Husky Memorial - February 13th

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by gpsbilly, Dec 23, 2009.

1. gpsbilly Husqvarna
    C Class

Saturday, February 13th, 2010
    Old Shell Station at Kramer junction
    Be ready to ride at 9AM

Main Link... www.gpsbilly.com/rides/husky.htm
    Start/Finish... www.gpsbilly.com/rides/kramer.htm
    Detailed Ride Info... www.gpsbilly.com/rides/husky-ride-info.htm
    GPS Track... www.gpsbilly.com/rides/tracks/husky.gdb

Please note that my previous map and track included routes that I was unable to verify as open. Both are now as close to the Friends of Jawbone map as I could make them. Why the FOJ? Read the detailed ride info -- all of it... thanks. Please also note that Kramer Station road (R60) is open to stickered bikes but NOT the road that skirts Solar City. If you decide to skirt Solar City on a stickered bike, please ride as slowly and noiselessly as possible. Or take the pipeline road between Fremont road and Kramer junction (the gray track) -- it's just as fast and fun as Kramer Station road and a bit shorter, too. Have fun, be safe...

--Bill
  2. HuskyT Moderator

Is the ride on the 14th or the 13th?

BTW... Nice to see a detailed map and plan for the ride!

You will have to tell me if my 1ST Marine Division Flag is still flying on the flagpole.

T
  3. Doormandan Husqvarna
    A Class

I would love to go Saturday only. Are you locked in on that weekend? Those of us with significant others might have a issue due to Valentines Day, if you could pull off another weekend I would just stay at camp B
    Dan L
  4. HuskyT Moderator

I too would be interested if on an alternate weekend. Not planning on touching my bike that weekend.

I would also probably have about three others with me. Would be interested in the tougher route. Even with the MX tank on my TC450 I can carry an extra gallon of gas in my camelback and am good for approx 110 miles.

T
  5. Doormandan Husqvarna
    A Class

Bump

Any further talk of changing the weekend?
    Dan:thumbsup:
  6. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

gps track file is not working. fyi.

I'd love to make this ride, but I dunno if I will be able yet.
  7. road dog Husqvarna
    C Class

Would like to ride Husky memorial loop 2/13/2010.

Is this for Husky only?
  8. gpsbilly Husqvarna
    C Class

No, any brand -- just note the places where the route is slightly different depending on whether your bike is stickered or plated...
  9. Dunlop Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610 ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Daytona 675R,MV AgustaF3 675
    Waiting

Hope to see you guys at Kramar Junction Saturday morning.
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Remember Feb 13 and 14 is round 2 of the National Hare and Hound in Red Mountain just a few miles from where you guys are going Try to make a run over to see the race
    Or maybe some of us might just ride over from Red Mt over to you guys on sat the 13 th
  11. gpsbilly Husqvarna
    C Class

OK, next Saturday to the memorial. Hopefully by now, everyone who has decided to do it has downloaded the track or mileage chart for the route they want to take. And printed the map. Other than me publishing ways to get out to the memorial and back, this is not an organized ride. Just show up, have fun and be safe... www.gpsbilly.com/rides/husky.htm

The group I am riding with is leaving the old Shell station at Kramer junction at 9AM, and we are taking the ALT-1 track. At just over 60 miles, it's the shortest of the three routes. The other two are just under 80 miles. The main route (light green) is pretty easy stuff. And perhaps too boring for some of you, so you might consider the ALT-2 route. Definitely not what I'd call hard, but certainly more challenging than the other two. The ALT-1 track is slightly more challenging than the main route, especially the section between the memorial and Cuddeback.

If you plan to ride the ALT-1 route with my group, it would be nice to get an email saying so. And perhaps your cell phone number, too. If you email me, you'll get mine. I don't expect very many riders next Saturday, but if more than 10 show up, I'll suggest we break into more than one group. If it becomes obvious that we have a mix of slow to fast guys, separate groups would definitely be called for. I don't particularly enjoy leading in the first place. Seems like I'm always riding too fast or too slow for everyone following me. In fact, I don't see this as a follow the leader ride anyway. You all have access to the tracks, charts and map, so everyone is pretty much free to do their own thing as far as I am concerned. But if you start with me, I'll consider you my riding buddies for the day. We'll count heads, stay together and take turns at the front -- please don't make me lead all day... :notworthy:

Finally, and this may not be the best place to bring this up -- well, maybe it is is -- but we've all heard that the entire WEMO network of designated roads and trails was supposedly invalidated by the suit against the BLM last fall. The BLM, however, still considers the WEMO designations as the current network. And the people who sued the BLM over the designations are not OHV-friendly folks. They would therefore see our violation of closed routes as justification for suing the BLM again to close even more trails.

With the WEMO designations in a kind of interim state, the BLM has pretty much stopped maintaining signs, open or closed. Hence their rule that we should consider any road or trail as closed unless signed open. Makes it easier on them but harder on us. It's my understanding, however, that if a road or trail has been designated as open in the WEMO plan, then it is open, with or without a sign. So you will see very few signs out there, but if you do please note the coordinates or approximate location and send it to me.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that we have to be WEMO experts to make sure we don't find ourselves toe to toe with a ranger. Or to prevent ourselves from being one more reason why a route is closed. Some of you are WEMO experts, but the one I like most is the Friends of Jawbone, who work closely with the BLM to keep their map current with the WEMO designations, including changes in the record of decisions.

All that to say that the routes for this ride are as legal (open) as I can make them. Thanks for wading through all this...

Let's ride!

--Bill
  12. Dunlop Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610 ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    Please let me know

Please count me in for the next ride to the Husky memorial.

I woke up late Saturday morning for this ride and did not make it to somewhere near the memorial until around 1300. I tried to make it there with a father and two sons I met while topping off for gas in Johannesburg since the father said he had been there before and saved the GPS coordinates from this visit.
    Sadly the closest we got was 1.2 miles from the memorial. When facing towards Cuddeback lake his GPS said we were North West of the site and needed to go South East but we made at least 4 loops of trails around the area with the GPS always stating we were nearby.
    Even when trying to get to a high point we could not see the site; how the heck do people get their Jeeps and two wheel drive trucks back there?
  13. Dunlop Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610 ie
    Other Motorcycles:
  14. gpsbilly Husqvarna
    C Class

Don't know what to tell you Dunlop. I gave you a detailed mileage chart from J'Burg to the monument because you didn't have a gps but it sounds like you opted to follow the father and got lost. All I can say is get a gps and learn how to use it...?
  15. road dog Husqvarna
    C Class

gpsbill,
    Met you at kramer junction. Our small group enjoyed the ride. First trip to memorial we didn't know what to expect, tugged on the heart strings a bit. We decided at Easter the memorial will be this years group ride for all ages from our camp. Granny ride if you will. Thanks for a fun day hope to meet again!
  16. gpsbilly Husqvarna
    C Class

Glad you had a good ride. Yeah, tugs on my heart, too, every time. My buddys helped me install a plaque for my late wife a few years ago. Perhaps you saw it. What group are you in? Something from CH?