1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husky 125 vs. YZ125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by lankydoug, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I've been looking to buy a good used 125 Husky for about a year. Iv'e scanned Craigslist and local race forums but no luck. Every time I found one it was 1,000 miles away and not cheap. I ran across a really clean 05 YZ125 at a great price this week so I bought it. I have to say that for a stock bike this is the best handling bike I've ever ridden.

My question is has anyone ridden both bike and how do they compare? I'd still like to have a Husky especially if it's better than this YZ.

My motive for buying the YZ125 was to get some of my son's friends riding and sell the bikes to them until there is a big local group of young riders. I've been trying to promote trials as well but that is even harder to do.
  2. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I liked the yz but you had to "ride" it, using a lot of energy. The husky seems to be easier to ride with more usable powerband. Husky handles better IMO also.
    lankydoug likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have ridden both extensively. The Yamaha is very good, solid bike, works well. The husky makes more power, handles far better and is just as solid and the motor is near indestructible for a 125. I would buy the husky over the Yamaha all day long. Nothing wrong with the Yamaha just feel the husky is a better package.
  4. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    One of my best friends has a YZ125, it is a good bike, although the kick start shaft broke off last ride leaving him push starting it. My husky when it was in 125 mode had a LOT more bottom and mid, but he keeps up just fine. I think he Paid $1000 for it, plus all the wear items that go on an older bike he's probably into it for near $2400.
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I think the YZ turns very well but more twitchy and unforgiving on trails . The husky ( WR anyway) will sail through rough stuff whilst the yZ will be throwing you around . The yZ has similar power - less top but more low to mid IMO
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not even close IMHO the Husky all day long. I have the 08 CR (now WB165) and picked up a 2007 YZ just to flip and after a few rides I honestly wasn't impressed. It felt snapper off the bottom than my CR 125 was but after that the CR was stronger and pulled much longer and harder through the mid/top. Handling, brakes, turning, power all better with the Husky. The YZ just didn't feel as solid either; felt cheap. I was frankly expecting more from the YZ after all the mag reviews over the years. Just my .02.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Sounds like I need to ride a CR or WR 125 to compare. Problem is, I don't know of one around here except a new one at the dealer.