1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Is your 144 hard starting?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mnnthbx, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    I have a 26 hour 2013 CR144, and it's a 12-20 kick starter when cold. I've been into bikes and tuning for a few decades, so I have some bit of confidence my jetting is on point. Just curious if the bike in general has this atribute... Easy starter once warm.

With all my prior bikes, once I had the jetting sorted for the warmer majority of the year, I'd step up a size on the pilot once they became hard to start once the weather turned cold. On this bike, from a performance standpoint, the carboration is great, but at no point in the weather year is the cold start an easy task...

Your thoughts are appriciated.
  2. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    I'm having a similiar problem, but with a 165. I'm thinking its a crap plug as the spark is a bit intermittent/weak. Have you checked your spark?
  3. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    mines(13 wr125) the same when cold, 1 kick when hot! think if it doesnt fire in first or second kick when cold they flood real easy. i was thinking about it the other day so tried it before a ride thursday. when i didnt catch it the first or second kick cold(choke on) i tried it with throttle closed(i know generally youd have it wide open to fire up when flooded but...) & hey presto! dont ask me why but it works. maybe too rich a pilot?
  4. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    my 150 now with a 30 pilot starts 2 - 5 kick cold, then usually 1st kick when warm.
    If its been two weeks or more since the last ride I always drain the float bowl otherwise it can be a pain to start.
    With a pilot above 40 it was 10 - 15 kicks when cold.
  5. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    Nope, fires right up cold. Good idea about draining the carb as this gas we have now is short lived in small spaces like the bowl. I shut mine off at the end of each race and let it run out.
    I have a dead engine start and its rare to kick it twice.
  6. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    I'm on a 30/470, RM needle, RB bored carb, Scalvini pipe. I jet for performance, not spooge. That said, It makes decent spooge, but I think that's an effect of having a white rear fender more than anything. Doesn't run down the silencer or anything.

Starts super easy warm. The cold start is always a bit alarming if I'm on a far away road trip. Every bike I've owned prior was a 1-3 kicker cold....