I got bit by the "moving" fuel pump I suspect

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by firebolter, Feb 2, 2011.

1. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    61.1 miles into the first enduro of the year, only .2 tenths from the road, the bike sputtered and died. I re-started, went about another tenth and then dead. Lucky for me, about 10 mins behind me was a buddy from my club who stopped and gave me a quart out of his Yamaha (I had to listen to that shit all weekend!). Put it in and she fired right up. Got to the road and got some gas from a course marshall and finished the race with out houring out.

Will pull the tank this weekend to confirm, but I am almost willing to bet a paycheck my fuel pump is up and out of the nest...............

Other than that, my 2010 TE 310 was awesome. THe bike worked very well. Felt good and handled sweet. I love the motor, more than you need for most any woods work without having to rev the piss out of it. A good motor for sure.
  2. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    Check and make shure the treminals on the fuel pump are good and tight too.
  3. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Was the low fuel light on? How many miles do you expect to get on a tank of gas? 61 miles is pretty good, depending on the conditions. It'll be interesting to see what you find when you pull the tank--loose fuel pump, broken fuel level sensor wires or mount, or no problem at all.
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    What's the usable gas in your tank and is it the stocker?

I agree with jlk_250 that you might just have run out. If the stocker has 1.7 usable at somewhere in the high 30mpgs that's close to your 60 miles.
  5. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I should have added (sorry) took gas at 34.4 (first gas check) and 1 gallon topped me off, so at race pace, I was getting 34 MPG, so I should have had atleast a gallon best case at 61.1, lets say 1/2 gal worst case. YES, stock tank. Like I said, I heard sloshing in the tank. YES, my little gas pump was on but it would go on, go off and was off when I started it after the first stall. I have yet to pull the tank. Got back monday night late and the bike is in the shed sleeping till this weekend when I can get to it to confirm.
  6. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

No problems with mine but read other bad stuff so pulled mine and fixed per pic. Used a stainless exhaust tie folded back over (rather than nylon tie) and fixed it under the tag on the upright. Then safety wired round the top posts and tucked end under the SS tie. She's not going anywhere [IMG] P1020970.JPG
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    When you see the newer pumps they have a stainless hose clamp holding it in place.
  8. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

That's interesting. I don't doubt they glean info from here and other sites. I've also read about the orange soldered wire breaking loose but I checked mine and it seemed solid, no need to re-solder. I guess it's like a lot of things, they may have batch problems depending on whose doing the QA or assembly. Read a few reports of the pumps failing also. The above part numbers might reference some place to purchase if the need arose [IMG]
  9. shilo020 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010
    On my first ride on my new TE310 it quit at 50 miles and on the second ride with an extra quart of fuel added died at 49 miles. Neither time would it restart and NO warning low fuel light. Took the tank off and had the broken tie. Had 8 cups of fuel in the tank. Added them back in one cup at a time. Took 3 cups to get it to start and 8 cups to get the low fuel light to go off.
  10. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

So that's around 2 litres in reserve then? bit sad but just used my fave mug and a measuring jug. Water not petrol!

Edit: just under half a gallon.
  11. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    GOT AROUND TO CHECKING MY TANK TODAY, SURE ENOUGH, AS SUSPECTED.................
    Up atleast a 1/2 inch. SS wired it from top to bottom and around the "legs", she won't move anymore............

[IMG]
  12. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Good move. Just one thought though firebolter, if you've safety wired top to bottom make sure you're clear of the terminals on the top of the pump. Shorts/sparks in there not good. I was going that route but opted otherwise. If you've gone that route you could insulate the lock wire with some earthing insulation ( like sparkies use in sockets) over the lock wire. You might have done similar already but I thought I'd mention it [IMG]
  13. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:

I know exactly what you mean. I should have taken a picture but I was dirty/gassy/nasty and just wanted to finish up. I was working on 3 bikes today! Getting ready for a big ride soon.

I went across the top and around the fuel outlet of the pump. Wrap the SS wire around that base and under the electrical wires so as not to interfere with them. On top I went aro8und the fuel line exit from the pump and tightened my wires such that they pulled the pump towards the base. Did a loop around the "legs" that hold the pump and it is tight and right!

It ain't moving. I am no where near any wires or connections, I was careful to plan that. All connections were tight and no loose wires anywhere, just a loose fuel pump! And that is now cured.
  14. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

I know what you mean, and just when you think there's no fuel left in the pump you get another load spilling out [IMG]

Glad you got it sorted, happy riding, no more fuel worries!
  15. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Help... I just removed my pump from out of the tank and I found that the pump did slide out of its socket. The Orange wire is floating around and so is the small guage green wire. There is a small cylinder thingy in the bottom of my tank. Where do these 2 wires get soldered to, I can see the where the small metal round thingy broke from. 09 TE 450 with 5900 miles.
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Fuel Pump Fix.jpg

Best pic I could find.
  17. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank You, seems my low fuel sensor broke off at the soldered clip on the screwed in tower. Both the power sorse(grn) and the ground(orn) both snapped off. I re-soldered and see what happens. My fuel pump was also dislodged by a fair amount.