Husky Pits @ Baja 1000--wanna work a pit?

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Baja 1000 is in November.

Ive wondered for years now if we could put together Husky Pits for the big races in Baja.

Its a hoot. But its also not for the timid. Its dusty, usually remote, cold at night, and noisy. 800hp trophy trucks will be roaring past all night long. :eek:

Would you be interested in driving down to baja, camping out in the middle of nowhere, staying up all night, and splashing some gas into just a hand full of guys racing on Huskys? Carrying with you spares, food/drinks, radios, banners, lights/generator, tools, table, chairs, tents, and beer.

Then waiting many hours more until all cars/trucks have gotten off the course, then driving home?

Pay--well, we can probably pay your gas, and maybe a bit for tacos.
    Its gonna be a volunteer effort.

IM NOT SAYING WE WILL DO THIS. JUST WANT TO SEE IF THERE IS AN INTEREST. :)

Please post if this is something you would be interested in doing. :thumbsup:
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

Yep I'm pretty interested. But I gotta ask, is it really as much fun as you outlined?:lol:
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its awesome. The stars at night in baja are just unreal. The smell of the burning mesquite and sage in the bonfire is something from the 19th century.

The racers are mostly boring, but a few guys with broken bikes, or broken bones, or maybe just a trophy truck missing a front tire--all come limping along, and for 26 minutes your adrenaline spike will have you tingling as you try everything to help them out.

Oh yeah--the "ROAR" sound of the coming trophy trucks--when they are 2-3 miles away. Its positively dragon like. Seriously--it doesnt sound like a truck at all, they sound like dragons. Then they go by at 108mph, like 8 feet way, and the ground shakes. Its an incredible rush.

The bikes coming in for gas too, all jacked up on race adrenaline, acting like they are from another planet--4,5,6 ,7 seconds....OK GOOOOOOO !And off they go.

Its a freakin great time.

All the drunk Mexicans over in the next canyon are cool too. They will bring you homemade burritos their mom made at the ranch. Yumm.

Hope that adds some color. I gotta go get a haircut. I JUST GOT A JOB !! I CAN RACE AGAIN !:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Congratulations!:thumbsup: I'll be glad when I can say that too.
  5. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I have the time I'm in. I love being in remote areas of baja pitting. Well see if this thread has any momentum in a few months.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Yeah as I slide to a stop and the quick fill is inserted, goggles swapped, pack of GU, refill the liquid pack, Tire/wheel changes, Clean Air filter inserted, a little oil added...............sorry Mike just kidding,,its SEN class closed course racing only for me. Hope to see something come together for this. R