1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc IMS Tank

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by slo rider, Jan 17, 2011.

1. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Does anyone know if the aftermarket IMS tank will interfere with the Scotts stabilizer post on a 2009 WR125? There is a clash between the post and the stock tank.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    got same bike and tank, no damper though. might give a jingle to IMS or Scott. pretty popular combo. if nothing else a heat gun and some patience will solve it if it aint a huge interferance.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Question, Why do you need a steering stabilizer at all ? The Husky is a very stable bike when properly setup.
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    ride rocks?

everyone's set up is diff. one might like what another wont. some set-up's are nervous at speed but quick and plush in the tight. steering dampers are incredible. they can also save you from an injury. i run them on nervous and stable bike's alike.
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Euros ride mostly rocks and rarely use steering dampers. I frequently ride rocks and will only use a steering damper if the bike demands it like the KTM. My Honda offroad bikes never needed one. Glad my Husky doesn't need one. Just added complexity and weight. Proper setup is the key in my opinion. An improperly setup bike will get nervous at speed.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    ims: 800-237-9906
    scott: 818-248-6747

give 'em a jing im sure they'll be able to help if no one here has that info.

im going with the motosportz damper for mine asap.
  7. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I've had my stabilizer save my bacon more than once when it stopped the front end from going full lock after a bad deflection. I just sent my Scotts off for service, so maybe I'll take the Husky out this weekend and see what it feels like without it. I imagine it'll need different springs as I'm 180 in street clothes.

I looked at the motosportz damper, but I already have a Scotts so all I needed was the mount.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  8. frankrock363 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husky is super stable but the nice thing about a damper is when you tag a tree in the tight stuff you don't get thrown into another tree. I guess I hit to many trees.
  9. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    IMS tank on the WR125 with Moto's stabilizer, not much clearance
    but enough that I did not have to mod the tank.

How much different is the Scotts?

[IMG]
  10. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Here is what it looks like after I modded my stock tank
    [IMG]

And for any others who might think of using an angle grinder to mod the stock tank, don't!
    [IMG]

I didn't realize that forward part of the tank actually is hollow and holds fuel :doh:

I contacted IMS and they said their tank is bigger than stock in this area. I'm going to call IMS tomorrow and make sure I got the right tower.
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    since that section is hollow if the post mount hits the tank wrap the mount in mask tape to make it about 15% bigger then lift the tank some, zap the tank with a heat gun then press it down to custom mold/fit it etc. (take the usual precautions ect.)
  12. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Just talked to Scotts and the 6032 post is the right post. They also said that to the best of their knowledge I would gain some clearance by going with the IMS tank.
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    cant recall if mine got more room or not. ill compare them tonight if ya want me too as both tanks are handy but- IMS sizes run wild no two tanks are alike in my epxerience. they can be off by 10-12% easy so fyi. either or if it's tight or even hits its a super easy fix with a heat gun.
  14. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Good to see you on Husky Matt. :thumbsup: Looks like I may be joining you on the 125 soon. :applause: The CR version though.

I am pretty sure the IMS has quite a bit more room than the stock tank.

Here is a picture of the IMS with the MZ damper. It is Kelly's bike.

[IMG]

Later,
  15. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dont understand why they have 2 different tank bolt poistions on a range of bike that all look very similar.
  16. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a GPR and had to mod the stock tank like the OP to get it to fit. I took the bike to Bill's and tested the IMS tank - same clearence issue. Looks like they duplicated the Husky tank at the mount. Still waiting to see if Clarke will get off their butts and finish the tank they have been designing. If Clarke doesn't have anything by spring I'll get the IMS and break out the heat gun...