Husqvarna Concept Baja

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Ex HVUK, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Unveiled today in Milan:

[IMG]

Press Release

Exactly one year ago, Husqvarna presented the Husqvarna Concept MOAB at the EICMA in Milan ‑ a study designed as a modern interpretation of the scrambler theme. It is a motorcycle which embodies both the identity and the history of the Husqvarna Motorcycles brand.

Husqvarna Motorcycles is now taking idea this one step further with the Concept BAJA. The motorcycle combines tradition and modern design and, in conjunction with cutting-edge technology, reflects the essence of what Husqvarna Motorcycles stood for in the sixties and seventies.

In over 100 years of company history, Husqvarna Motorcycles has been able to achieve outstanding success in international off-road racing, with
    82 World Championship titles to its name to date. Ongoing success in racing in particular made Husqvarna Motorcycles a highly sought-after brand which became increasingly popular not just in Europe but also in the USA.

The widespread acclaim of Husqvarna Motorcycles was reinforced by famous riders of the times, but above all by one particular celebrity motorcycling fan: American actor Steve McQueen. McQueen was not just an enthusiastic motorcyclist and motor racing fan, he also achieved success himself on the race track on both two and four wheels. Among other things he entered the Six Days in 1964.

The cover photo of the US magazine “Sports Illustrated” dated August 23rd 1971 showing a bare-chested Steve McQueen doing a jump on a Husqvarna Cross 400 remains legendary to this day. The McQueen-Husqvarna combination eventually became the idol of a whole generation of off-road fans ‑ and the Husqvarna Cross 400 has been taken as the historical design role model for the Husqvarna Concept BAJA.

Using modern-day technologies, the Husqvarna Concept BAJA recalls this unique era in American motorcycle racing, featuring the purist, sporty and dynamic styling which is typical of Husqvarna.
    The multi-section architecture of the body displays a very clear, purist style. The slim shape of the saddle instantly recalls the Husqvarna models of the 1970s. Meanwhile the concave surfaces of the front and rear mudguard feature certain stylistic elements which are to be found in the latest generation of the Husqvarna models.

The Husqvarna Concept BAJA is powered by a liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine. Power transmission is by means of a five-speed gearbox via roller chain to the rear wheel.
    In terms of suspension, the Husqvarna Concept Baja features an agile chassis based on a steel tube frame. Front wheel suspension is taken care of by a torsionally stiff upside-down fork, while the rear wheel is controlled by a torsion-resistant dual swinging arm in conjunction with a central spring strut hinged on a lever system. Thanks to the bike's generous spring travel, the agile handling properties of the Husqvarna Concept BAJA go hand in hand with excellent qualities for light off-road riding.

The Husqvarna study meets its aspiration to tackle light terrain by means of 19-inch and 17-inch wire spoke wheels at front and rear respectively, and solid stopping power
    is provided at both front and rear by a Brembo hydraulic disc brake system.

More info to follow...

Dave
    Coffee likes this.
  2. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Rear view:

[IMG]

Dave
    Coffee likes this.
  3. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    this is basically the same bike as the other two 650s with different styling?
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    19 inch front.
  5. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    I feel like Charlton Heston in the final scene of Planet Of The Apes. Oh well, at least they fixed the headlight.

*Maybe* we'll get a new 2-stroke out of all this.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Interesting, quite interesting... found this in google archives. For those who might be interested (ladies):

[IMG]
  7. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I hate it when manufacturers stop making cutting edge quality products and attempt to cash in on faux vintage copies. It´s a sure sign that they´ve given up on striving to be market leaders. The joke´s gone too far. But all is not lost if this is just a `concept´.
    rasputin likes this.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm confused why there is less than positive reception? :confused:

In the USA this would be another 650 to choose from, which could appeal to (possibly) a large number of people yearning to relive the past - which would probably be at a time in there lives when they could afford it.

Husqvarna would not need to do much to bring this to market (small cost & little risk), and would probably create more sales & profit - which I believe is the point to their existence.

?
    HVUK, Gotlabs and water racer like this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    they floated this at the show last year and surprisingly to me they got good response over that ugly thing. So they took info that people said they wanted one and made it happen. Was EZ as they just change an existing platform and make it into something people said they want. I see nothing wrong with good business sense regardless if i think it is good or not. I personally hate that thing.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Im betting the Terra skidplate bolts right on....
  11. rajobigguy Administrator

Agreed. I guess that it's a sign of age but personally I like the retro look on cars and motorcycles and I don't think it's because they are running out of new ideas. Examples of the retro look are the Mustang, Camero and Challangers. They all incorpaorate the newer technology but in a package that harkens back to the muscle car era. All these machines are very positively received and I dont see why a motorcycle that has a retro look with modern running gear shoudn't be too.
  12. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Yuck! I'd rather have one of these.... Sure wish there was a red and white version of this coming from Italy though..:rolleyes:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. rajobigguy Administrator

14. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    I'm 56 yrs young...I actually like the bike. Like the Terra I bet it looks alot better in person. BMW is smart...this bike will sell lots of units. Lots of changes in the works For Husky...14 will be a really good yr for the dirt models...from what I've read and heard from the peeps at Husky.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    KTM street bikes sales have not been good in the USA. I think it may be a while or never before we see the Nuda here because they will sell in such small numbers. I have seen on web forums where people jump to say they want one and will buy one (TC250) and they sit on the floor. I think when push comes to shove people realize they can buy a bike that is 80% as cool as the nuda for far less $$$.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  17. rajobigguy Administrator

Yes it is. The point that I was trying to make is that people (Clay) want a superbike in the line-up it would be easy enough to put a little Italian artistry on the 1000/1300 Beamer and bring that model to market as a Husky much the same as what they can with the Baja. No matter how you look at it having more bikes in the stable that don't require a huge investment in retooling and engineering is a good thing. Having a nice comfortable and competant adventure bike like the Baja might even mean that they could make the Terra a more aggressive machine, maybe even as good as the last years of the 610:D
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That would be a re-badged bmw.

The proposed Baja bike does not have a bmw equivalent (assuming it is quite similar to the TR650)... at least that is my take on it based on all input I've received.
  19. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Because it's (IMO) a design disaster. Was the cutaway seat stolen from another bike, or is there some bodywork missing? Did a five-year-old attack the number boards with a jigsaw? And the coffin tank - how is that "retro"? That chainguard is straight out of the 1980's - how much effort would it have cost to fix that? Ditto that RHS crank cover - look at the old Triumph speed triple and see how a few simple details like appropriate engine covers can make even the most utilitarian lump look elegant. This all just screams "lazy and cheap."

What really gets up my nose about the recent German monstrosities is that it's getting uncool to ride a Husky around here. All I get is stick from my mates about "those pig ugly chinabikes" - I'm not kidding. Neither can I see kids queueing up to buy a Husqvarna competition bike when all the Huskies they see are cosmetically challenged nails being ridden by middle-aged men who can't quite afford a BMW.

Not impressed. Not impressed at all.
    rasputin and organ donor like this.
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok... thank you for your further thoughts.

It is possible that what is typed might be seen by others that are interested in everyone's thoughts... so the more specific the better. Again, thank you.