1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st IMS tank low flow petcock?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Chums, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    So I have a ims tank with the standard on/off/reserve petcock and the crossover to the screw in style petcock. I noticed the screw in style has twice the flow as the other? Nothing is blocking the filter on the on/off/reserve petcock but I'm wondering if the filter itself is slowing the flow?
    Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help!
    steadydirt likes this.
  2. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    The screw type also uses a filter, right?

You could pull the reserve petcock and clean off that filter, could be partially clogged.

I'm not sure this is an issue though, as long as they are both flowing, and the carb float is operating correctly, a high flow won't really be needed. Lets say you've got horrible mileage at 15 mpg, and you're running fast at 30 mph on the trail, that puts you at drawing 2 gallons/hour, or 4.26 ounces/minute. That's not a lot of flow, even in that less than ideal scenario.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  3. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    A big issue- has caused me a seizure in the past. You need a watch and a kitchen measuring cup- or a graduated cylinder if you are a science guy.
    Tank off-dump it out into a gas can through a screen filter funnel after shaking it;- you will likely find junk in there
    Pull petcock check filters;
    Tank on the frame with fuel and measure how much flow you get from ONLY one petcock in 30 seconds. Then remeasure [with the same amount of fuel in the tank]with all your filter hookup
    It has to be able to flow more than your main jet with a good margin.
  4. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A big issue- has caused me a seizure in the past. You need a watch and a kitchen measuring cup- or a graduated cylinder if you are a science guy.
    Tank off-dump it out into a gas can through a screen filter funnel after shaking it;- you will likely find junk in there
    Pull petcock check filters;
    Tank on the frame with fuel and measure how much flow you get from ONLY one petcock in 30 seconds. Then remeasure [with the same amount of fuel in the tank]with all your filter hookup
    It has to be able to flow more than your main jet with a good margin.
  5. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry about that stupid strike through on the text!
  6. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account

Can't recall if the screw type has a filter or not....I'd hope it would and assumed it did. I'll be pulling everything out of the tank tonight or tomorrow and report back.
    I just found it a little off that they would flow so differently??