1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

IMS tank woes.......

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by ioneater, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Managed to fit it on a few days ago. Was a tight fit much like gandalf's, but managed to get the seat on with a little strategic pressure. Anyway, took it out around town the next day for about 20 miles running errands and parked it for the night. The next day I could smell gas in the garage and started looking for the source. Finally found it after opening the garage door and observing a small pool on the ground. Yep, it was the new tank. Initially assumed it was the fuel pump o-ring but that area was dry. Hmmmmm, following the trail up the right side of the engine and discovered it was seeping from the seam area from under the right wing. Slow but steady unfortunately. Called Jeff at Hall's and shot him an email with pics. Got a new one on the way, no problem! Hopefully not a common problem with these tanks:eek: Was not obvious to the naked eye after removing the tank as in a crack that was easy to see. Here are a couple of pics for enlightenment.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Jeff is top notch I tell you!
  3. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    In the little I have dealt with him and Hall's I've had nothing but a good experience. Was relieved to hear a new tank was on the way today as I really didn't know what kind of hassle it would end up being. On another note, I dropped in to Tasky's (my local dealer) yesterday and we were talking about the new tanks and how difficult some of them are to fit. Consensus is that between small differences in the individual bike frames as well as the tanks themselves some of them may be a real handful to install. Jeff at Tasky's recommended the hot water treatment for the difficult fitments. So.......hopefully the new one will sit on the posts a little better than its predecessor did. I really enjoy visiting with him and his wife at the store. Very easy going and down to earth folks.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Mine dropped right on. The fit was perfect. Luck of the draw I guess.
  5. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am confused with the hot water thing. Do you install your very expensive fuel pump and then fill it with hot water (not me)? If you don't have the fuel pump in it isn't going to hold any water while trying to install it? I suppose you could make a plate out of plexiglass or something and then seal it to the tank with the screws. How are you guys doing this? Thanks, Ken
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Dude... you were born lucky!:busted::cheers:
    Norman
  7. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    I haven't gotten that far yet in the plan:busted: However, I suppose I would dry fit the tank and if it didn't want to cooperate on the fit I would leave the fuel pump out and either submerse the back end of the tank in hot water from the sink or something like that to soften it up a tad. Then I would hurry back to the garage and slap it on quickly while applying pressure. Don't know if that's the way to do it or not, but I definitely would be concerned about distorting the pump mating surface and causing a leak there so.......who knows?
  8. Mootak Husqvarna
    AA Class

We have used the hot water treatment a few times over the years on many bike brands and models. On the Husky we just fabbed up a plate and bolted it in the fuel pump mounts. This helped the tank fitment a bit on the posts and front mount, although most tanks fit just fine.
    The worst ones I remember were the 99 and 2000 Gassers. Those tanks were tight fits between the frame spars.
    Later,
    Jeff Tasky
  9. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Jeff, love my tank. Ken