I need the basics!

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by mattmcphail, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mattmcphail Husqvarna
    AA Class

I bought an 08 TE450 with a power commander and ibeat computer. Unfortunately there is no manual etc that I received other than the ibeat software. I need a resource for the basics in what the PC does, what the terms mean etc. I looked through the 20+ existing maps already loaded and there are terms like Dip -1, Low -3. Economy. etc. Anyone know if there is an online resource or a manual? Until then all of the stuff on this forum looks like Greek to me!

Thanks,
    Matt
  2. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
  3. mattmcphail Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok,....so not to sound ignorant, but I am. I really need more basic than this. The whole EFI this is new to me and I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I'd love to understand the philosophy, what each function actually does, and what each adjustment does when you change a number etc. I guess I need and EFI and PC / iBeat for Dummies book.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Start with the iBeat. There is a connector (probably) behind the headlight, connect the iBeat cable that fits that connector to that, and the connector that goes into the rs232 connector into your home/laptop computer. Let us know if/when you get that far.

Feel free to post up a picture of what you have, that could save much time. :)
  5. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Dip -1, Low -3. Economy are just the names the previous owner gave the maps he created. I'm guessing it's a PCIII, not a PCV. Manuals and tutorial are available at the Dynojet site. Basically all the PC does is add or subtract fuel based on RPM and throttle position. Each + or - value in the map is the percentage increase or decrease in fuel delivered at that RPM and throttle position. If the map is all zeroes it is not doing anything. You can try the bike with each of the different maps that are loaded and see which one works best. Or just ride it the way it is. If it's good enough, no problem.
  6. mattmcphail Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's kind of what I took from what I read but then some of the stuff started getting way over my head. I'm looking for more power out of the bottom end. The setting it's on you really have to crank the throttle to get power. I'll keep messing with the maps that are already loaded (around 20) and seeing what happens.
  7. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Luckily for you there's a ton of information on here- I'd just try to slowly familiarize yourself with what you don't understand. Its kinda hard abriviate years of questions and answers that have come up in a post. As you are finding out its more complecated than that.

Because your bike is an 2008: The Ibeat will be used for TPS and diagnostics<error codes>. Read about setting up the TPS to 100.2 at WOT. Then learn how to work with the PCV/AT for fuel adjustments (or fuel maps) it appears you already have Maps made with the AT so just try a few. Or learn how to create one you want. The link above should help with that.