Husqvarna SM510 '08 - Fuel starvation / bad fuel pump?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by husky510, May 15, 2014.

1. husky510 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM510R
    Hi guys,

I had a problem with my bike earlier, i couldn't get it to start and run properly after i ran out of gas.. After replacing the fuel filter and new spark plug it ran great again for approx. 70 miles. Suddenly it starts bogging and cutting out after the bike is running hot, it then is hard to start but after cool down it's all good again (until the bike's bit hotter again).. I checked the fuel pump but nothing seems to catch an eye. When the bike cuts out i can clearly hear the fuel pump priming, even when i want to start it again i can clearly hear it prime..
    But i checked the spark plug and it's dry after multiple attempts of starting the bike.

I swapped a friend's tank and the bike seemed to run fine without any problem so the problem must be in that area..

I red about some people mentioning the pump gets filled with dirt inside and it expands when hot so the bike would bog / stall but if it's that case, would i still hear the fuel pump prime?

I just would like to hear some opinions before ordering the CA-cycleworks aftermarket fuel pump.. With shipping to Belgium it would cost me approx. $180 USD so i thought it's worth asking you guys :)!

Thanks alot, appreciate the support!
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Most likely the fuel pump, get it hot and stalling and then switch the bike off and on and listens to the pump as it primes, if it sounds lower in tone or it sounds labored or slow, it's a bad pump.
  3. husky510 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM510R
    Well, i tried to listen each time after it stalled but didn't really noticed any difference.. Anyways, the pump is on its way from CA Cycleworks! Hopefully it arrives soon so i can finally get my bike running again as it should.
  4. darealickt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 WR300
    You said you ran it for 70 miles... that's about how long of a run I get on my EFI SMR bikes before I start to get too low on fuel. It's not that you don't have enough fuel to power the bike, but you don't have enough fuel to cool the in-tank pump. If you are letting the fuel get that low while doing some "sporty riding", you will be completely unsubmerging the pump and it will overheat. I carry MSR fuel canisters in a backpack for just this reason. Fill the tank every time you stop.