1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc I just put a KX125 pipe on my 09 WR125/144

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I just put a KX125 pipe on my 09 WR125/144. It does have a different shape and longer stinger. Took a bunch of welding and stuff but in the end fits better than the stock one. Will see shortly what it does for power. Will post pix later.
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Don't like the stock pipe (weak power) Jake stole my Doma (shady friends :D) and i had a KX125 pipe here (lets see what happens) so I mangled it on. Much thicker metal and much better build quality. Fits better than stock now. We will see power wise.
    jmetteer likes this.
  4. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Definitely post up some pictures - I gotta see this! :eek:
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Good ol' Kawavarna.:D
  6. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looked good , if no one told you, you wouldnt notice (if it was black )
  7. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

This thread is awesome :)
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Yes, tinkeresting? Ride report a must.
  9. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was wondering what you were going to do with that pipe! (I sent it to Kelly last year)

I prefer the name, "Husqasaki."
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    "tinkeresting"... I like that. Got it all buttoned up and ripped it around the block. Was lean down low and I screwed the air screw in. Bike runs very good with the KX pipe on it, seems to have more bottom, no flat spot and maybe less top. Going to go play with needles and jetting this afternoon. So far the KX pipe seems better than stock, is it as good as the Doma? We will see.
    lankydoug likes this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Finally got around to messing with it, thanks. :thumbsup:
  12. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Works great.

Fitment:

To make it fit I had to weld the head flange from the husky pipe to the KX pipe, Weld a rear bracket on, cut a V in the stinger and bend it up slightly so the angle for the muffler was right. When all said and done this fits much better than stock, interferes with nothing, can get to the oil filler, does not rub on the shock resi. and the kick starter clears fine. Mounting is more solid than stock and the pipe is much thicker material and better welds. Overall it is a much better fit and quality than the stock POS.

Performance:

First off it has been a LONG time since i rode this bike. To long. Super fun bike as I remembered. It instantly felt like I had more bottom, slight flat spot in the mid and reved OK but seemed to struggle. I played with needles and found I could get the mid to be strong but lost the bottom some in the process. Then i switched from a 180 main to a 190 (PWK carb) and WOW, top end is there in spades. Went back to the original needle (sorry no markings on this one) and got my bottom back. Feels like it could use a slightly bigger pilot. As it sits right now it makes very good bottom, nice grunt and seems to pull off the bottom better than it ever did. Can roll on and it will pull out of lugging and into the mid well. Mid is still mellow but not a flat spot and pulls through just does not seem as strong as the Doma in the middle. Then it come on to a wailing top end. Not a ton of overrev but big power in the upper mid/top end as it comes on the pipe.

Summery:

Honestly I was setting my bike up and refreshing it as a friend from St. Lewis wanted to buy it from me. I just sent an Email letting him know it is no longer for sale. Luckily I have a friend with a nicer condition / less mile same bike 09 WR125 for sale so my buddy is not out if he still wants one used. so the pipe... Works GREAT. the stock pipe is lame, crapy build quality, crap welds, crap fitment, low power. The Doma i have off an 04 was my favorite pipe as it added a bunch of mid where the bike lacks the most. Feels like a 2-3 HP gain over stock. The Doma leaves the bottom feeling stock like and OK, adds a nice mid rip and signs off slightly early / goes flat on top some. The KX pipe does kind of the opposite. It seems to add bottom and top and leaves the mid at strong enough but not as strong as the Doma. Overall I think the KX pipe is my favorite. Nice snappy bottom it never had, mid it pulls through without drama and a nice big rush on the top end. Nice overall performance gain and very usable. I found a particularly nasty rocky rooty hill to climb and hit it several times. Last few runs was pointing it at the worst of it and was loving the lugging, "you can't stop me" power. Great overall upgrade. Smooth power from bottom to top, better built quality, better fit, stronger pipe. Love it.

3 pages of KX pipes on ebay and every other friend with one hanging in his garage. If you feel up to it it is an worth while project. I would like to find a FMF SST, DEP, Dynoport or other cool KX 125 pipe to mangle on here and try. Fun.

Next up... shortened forks with more triple clamp offset on the 09 WR125. Stay tuned...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Great to see it going again! Like the say if the shoe fits wear it. In your case, if the pipe is close to fitting, heat it and bend it!