1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husky 144/156 Vs Ktm 150xc

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wdsracer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. wdsracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 honda xr250r
    Have any of you 144/156 owners ridden the KTM 150xc or sx? Just wondering how they compare low end power wise?
  2. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have both a 2012 WR125 and a 2012 Ktm 150XC.....In my limited time riding both as it's not full on riding season here I'd say it would be splitting hairs as far as low end goes and that is really a relative term as neither is much on the low end meter but both pull forward fine on the low end if that makes sense but it's mid and upper where both make their power and the fun factor kicks in.
    Both are good solid bikes and personally the KTM is better out of the box as the WR needs some tinkering and massaging to unleash the engine from it's stock form while the KTM has no glitches and comes jetted very cleanly.....Suspension wise and handling they are both first rate for me....
    Thus far if I had to rate them I'd give the nod to the KTM as stock the package is very impressive for the average weekend warrior...It has great manners starting,jetting,handling etc. and is a gas and go set up :thumbsup:
    The Husky is good but out of the box you'll need to tweak the engine Jetting,PV springs etc to get it to perform up to par...
  3. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    And then there's price. Is the KTM worth a grand more? Not on my planet. ;)
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

When I bought my 09, even with it being at a big discount, it was no cheaper then getting a 150XC. That is once I factored in the IMS tank and Keihin carb for the Husky. But I would much rather ride a Husky then a KTM regardless of price. It would be nice if Husky could have their bikes ready to run when new. I did a lot of tinkering on mine and it runs great now but not everyone likes to mess with their bikes as much as I do.
  5. wdsracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 honda xr250r
    Thanks for the feed back on both bikes thats great that you have both and can offer up a comparison. :thumbsup:I think I might look for an older cr125 husky and play around with the motor. The older huskys are more in my price range, there are not many ktm 150xc's used out there yet.
  6. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Besides being less expensive, is the KTM street legal from the showroom? My WR was...........may not matter to some but for me.....a no brainer.
  7. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Husky with a 144cc top end or 150 kit has a lot of low end power and hard to think you would want more. The KTM is also good but doesn't handle as well (IMO) as the Husky. If you want more you can also get the 165cc top end. Not a lot more top but smoother and noticeably stronger low end.
  8. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

If a plate is your quest then your choice is compromised and Husky has that advantage(at least in our state)....You just need to be ready to tinker as there's a reason there are as many WR125 jetting threads etc here and else where on the web...
    Again I'm fortunate enough to own both so I'm not brand defensive as so many are on a brand specific site and I'm just giving one mans honest real world evaluation as the OP asked for....
    In that regard I stand by that in my opinion stock out of the box the 2012 KTM 150XC is a great bike and would be choice with my money if I could only own one regardless of the cost difference...
  9. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    GASP!? :eek: NO KTM........KTM BAD!!!:D In all seriousness I completely agree with Vinduro. I cant imagine having or needing more bottom end than a Husky 144 or 165. I have not ridden a KTM 150 though so take this as a biased opinion. If anyone has a KTM 150 they want me to ride so I can make an accurate comparison let me know!:banana:
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Never owned a Husky WR 125/150 or a KTM XC 150. But I've owned 3 CR 125/150's and 2 KTM 144/150 SX's. Go to "KTM Talk" and research the KTM 150 motor. You'll find lots of great info about it being a hand grenade. I personally witnessed an '08 144 seize in the middle of a moto and it wasn't pretty. Luckily, neither of our KTM's blew up, but I sold the '08 144 out of fear that it would. Then, like an idiot, I bought a 2010 150 thinking that KTM fixed their shoddy design problem with the head. They didn't. Plenty of '10 KTM 150's were still grenading, so I sold that POS too and never even thought about another KTM since.
    Clete likes this.
  11. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have also seen two KTM 150sx blow up in a race with less than 50 hours. Both were rode hard but no worse than my sons 2010 yz125 that still runs great with well over 100 hours and cylinder still looks great and my 2008 cr150 has over 150 hours and still runs great.
  12. wdsracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 honda xr250r
    I heard about some 08 144's blowing up but I thought they had that fixed in 09, guess not. That is strange because the 200 motor is pretty reliable I have owned 2 of those bikes i guess the missed the mark on the 144. Thanks for all the feed back guys it is greatly appreciated.
  13. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The 150 is based on the 125. The 200 is a different animal. KTM screwed something up when going from the 125 to 144. The issue started with the '07 144's. Hopefully... SURELY... in 5 years they've FINALLY got it sorted out. If so, it's still too late for me.
  14. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am not sure but it I think it had to with the exhaust port, power valve area being to thin and breaking. I asked the guy who bike blew up.
  15. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've ridden them both.

The KTM is set up right out of the box and I think a bit better in the sand I rode it in.
    It came with a big tank and ripped in the sand. More MX'ish.

My Husky 144 does have more bottom end and seems suited for larger riders.

The Husky is cheaper too.

Norman's Husky is set up perfectly for rocks and slop!
  16. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Does the Husky 144 share the same bottom end as the 125 husky? I know the KTM's only share the same cases all are different bore and stroke. I know of one thread on KTM TALK where a guy is currently building a true 175 with a 125 crank IDK what rod and a 200 cylinder.
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Yes.