/soften rear check your jetting, try a trials tyre dot approved, slightly overtighten headset to lessen head shake, cut seat if height is a problem when stopped at lights etc.make sure you do the stand mod and get rid of auto retract.these are all no cost maybe have the seat refoamed to your liking.
  12. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    what is auto retract?

Robert-Jan
  13. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

Robert-Jan: You where right. I couldn't find a 15 counter sprocket, only a 14 so when it is time i try a 47 counter rear sprocket and take it from there.

And thanks everybody for the tips :)
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the SMR125 husky used to be the best selling husky made and are all over the streets in Europe. Kinda cool.
  15. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ah, yes, I guess i lied.... I have heard of this! Many, Many times! Maybe someone will chime in with the KM info he is looking for afterall! Thanks K!
  16. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I have had to "dual sport" my wr125 before when a buddy dumped his KTM 400 in the creek and we could not get it restarted. We were a long way from the truck and I used a combo of gravel roads and highway to go get my truck. I have 12-50 gearing with the 2.4 gal. tank and went close to 50 miles without hitting reserve, but did a whole lot of short shifting and kept rpm's very low.