1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Is the 300 right for me??

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Scott Goodman, May 14, 2012.

1. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    Hey everyone! I am new to the forum, but have been very interested in getting a Wr300 Husky. I am wanting to get away from 4-strokes back to 2 strokes, and was needing some input.
    I have raced for over 20 years, mainly MX until the last 4 years. I now have been racing off-road in the Mid-West, mainly harescrambles, grand prix, and GNCC races.
    My current ride is a KX450F, and I race at Senior A level.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you have :-)
  2. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    Forgot to say that I am also 6'4", 198 lbs! Need a bike with large (long) frame :-)
  3. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    6'6" 220lbs this bike fits.
    Tinken likes this.
  4. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    6'1", 210 and love the size. I've ridden a 12 GG and it felt like a pit bike. Very awesome bike, I really think the handling is the best part.....or maybe it's the linear power............or the handling...........hands down awesome bike.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Hurry up and get it so you can get rid of that greenish avatar!:lol:
    Harbinger likes this.
  6. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    I doubt you would be disappointed but if your planning on buying new then it is quite the chunk of change. Maybe ask around and see if anyone on the forum lives relatively close to you. I am pretty sure most guys (and gals) are more than willing to share their bikes. I took a blind plunge on a '11 TXC250 and couldnt be happier with the bike. I know a couple members offered their bikes up for me to test out but I didnt want to lose the great deal I had found so I took a chance. Anyone live near Scott that has a 300?
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    You will like the WR300 then...nice and roomy ... I'm 6'2 and a bit heavier than you...OK a lot heavier :-) ..
    Tinken likes this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    6'6" 215lbs with a 09 WR250, I use BRP underbar mount with Scott's dampener tall bars and Fastway pegs with a +20 hammerhead shifter tip and Guts tall soft seat. I don't think there's a better tall man bike out there.
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    +1 on lankydougs post. +20mm tip, underbar damper & peg lowering good things. stock bars & seat i find ok but im only 6'4"(240lbs+ & seemingly increasing each 2 week shift @ work!)
  10. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    Im 6'4 220 and the WR 300 fit me perfect ! but not the power band. riding that bike in the woods and trails was like walking a wild bull . the power band is unpredictable and hits like an atom bomb ! maybe good for an "A" rider but for the b or c rider a good 4-stroke is the way to go. or at least for me
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You shouldn't have a problem with the 300. They do require set up work. The more you put into dialing it in, the more you'll get out of it.
    454x likes this.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My friends don't like the way the power hits on my 300 either, but it's one of the alluring charms for me.:love: Easy to get the bike to loft over rocks and other obstacles. If it seems a tad unruly in a technical situation, a bit of clutch settles things. One of my friends who owned both a KTM510 and an EXC300 said that the bike would make him too tired. I loved riding the bike all day, but got thoroughly pooped in less than two hours when I switched back to riding my TE450 last weekend. I have to get used to a heavy and unresponsive bike on the tight trails again....at least until October when red sticker season starts up again and the mighty WR rolls out of the garage once more!
    Gotlabs likes this.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Pipe selection, gearing and jetting (including needle selection) were all factors in smoothing out my WR250 while at the same time improving performance. The Gnarly pipe really helped smooth out the hit and seemed to make it pull harder yet was easier to ride. Jetted crisp with the stock needle and pipe it was a hand full to say the least. (it was fun on log crossings though.. no clutch just blip the throttle, launch and enjoy the view from outer space)
    :banana:
  14. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    I think the biggest part is the jetting......mine wanted to rip my arms off when hitting the midrange with stock jetting. It was so rich on the bottom it would burble....as soon as the burble went away it tried to hurt me! When jetted properly low to midrange is quite good.
  15. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    Thanks a lot for all the info guys! I was told the frame length/ size was more comparable to my Kawi, and also that the hit was a little robust on the 300 (Which are all ok by me!). I used to race MX on KX250's that were Team Green spec, so I'm used to the harder hit on it (and my 450!).
    Couple other things to run by all you 300 owners..ever put in a Rekluse? I currently use one on my 450 and love it, along with Vortex tall bars, longer shifter from Hammerhead, and run a full FMF system with Powerbomb Header/ Q4 silencer.
    I am a part of a riding club in the area, and can get my hands on a 300 from a member, can't wait to put down some laps on the trail :-) I have ridden a 310 on trail after a local harescramble race was over, and I really felt cramped on it, but that's the only thing I can say toward the negative side! Loved the suspension, steering was awesome, and the motor felt strong (as long as I kept it in the right gear!).
    Thanks again for the great input!
  16. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    One more thing I forgot to ask....any differences in model years? Totally new to the brand, but thought about trying to get a deal on a holdover later this year??
  17. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    11 and 12 models were pretty much the same. Earlier models had a different ignition, and front forks....
  18. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    2010 went with KYB forks as opposed to the older bikes with Marzocci ones.
  19. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    This bike does rip... my arms off, as Hogwackr stated lol. The power band hits hard but that is the fun factor right there. I installed a racehead, rekluse and a LHRB for racing h/s and x/c. I also run 100 octane fuel. I'm 6'1", 180, I just finished an enduro cross/ harescramble last Sunday, first race of the year. Over 20 log jumps, skidder tires that are laying flat and standing up, rock gardens, all kinds of good stuff. The bike handled it all flawlessly. Love it.
    utopia likes this.
  20. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    Awesome! I raced an endurocross/hs mix track a couple years ago and loved it also! Hey Steve-oh, did the rekluse make the bike a little more linear? My 450 had a REALLY hard hit off the bottom in stock form, between a flywheel weight and the rekluse, it is much more manageable in the woods :-) Just the extra weight and the not-so-tight steering make it not so fun after about 2 hours in a 3 hour race!
    So it sounds like a 2010 to '12 is the bike I'll start looking for :-)