1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husqvarna sms 125 2t 2006 vs Ktm exc 125 2001

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by GreekFriend, Aug 23, 2013.

1. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Hello guys. I am about to buy my first bike, and my license can't get me anything more than 125cc so I am looking at 2 stroke bikes only. I am firstly looking the bikes I stated on the title, both with super motard tires and rims. I'd like to hear your opinion on these 2 bikes and which one should I choose.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    both? can you not try them out? youve gott to take one for a spin my instincts tell me the 2006 as its less likly to have rusted siexed bolts and being 5 years newer probably less milage.
    but that depends on privious owners and maintenance.
  3. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Both bikes have been fully rebuild recently. If we suppose that both bikes are on the same condition, which one should I prefer for everyday use in the city?
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    THE HUSKY!:cheers:
  5. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    What are the pros of the husq against the ktm? Would you choose it just because you prefer the brand and you find it more beautiful, or there are also mechanic reasons?
  6. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    the KTM would probably deliver a bit more punch of the 2 yet it would likely wear quicker out as it is engineered to push out more ponies
    the husky sms 125 is a in my opinion a conservative tuned motor that will last for a good time without to much issues

other thing is that the husky engine is for the last 13 years is more or less unchanged so it means that spare parts are available for a good time to come
    not knowing the KTM 125 exc evolution but if this engine is changed a few time in this model (and i would think it did) the spare parts situation is become critical at a much nearer point in time

Robert-Jan
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    just to add on above

My iseu in town riding on a 125 2 stroke is that all people on the road don't anticipate how quick you can be

when they start turning their head to see whats coming behind them you did overtook them already and both bike would be capable do that.

A sms would probably have a slight advantage in the city traffic to cruise through it at a relaxer pace if you want to.

If you go for pure track competition the KTM would be the winner but at a higher price of maintain it.

Robert-Jan
  8. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    So if I understand right, you say that the ktm will probably be stronger, but the husq more reliable and more comfortable for use in the city? I don't want the bike for track competition, but for everyday use, so you'd recommend me the husqvarna if I understood right. The husq has been recently rebuild with wossner piston, nikasil cylinders, keihin pwk 36 carburetor, Vforce3 reed valves, wiseco clutch disks, new gaskets, new stem seals, and it also has a pro circuit exhaust system. Now these for me are just some well known brands with expensive products, but I can't judge if their placement on this bike and on this combination is a right choice, I'd be thankful if a member of the forum, with bigger knowledge than me, could give me his opinion on these parts.

Αlso, please forgive my poor English and my misunderstoods, as it's stated by my username, English is not my first language.
  9. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    is it a proper husky SMS 125 or is it a WR 125 with SM wheels?
    it sounds like the latest one

if that is the case then the husky is similar to the KTM power wise

the SMS125 original have a different set up in power valve actuation and a smaller carb also it weights more, hence the less nervous and peaky power on this model but almost bulletproof other wise

a WR 125 converted to supermotar is the sweet deal and if that is the case the husky is power wise the same level as the KTM yet with a far superior handling

the parts on the bike are good if installed correctly and for sure these parts are put on for performance enhancing purpose:D

Personally i would go for it (husky)

Robert-Jan
  10. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    You come to a Husky site, and ask if you should get a husky or KTM. What do you think the answer is going to be?

Go to KTMtalk and ask the same question. I bet you will get a completely different answer there!

Buy the Husky.
    thanos danellis and MotoMarc36 like this.
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    go husq its 5 years newer that alone for me woud be the clinch if they are the same price similar motor ones more bullet proof and newer ... its a no brainer even if i was brainless (wich i am)
  12. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Thanks for your replies, and for sharing your knowledge with me. I believe that it's a sms and now a wre with motard wheels.

Well, I believe that here is a place for owners and bike lovers, not an advertising group. I think that if the ktm was superior, there would be members that would told me so. Also, on a ktm forum, they talked pretty negatively for the exc, lol.

Yes, right now the husq is by far my first choice. I'll be sad if anything goes wrong and I don't end up owning it.
    Blakelpd5 and juicypips like this.
  13. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Hello guys, could you recommend me some good oils for a 2 stroke engine?
  14. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    In Europe I used always Castrol

Robert-Jan
    GreekFriend likes this.
  15. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    By any chance, do you mean the power rs tts?
  16. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    My choice would be the power1 if your going to be thrashing the poor little thing around the roads
    I use it and it has always been good for me, The rs stuff is more for oil injection systems
    castrol-2-stroke-motocross-oil-power-1-racing-2t-13268-p.jpg
    GreekFriend likes this.
  17. GreekFriend Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    That's what I am going to buy, thanks.
  18. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    don't bother with castrol, I wasted £12 A LITRE for it until I found this,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGHEST-Q...le_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item51a0913a80 my wre 125 has been going strong for half a year with almost daily use on this oil. And wre and sms are very similar originally, both have oil pumps [which the ktm does not] which means you will have to mix the oil and the petrol when you refill the fuel tank if you buy the ktm, whereas the husky will pump the oil to the cylinder for you. Knowing two ktm exc owners, one is a 2003 , the other is a six days model, they are both quicker than me by about a second accelarating but top end speed is very similar, around 85/ 90 mph. I've done 10,600 miles on my bike, plus the 5000 it had already, and it's still on the original bottom end and it's only had three piston kits after the original. I ALWAYS warm my bike up before riding which the ktm owners don't bother doing. So if you want reliability and easy spare parts, get the husky and look after it, put a racing exhaust on and upjet the carb, you'll be nearly as quick as the ktm's. Round the city it's more about the rider too because you can't stay on the power all the time like you can on the track. The ktm's don't like running at low revs because they are tuned higher standard. Get the HUSKY!!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The husky has a super solid motor. The KTM's of that time are horrible suspension wise IMHO. I would much prefer the Husky.

But yeah, what Blake said.
  20. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    I love my huskys (sold my ktms to get them) but if I was limited to a bike regestered as a 125 I would get a newer style ktm 125 and make it a 200 motor then you would have the fastest 125 around lol