1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husky 144/150 vs. KTM200 vs Gasgas200

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firffighter, Sep 14, 2011.

1. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking at an excuse to get a smaller cc big in my garage. My son has an older KDX200 now and it is in great shape, with the usual mods. He is progressing quickly though and I would like to get him an updated version of the KDX.

I also secretly want one in my garage so I can ride it too!

I have owned a couple of KTM200's and love them.

Anyone ride the KTM200 or Gasgas200? How would they compare to a Husky144/150?
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I honestly love my WR150 (144). If not enough go with a 175 (167) big bore. Enough said.
    typeone likes this.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I prefer the power delivery of the Husky - I have an 09 200 exc - nice bike but having trouble getting used to where the power comes on
    Crashed mine on first ride - broken arm
    I like that you can give smaller bike more throttle without it going ballistic
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The 200s feel big and cumbersome compared to the 150. the 150 is more fun, will make you a better rider and is as fast as any bike in a lot of situations and faster in many as well. My prediction is if you get the 150 you will shortly get your own or take that one. Its a really cool bike.
  5. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm working on a 155 motor at the moment. 144 top end with +4mm stroke. Should have the same or more grunt as the 144 with more on top.
  6. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow! To hear someone refer to the 200 as "big" or "cumbersome" is pretty strong. Having owned 2 of the KTM 200's they certainly felt more like a mt. bike with a motor compared to many of the other bikes I have owned over the years. The KTM 200 or even my KDX felt smaller, lighter and quicker than my Gasgas 300 and KTM 300. So, the Husky must be a feather weight in comparison.

I rode on Monday with a KDX owner who is looking at buying a Gasgas 300. I let him ride my Gasser for about 5 miles while I rode his KDX. I had a hoot on the KDX! I forgot how fun that motor is. Just enough grunt to carry a gear high if needed, but rips when in the upper revs. I like how the KDX has smooth delivery without an abrupt hit. Now, the rest of the bike feels outdated for sure.

I guess what I am looking for is a KDX type power delivery in an updated package. I dont want my son, to have to be on the pipe all of the time since we ride some fairly technical stuff where you need to lug to make traction. How would the Husky fit this description? I know some of you have come off of the KDX's and are on the smaller Huskys.

I know the KTM can accomplish this, but I just dont like Orange bikes all that well. The gasgas 200 seems like it would be a nice fit, but to find a used one is nearly impossible and it sounds like they take quite a bit of tuning to get them to perform nicely.

And yes, I might even need a bike for myself like I described above. Maybe 2 Husky WR150's from Bill's in Salem!
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    These are hill climbing machines and do not need ridden on the pipe. Amazing bikes. they LOVE steep and technical. The bike with the helmet on the handlebar was a KDX200 rider who could not sell it fast enough after riding my husky 125.

3 125/144's at the top of green MT lookout in Gifford. We all have bigger bikes and choose to bring these as the fun factor is through the roof.

[IMG]

These bikes will climb most anything and I have often times found myself waiting for others on 300's and such get up. The do not wheelie, just hook up and growl up the hill. Look at Jakes vidios there is piles of video of him and us climbing everything off the pipe. You have to ride one to understand.
    Parfo79 likes this.
  8. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
  9. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had the GasGas 200 for a couple of years, nice enough but did feel like an underpowered 250. Almost straight away I thought I should have bought a 250, it did have a tractible bottom end but not a lot up at the top. It was ok for woods/technical stuff but not much excitement or fun factor.
    erigre likes this.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I have an 03 GasGas EC200 and while I can't compare it to a KTM or a 125/150 Husky I can compare it to my 09 WR250 and to me they are way different. My GasGas has a 12 oz flywheel weight and the light race ignition. Without the flywheel weight is feels like a beast of a 125 but still not as hard to hang on to as my WR250 when it hits it's stride. I find that after I put the FFW on the Gasser it was really easy to ride and a perfect bike for my son to get experience on. Without the FFW it was a perfect bike for an expert rider who can ride it on the pipe all day long. The Gasser is much more of a 125 feeling bike and doesn't resist getting thrown around like my 250 does. The gasser feels like a 7/8th scale bike to me and since I'm 6'6" I prefer to ride the Husky with low and back Fastway pegs and a tall Guts seat.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

the funny thing is that WR150 (now that it is jetted correctly) requires less clutch than about any bike that I have ridden. INCLUDING my KTM 525 / 530, Honda XR600, 440, 315 . Some bikes require clutch work to keep on the power and others require clutch work to regulate the massive torque. The WR150 is a just gas it and ride without too much of anything but go.
    john01 likes this.
  12. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Here is a video of the CR125 climbing some technical switchbacks, off the pipe. I have ridden the KTM200, owned 2 kdx200's and a kdx220. The 125 for me is a better bike. The fun factor is through the roof. I feel I am faster on it, and more important for me I am faster for longer because it is so easy to ride. I really think the gasgas is a great platform for shorter people, it really feels similar to the KDX ergo wise to me. The open platform of the Husky's just feels like home to me now.

This section is called the Devils staircase. Not bad for a 125, mx version even.
    [IMG]

Later,
    WHITEROCKET5.9 and lankydoug like this.
  13. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

linc no workie
  14. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Odd, works fine for me.

Try this...

Later,
  15. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice Jake! Now that is some clutch work/abuse! BTW, how is the clutch pull on a Husky? My Gasser has the hydro clutch and it is super smooth.

My son's not quite ready for Devil's staircase yet, but he has tackled some decent hills and can do the switchbacks at Hood River without problems.

The reality is that most of our riding ends up being McCubbins gulch and Capitol because they are easiest to get to. We hit China Hat 3 times this year as well, but do the EFR stuff in the trees. The point being, I guess I worry so much about the smaller bike for hills and it just is not an issue, especially for my son who likes the more flowing stuff anyway.

Here is the bike I have been interested in. A long drive, but seems like a good price for a nice bike.

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcd/2526154388.html

BTW, does the CR have a 18" or 19" rear wheel?
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

CR's have the 18.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That should be on a commercial to sell CR125s.
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nice looking bike. BTW I agree with vinduro on the clutch deal; no need to use a clutch much with a 144. I cover and use the clutch much more on my 2010 GG300 than I do my 08 CR144.
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I thought about getting a left over 09 CR125 but decided on the 250 because I thought I would need the extra cc s for high altitude and also because I weigh 210lbs. If I would have seen that video a year ago I might be riding one now.
  20. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Thanks, I use the clutch a lot. but I don't abuse it. I slipp it all day but don't burn it. :D I have been riding my WR250f for 6 years, a ton of hours and use the clutch the same as my 125. It still has the stock plates and they were still in spec about 10 hours ago. The abuse card goes to Montgob1 he is murder on clutches, already replaced the clutch in his 09 144 and he bought it a month or so after I did.

The CR comes with a 19" rear wheel.

That is a decent deal on the CR144, if it were me I would stick with the 2009 and newer. They handle much better in my opinion. Shane has a 09 WR125 for sale in Vancouver, you could probably get it for close to that one as far as price goes.

Later,