I carburated my '08 TE 510-has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by JimO, Dec 18, 2010.

1. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    I put a carburator on my '08 te510 from my '05 te450.

I've got good spark, bike will run for 5 to 10 seconds perfectly then it'll die and I see a flashing neutral light. Did I fake out the bikes computer? Is it noticing that the EFI is not plugged in and it is taking out the spark as a fault?

If anyone has any ideas, I'm ALL EARS.

Jim O.

Attached Files:

2. Helipos Husqvarna
    AA Class

1. Can I ask why you wanted to do this?
    2. What have you done exactually? we would need some details.

Cam
  3. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    it's not a simple "throw in a carb" mod. All of the ignition is interfaced with the ECU and you'll need the complete ignition system from a carb'd bike to go with.
  4. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I wonder if the fuel pump is only allowing fuel for a few seconds???
  5. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    This.

You'll need the whole shibang to make it work.

But... would you be selling your FI stuff? I might be interested..
  6. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Let me start by saying i've had a lot of trouble with EFI in my '08 te 510, both of my bikes were sitting in the garage broken, waiting for a fuel injector for my '08 and bearings and gears for my '05. I wondered if I could carburate the fuel injected bike.

The main difference between both bikes are: Intake manifold, which by putting the '05s head on will fix that. The head is identicle except for the size of the intake and exhaust valves on the '05 450, they are slightly smaller in width.

I was able to get spark by plugging in the fuel injector (photo). I put a fuel petcock on the efi tank (photo) and wha la.

The bike fires up and runs perfect like I stated before, but will die after 5 to 10 seconds, sounds like I lose spark. Then I notice it will throw a code 4SE4 then 3 blinks of neutral light. Im in the process of looking those up.

I want to side with "firebolter" on the ignition system with maybe having to run a carbs ignition. But when I think about it when you spin the flywheel the stator is creating the spark that you need at the spark plug. Is the ECU detecting something is wrone here? hence the codes? I will be honest I not very computer saavy especially when they're on my motorcycle.

Jim O.
  7. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    I have thought about it numerous times.

from the research I did you would need the following:

carb (obviously)
    TC wiring harness
    TC ignition unit
    I would also eliminate the electric starter all together and run kick start only, but thats not necessary.
    Block off plate for the fuel pump
    fuel petcock
  8. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    whats different with the head that wont allow a carb to bolt up?
  9. Helipos Husqvarna
    AA Class

The main thing from the intake side would be a fuel pump failure since it's not wired up. You can try hooking the fuel pump back up and getting it feeding back into the tank for a test to see if it works then. The other thing I thing I just thought of is does the carbied bikes have an air sensor (MAF) in the carby somewhere?

Cam
  10. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I would say the ECU is looking for inputs that are no longer there,or the values that it is receiving are not with in the allowable tolerances.I had thought of doing the same thing earlier this year because of a multiude of problems in sucession.I have a friend that has a TXC instead of the TE and he was willing to swap out all the associated parts or the parts that are specific to the TXC,but proceded to talk me out of it.I am glad that I listened because it works much better than a carb could when it is functioning correctly.Now the fuel pump that is another story.Like I said I believe that you have to change the ECU and I 'm not sure about the ignition/stator. Good luck
  11. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    You shouldnt have to change out the head, Just the rubber intake boot. The only difference I know of between the '05 head and the '06-10 head is the exhaust valves. They are slightly larger from '06 on than they were in '05. I will look into this and let ya know what I can find

As for your other problems, You need a harness and ignition from a TC/TE like those above have spoken of in order for the bike to run properly. The carb and FI ignitions are TOTALLY different. They require different data to function. Waserman is right I would think. There are no longer any inputs (incoming information on crank position, fuel, air, etc) so it doesnt know what to do and cant continue to run without that info.
  12. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I dont believe you can just unbolt the efi intake manifold and bolt on the carb manifold it looked like a totally different set up. That is why I used the head of my carbed bike, for the intake manifold.
  13. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks guys for all the input out there:thumbsup: At this point with all of the problems I've had with my FI on my '08 TE, I might pursue getting an ignition and harness for this thing. Yes I really loved that thing when it's running good but the down time and the money i've spent fixing and buying fuel pumps is insane!!!:banghead:

Finally from what i've read on CH is that (non OEM) fuel pumps are being found and tested and are working for folks out there. It's just something I will always have with me when I ride is a fresh fuel pump in my fricken pocket so I dont get trapped a 100 miles deep into the forest again.

Jim