1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st I was going to wash it but then I realized...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by speedkills, Apr 5, 2011.

1. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    at the prices Bill was blowing them out for it was easier to just buy another [IMG]

IMG_0228.JPG
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Congrats You will love it as you know. I bolted the 09 CR125 motor I bought from Bill into mine and it was pretty impressive for a 125. If the WR had ever run like that I would never have spent all the time and money searching for answers to the WR motor issues. Enjoy.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats! Now what do you have there a CR engine in a WR frame?
  4. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Yep. I rode Jake's CR125 this weekend and was so impressed with the 19" rear wheel and CR ignition I started pricing them out in my head, then quickly realized by the time I bought those it wasn't too far off just buying a CR and selling my WR so I went that route instead. I'm sure I could have made my WR feel like Jake's CR eventually but this seemed like the quickest route to get there.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice Shane, Congrats. [IMG] HR this weekend?
  6. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Hard to pass up used prices on new bikes, eh?

What did Jake to do his to make it run good? Where you at Jake???
    I'm still searching for that magic ingredient to get rid of 'the bog'.

Riding Woodland trails on Sat @ 10 if you're interested. Unless the snow keeps us out.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I use Shane's rationale for buying new bikes all too often. [IMG]
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    On the CR? I thought the CR ingintion cured 95% of that? No?

K
  9. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    As much as I wash my bikes, I couldn't afford to get a new one. Congratulations.:D
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Gee i beleive some one once said WHY do people buy the WR only to make it run like a CR
    CR smaller flywheel weight better electronics lighter rear wheel and non o ring chain
    Just all those thing make the little 125/144 crank spin
    i just love messing with you guys
  11. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Mine bogged BAD when I first rode it at Eddieville. Made great power on the pipe, but it was really hard to get over the bog and into the power.
    After e'ville I adjusted the PV linkage adjustment all the way up, put on the FMF system and the RM needle in the carb. It runs better, especially after I put the needle to clip #3, but it still struggles to get into the power.

I rode Mark's bike and was shocked with how hard it pulled, so I know its in there. Just gotta get it out....
  12. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

PC - When I rode your bike I thought it was just too rich on the bottom third of the throttle. I think a #5 slide (or have RB cut yours) and a smaller pilot might do wonders. Gearing it down a bit would help also. It sometimes takes a while to get one of these bikes dialed in, and they are all different so there is no one size fits all solution unfortunetly.
  13. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    When I bought the WR (had only ridden a CR) the story I kept hearing was they run the same, same engine, same everything, just the rear wheel difference mainly. If only I had known.

My main question with the CR is now that I know how much I like riding an engine with so little rotating mass do I risk modding the electrical to get a little lighting power out of it for the 24 hour at Starvation Ridge or not? Don't want to buy a CR, try to add a few watts to it and then turn it into a WR.
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I know and I'm not complaining. I bought the bike as a project since my 300 is dialed and I knew this would be a work in progress.
    I already got the 52T on the rear, but not sure I want to spend money on the Mikuni. I think I'd rather invest it in a PWK36.

I forgot how finicky those carbs are. Plus I have lots of PWK jets and needles already.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Very cool speedkills!! Hey ajax I listened to you the first time thus my 08 CR125 now a 144. The 144 takes the Cr125 to the next level; great to AWESOME.
  16. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 2008 CR 125 i had the stock stator rewound what they really do is use the 2 emply spots to add about 35 watts of power .I then added a batty to the air box box cost 6 dollars from Husky and it just set in the air box and the seat holds it down .I run a hid light that pulls 26 watts but now with the batty at a lide or when you let off the gas for a turn the light does not dim.i have been running it like this for 3 years and no problem . The rewoud stator cost about 100 dollars from ricky stator
    .com There is many old threads about this
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

As Ajax mentioned it is easy to re-wind the existing stator for some lights. I don't think there is any real performance change with just re-winding. If you go to a larger flywheel to get more lighting then you will get that part of the equation from the WR. If you use the WR ignition to get the lights then you will re-create the WR problems.
  18. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    A larger flywheel is what I was thinking, shooting for closer to 100 watts than 35. I wasn't sure how much of the difference came down to rotating mass and how much was the actual ignition differences.
  19. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Are you going to leave it as a 125? I can tell you from trying the 6 oz flywheel weight with the 144 that it handles it well. Mine in CR144 form as it is now wants to wheel spin rip at the mearest hint of a throttle crack, with the flywheel weight it runs the way the WR should but doesn't and is much more controllable. The ignition is huge in the equation. Now mine has a great sealing and elevated power valve grind that really makes it grunt on the low end / mid. I also am running quite a bit higher compression and a better squish than the stock 144. I still think you should bolt your 144 top end on the new cr and try it. I have noticed a couple of things about the OEM 144 now that I have had a couple sent to me for valve grinding. 1st, the oem cylinder is the 125 cylinder bored out at the factory. The rear transfer has a very shallow angle of flow into the cylinder to get the charge moving up rather than straight out towards the exhaust port. When bored it lowers this port 3-4 mm's as opposed to the height it has as a 125. It should be virtually the same height as the side transfers. I deepen the port before boring so it ends up at the same height as stock 125 with the same shallow flow. I am not sure but you can probably raise that height without ruining the cylinder lining but ask your local engine builder. 2nd, even though they are boring out the 125 blank they at least are adjusting the depth of the bore holes for the power valves. What that means is you can bore that cylinder to a 167 by just welding up the inlet in the back of the sleeve and porting out the rear of the cylinder casting just like the old cylinder. What does all this drivel mean. With the right adjustments to the 144 you will still love it even with a bigger flywheel. Plus if you want more for all the trail work you do then send it to George and get the 167.
  20. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    We'll so how long I can wait. It's going 144 eventually but as long as it's together and runs well it MAY get to stay a 125 until it's time for a ring. Never can tell. It's not like I needed tons of power, the 144 was mainly a way for me to get around the powerband issues. I think with the new bike I'll still prefer the 144 but I don't think it'll be a rush. As it was Saturday my 144 was running nearly as well as it ever has and I still preferred Jakes 125 by a good margin. It wasn't more powerful, but it was definitely more fun.