Interesting review of the TE630's competition (2010 KTM 690)

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good writeup. Will be interesting if there are any real shootout tests of these big DS bikes at some point. the KTM 690 and TE630 sound like perfect shootout contenders.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/6617/Motorcycle-Article/2010-KTM-690-Enduro-Motorcycle-Review.aspx

BTW rode a buddies KTM 530 DS bike the other day and did not like it a lot. Real stiff harsh suspension, hard to control lurchy motor ans 2x4 seat. It will be nice once sorted but i much perfered my 99 ATK490 for real DS :) By comparison my ATK was a couch, smooth power, plush suspension, EZ to ride. His KTM felt super light and the motor ripped but beat you up pretty much all the time. Even on single track where the KTM should have killed the ATK the ATK was EZer to ride because the KTM lurched all over the trail and beat you to death with the suspension and seat. It also had horrible head shake on the road at about 40 plus MPH. Was surprising to say the least. The owner of the KTM felt the same way. Ordered a seat, got a damper from me, and is working on some other stuff. Should be a great bike once massaged I was just kinda shocked it was not better stock.
  2. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    I was fortunate enough to have a 690 from a dealer at my disposal to test with a group of friends a while back. I beleive you either like a bike or--it plain just does not work for you.
    The bikes we tested were my 610 te/09 my 450te/07 a honda450x a 690ktm and a 650 drz. Strange combination one may say.

At the end of the day the 690 was not the most popular bike amongs't all of us.
    We all found the following that we did not enjoy
    Front end was definately not up to scratch
    Back wheel would start to spin too easily on gravel and it would start to whip.
    Standing position--felt like something just was not right
    Bike was not as stable as one would like it to be.

Definately a great bike for what it was built for---A rally Bike

We did have a aftermarket pipe on the 690--runs like the clappers on the tar as well.
    I personally found that this bike was not suited to my riding style and that the price was just a bit too much-here in SA they cost a R100k
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I spoke with my buddy tonight and he said the clickers were a little jacked and he read it really needs a much stiff rear spring to work well. I guess the PDS is very critical to have the right spring.
  4. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I guess the "trellis" frame is getting more popular...but honestly it doesn't work for me and the bike looks UGLY:eek: especially the left side. That orange /black combo just doesn't work for me,never has.Heck I have a Husqvarna mower that "was" orange and I painted it blue/yellow to match some of the Huskys in the garage.
  5. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

this is true, and to complicate matters, pretty much every ktm comes with the wrong spring. i have no idea why. fork springs are usually close for guys like me (200 lbs fully geared up) but the springs in back are 1-3 steps too soft, and if you crank the preload up to compensate, then bike kicks over bumps and gets horrible headshake. The good news is that just by getting the right rear spring, the modern (09+) ktm's become pretty darned good.

To me, the ktm690 is kind of a weird bike tho. i don't think i could live with one.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yeah, he has the preload all cranked down which makes it worse. I rode it again the other day with some suspension changes, my damper, several other adjustments and upgrades and it was much nicer. Still needs to dial the suspension but it is much more ridable.