1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Increasing oil = increased compression?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you managed to read the link on the "Future of the 2 stroke" and fuel injected smokers then you may have also read the comment that increasing oil in your mix ratio will also increase the compression of the engine.
    Theory is that the oil content is what increases the seal between the rings and the head.

What is the power difference between running rich compared to running lean? Is there any at all? :excuseme:

Im running 50:1 in my 09 WR300 only because thats what I ran in my KTM
    and its better to have to much then not enough in hot conitions IMO. :thumbsup:
  2. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Only 50:1! I never use less then 2,5%. In the winter i use 3% in the woods, and up to 3,5% when it´s cold and we go iceracing on high revs on WOT a lot. With a good jetting i can´t find anything negative with a higher percentage of oil for protection. I never foul plugs.
  3. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

After checking a few posts and yours above :) it seems 50:1 is too lean for Husky.

Is the mix ratio a personal pref thing or is it simply better for the engine to have more oil
    ie 30:1 comp to 50:1
  4. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess there is as much opinions about this as there is people, but i prefer to use closer to 3% than 2%. Why not? What could go wrongif the ebgine runs fine and doesn´t clog up? I have almost no spooge at 3% on mine.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I think that the mixing ratio of the oil is often determined by the manufacturer that has formulated it. I like to run 60 t0 1, so I buy oil made by a company (Motorex) that recommends that their product be mixed at that ratio. I would not run an oil that is recommended to be run at 32 to 1 at 60 to 1, and I wouldn't buy that oil anyway.:excuseme:
  6. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ithink it has alot with engine revs to do also. a screaming 125 should need more lube then a lowrevving 500 i think. Just my thoughts.
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I think you are generally correct, but...

I run 44:1 in my GasGas 280 trials motor that grunts and growls.
    I run 44:1 in my CR125 that screams.
    I run 44:1 in my WR144 that just likes to speak in a loud voice sometimes.

No issues with any of them :excuseme:

WoodsChick
  8. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

no. the oil ratio is determined by the manufacturer of the engine, who makes a lot of tests with his specific engine.

r
  9. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I used to run castor in my 80's and it worked great but it seemed to gum stuff up after awhile. It seems like it's good oil to use if you tear apart your motor on a regular basis, though. I loved the smell but it gave me terrific headaches.

WoodsChick
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Same here.

I run 60 to 1 in the shrieking CR85, the amiable KDX200, 220, the snorty KX250. The TXT gets 100 to 1. No problems, clean engines, low wear, no blowby, no fouled plugs etc. All good, win/win.:thumbsup:
  12. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess there is as much opinions about this as there is people

:thumbsup:

Johnny
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is only if you are using the oil recommended by the engine maker.
    Otherwise use the recommended ratios of the oil manufacturer.
    BUT, It is a matter of RPM and oil migration. Low rev engines need less oil as the oil moves slower through the engine. Higher rev engines need more oil because the oil is migrating through much faster and the engines develop more heat. That is why you hear so much about people rebuilding crankshafts a lot more often these days on 2 strokes. Not enough oil. Just because it seems to be enough oil for the piston, doesn't mean it is enough for the crank and rod bearings. More oil does also seal the rings better for more horsepower. That has been a dyno proven fact. Back when I rode for Suzuki, we ran Suzuki CCI oil at 20:1. Very clean burning as it flashed out once it got into the combustion chamber. You want a 2 stroke oil with a realitivly low flash point. Once in the combustion chamber it has already done its job. I don't feel comfortable using most oils at ratios above 40:1 .
  14. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That depends heavily on what oil you are using. You can't just recommend 60:1 or 100:1 oil ratios unless the oil maker recommends that.
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I posted in an earlier post (#5). That's why I chose Motorex.:banana:
  16. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

For every single 2T oil that Motorex makes, their website states the following:

For pre-mix and separate lubrication (mixing ratios in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendation).
    :thumbsup:

No exceptions.

I'm not sure any oil company recommends otherwise. They may claim that their oil can be used in 100:1 or 60:1 or 50:1 applications, but they always (as far as I know) recommend using the engine manufacturer's recommendation. I have never found one that explicitly states otherwise.;)
  17. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

60:1 is too lean a mixture for most oils. They only recommend this for EPA reasons. Not engine longivity or performance. You would not want to use an oil specially formulated for 100:1 at 32:1. It may gum up something. I have used Opti2 which is formulated at 100:1 in my low RPM aeroplane engine with good results. BUT when I use this same oil in my motorcycle engines I mix at 70:1 or 80:1. Much higher RPMs envolved.
    Husqvarna recommends 25:1 on breaking on the 125 and 150 engines and then 32:1. I could see this using an oil like Maxima Super M or 927.
    I think 40:1 would be plenty for a 250 or 300cc engine. If you like Spectro, I found that 40:1 is the best ratio to use. Not the 50:1 they recommend. Problem with Golden Spectro is that it clogs spark arrestors pretty fast at richer ratios. Same with BelRay MC1.
  18. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I am not sure how I can be more clear.:excuseme:

I am not supporting 60:1, or any other specific ratio. Let me try again...

I can find no major oil manufcturer that recommends any specific oil ratio. Not 60:1, not 100:1, not 40:1.... They all suggest you follow what the engine manufacturer recommends.;)

When they say their oil is good for 60:1, they mean it can be used where the engine manufacturer recommends 60:1. They do not mean you can go run your dirt bike at 60:1 when the manufacturer of that dirt bike recommends 32:1.:banghead:

If you choose to run a bike at 60:1, or any other ratio, then so be it. That is entirely up to you. Live long and prosper.:thumbsup:
  19. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't let it seeeze

BillO, I have found that if you want to run hard and long that KY gelly is some pretty good sh--t. It does leave some spooge though.
  20. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

:lol: