1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st It lives!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Dauer, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '89 Yamaha TDR250, '01 ATK 605
    After a year in my possession sitting dormant the day of reckoning has come. Please be witness to my 360 running for the first time after many hours and questions directed toward all of you. I set the timing with a wooden dowel (that's some swamp Yankee engineering) per the recommendation of a few people more informed than me and after about 6 kicks (3 of which were pathetic) she fired up. She even idles!

What should follow such an unbelievable claim would be a video to serve as undeniable proof, such a video does exist, I just can't figure out how to upload it at the moment. So for the time being this pic of the result of a few less than accurate starting attempts will have to do. Enjoy and thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without you guys. :cheers:

Attached Files:

BenM, ohmygewd, Huskynoobee and 3 others like this.
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Nice work yeh best to wear ya moto boots wen kikn em!
  3. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Glad to hear it fired for ya. Nice reminder of this special event on your leg.
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Wear boots to kick the mule!
    Pleased shes running now take her for a spin, to see why you went to all the effort.
  5. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:

Yes, amateur mistake on my part. I was just so anxious to fire it up after getting it all back together that I couldn't be bothered, I know better, I swear. Took it for a little putt-putt around my yard, came on pipe for a hot second and it made me giddy. Gonna try taking it for a proper ride this weekend.
    oldbikedude and woodsrider like this.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    says the guy that rides with tennies :thinking:
    Dauer, johnnyboy and shawbagga like this.
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    He has you on a technicality there juicy! :)
    johnnyboy likes this.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    just remember, kick more back instead of down..will be a big help..
    Dauer and juicypips like this.
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ahahaaha yeah i know lol but you gotta be a real man to kick the thing over in tennies lol
    I try guys im getting better, my forma dominators have a few scuffs on em ;)
    An i did say to kick the mule over you can put trainers, loafers, sake shoes or flipflops on after shes running.
  10. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:

That's solid advice. It seems that if I get the piston around TDC then get my foot nice and square on the lever and kick it like I mean it, it fires up very consistently.

Also, the original TM 38 seems to be dialed in pretty well too, I gave it a good cleaning while it was out of commission. The PO had the main jet bumped up to 450 (has a FMF fatty) and the pilot down to a 30, unsure why you would lean the pilot out that much, perhaps it suited his riding better or there were issues with the plug loading up. None the less I replaced the pilot with a 40 per the original specs and it seems to be good, perhaps it's too early to tell and I should reserve judgement until I take it for a proper ride...
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    take it for a proper ride of course..my 95 ran pretty good with the mikuni, and started easily. i later swapped it out to a lectron to see what the noise was about...but the mikuni did ok. the mikuni i still have...in my parts stash..wont be going back on and a second bike will have a lectron soon..
    Darrel78 and oldbikedude like this.
  12. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, a proper ride is definitely in order. A lectron is also on the list but the mikuni will have to suffice for now because there are other items on the list that take precedent, such as tires and an intake manifold.

Also, should probably start a new thread for this but figure I'll ask while I have the attention of you 360 owners more informed than I. There seems to be a fair amount of ticking noise coming from the area of the power-valve housing. Is this normal? It is more noticeable at idle but I think that's just because there is less noise elsewhere. I adjusted the linkage per the manual (it was close). I understand there is a minimum clearance the power-valve must maintain within relation to the piston. Wanted to get your input before I started tearing thing open again.
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Personally my bike has had a fully rebuilt engine new bearings throughout and new conrod, the thing still sounds like the main bearings are gone. But alas its all good.
    The engines are noisy and mine at 60mph sounds like its going to blow up, twist that throttle and at 70 mph sounds fine... Weird.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    mine has a very small amount of noise like you mention around the powervalve actuator area..other than that it is very quiet. no more engine noise than anything else ive noticed..and much quieter than an air cooled machine
  15. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok, that provides me some peace of mind, thanks. It certainly isn't exhibiting any symptoms that would lead me to believe it's anything other than a healthy, sound motor.

As for the tires: they are definitely past their use by date. They have a decent amount of knobby left but they are harder than nails. I took the bike for a short spin down the road (asphalt) and applied some throttle, fully expecting the front wheel to loft but instead was greeted with the rear wheel laying down a strip of rubber...so yeah, time for new tires.
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    hard rubber is awful. depending on how the suspension is set up however it might not get traction on pavement, lol.
    my 95 has always hooked up well in the dirt..good chassis
  17. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haha, yes I concur that pavement isn't the optimum road surface for knobbies! I'm sporting the stock showas front and back so a proper suspension setup either utilizing the stockers or upgrading is also on the list. Suspension is healthy however...fresh fluid, sliders and seals in the front. Do the 45mm showas have compression and rebound adjustment?
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i have the 43mm showas on my 95...and yes they are adjustable both ways at both ends... i sent both forks and shock out to drew at WER and now they feel great. was a bit harsh before, and softly sprung.
  19. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's been confirmed that my 45mm showas are adjustable on both ends, probably should've got on my back and taken a peek before I asked...thank you. Here comes another noob question (have a '99 manual but can't seem to source a '92 manual): Dampening/preload is adjusted on the top and compression/rebound on the bottom? I've seen WER mentioned before and it's clear they come highly recommended, when the time comes I'll be sure to reach out to them.

Sidenote: I switched my Magura 312 throttle from the XC to the Enduro setting per recommendations from a previous thread (thanks again Justin) and the throttle delivery is definitely favorable. On the XC setting is was like a light switch, I could see that getting me into trouble in the woods. Love this site!
    justintendo and oldbikedude like this.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    on my showas the top is rebound, bottom is compression..
    i love the 312! well built smooth throttle! the mx setting is fast, maybe good for a track or a 125...the enduro setting is nice! and its still way faster than the earlier husky throttles, which you had to regrip to get full throttle! i have enough 312 throttles to supply any future endeavors! forgot about your year coming with it stock i believe..