1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc iridium plug or competition plug for 125?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by darkshadow, Jul 19, 2010.

?

Which plug do you prefer?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2010.
Stock plug (oem) 5 vote(s) 20.8%
ngk racing comp. 5 vote(s) 20.8%
ngk iridium ix 14 vote(s) 58.3%
  1. darkshadow Husqvarna
    C Class

Hi everyone, just a quick question of which type of plug you prefer? which 2T machine you have and why????:cheers:
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

Stock plugs might be anything so it's hard to make a judgement on that.

Competition plugs generally mean that they are not a resistor type plug which does not necessarily translate into any real performance gain.

Irridium plugs are fine wire plugs and as such they reach their "self cleaning temp." much faster than a heavy electrode will so there is less chance of fouling a plug. Irridium has great corrosion resitence so the plug will continue to work like a new plug 4-5 times longer than a std. plug.

There realy is no down side to running Irridium and quite a few upsides.:thumbsup:
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Other than cost.
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I like the Irridium in a WR just because the ignition seems kind of weak. I don't know if I would still run them if I had a CR.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

Well, they cost 4-5 as much as std. plugs but last 4-5 times as long so really it's pretty much a wash on the cost issue, unless you're selling and trading bikes before you get the full benefit of the extra life.

:thinking: Come to think of it, in Kelly's case he may never get the benefit of a extended life spark plug.:D
  6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Iridiums are very cheap when you consider their longevity, better spark- equals better ignition, on a 2 stroke the faster operating temp means less fouling. Better ignition means less pollution. I am convinced mpg is marginally better. BUT most of all they start better esp. when its very cold. No issue really. I have used them from onset on my 4T and 2T and will never go back to a standard type plug.
  7. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Where are the Roost Boost and iCat options?
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    you will find them next to the fancy oils.
  9. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

I just tried a E3 plug, seem to give it more bottom end throttle response and it was only 7 bucks cdn, the BR9EIX iridium cost me around 12.
    Plus E3 sponsor the Endurocross:thumbsup:
  10. Mr_X Husqvarna
    A Class

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Im running on this and my bike need only one kick to start every morning. i change the plug every 5000km or so.
  11. darkshadow Husqvarna
    C Class

interesting Mr_X, how is the top end of yours in that combo???

Basically i have a SM125s so it mainly runs on road, i found for everyday uses iridium does a great job esp. on starting, low end and mid range
    however its lacks a bit of top end compare to comp. racing plug

the racing plug does well from mid to top end but starting and pulling off is bit weak, its really good for friday night ride, have fun and high speed etc.

theres always give and take but let me know what you think and prefer:cheers:
  12. Mr_X Husqvarna
    A Class

hey,

Im using Arrow full system and rear Ohlins shock (prefit from Honda CR125), NGK race cable, Denso Iridium spark plug, 47T rear sprocket, Maxima castor 927 2T (10ml to one litre of RON98 petrol). My bike can hit 157km/hr max. You should try some of the parts stae above, especially the Arrow system, which is road legal. :)
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Icat and Roost boost are worthless gimmicks. Good oil is not a gimmick. I am not sure what Kelly is calling Fancy Oil ? But there are plenty of bearly passable oils out there that I see being pushed on the KTM sites . Iridium plugs are supposed to be better and last longer. I can't swear to it but I don't see a downside if they last longer even if they do cost more at the beginning.
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Anyone used the BR9EIX irridium and BR8EIX irridium ?
    Is the 8 better for woods as described in 125 tuning index?
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Iv e heard reports that Irridium performance gain only short lived - 1 - 2 hours
    from a Kart racer
  16. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I believe in the advantages of the iridium plugs but haven't found a need for one yet. They helped with a plug fouling issue I had on the KX250 but I am still on the original standard plug on my WR144. That plug has lasted through two break-in (125 and 144) and 25 hours of riding. If there is a need I'll pay more for the iridium but for now the standard $3 NGK is working fine.
  17. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    I just haven't had a problem with plugs to bother swapping out. I got 70 hours out of my first plug and swapped it when I put my 144 kit in just because it seemed like a good idea.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Modern ignitions are strong and do will with standard plugs. Some models like the 610 seem to prefer the irridium.