1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc It's time for a 144 kit

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Mountain_Man, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Mountain_Man Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 CR125 Husky, 06 TC510, 08 TC510
    The ole girl finally worn the top end and now im searching for a big bore kit instead because throwing back a new oem and then going to a machinist will cost 3/4 of the price for a 144. I looked on Ital Husky and saw the 2011 CR150 top end assembly(with cylinder head included) for $990 Canadian. Will everything fit on the 2006 125 or do I need to get the stock 06 head dome milled to 2011 size?
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It will fit, but for that amount I would get a 165.
    justintendo likes this.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    That's dear . You need the 144 head or mod the orginal . Should be able to get one for 4-500 but not many around .

There is also an option of a 139 - Max power conversion . Said to rev like a 125 .
  4. Mountain_Man Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

I've vaguely heard about the 165 mod flying around on this site, how is the crank/rod life expectancy and cylinder wall thickness on it? I am more likely leaning towards the 144 just to stay on the long lasting side.

For modding the original head to save a couple bux, Is it just shaving a bit to accommodate the size of the piston?
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I don't think there is a significant longevity compromise with the 165. Lots of guys out there with tons of hours on original 165 parts. They aren't perfect but pretty long lived. I have 300 kits out in use or should be in use and I doubt I sell 30 replacement pistons a year and only twice that in rings. There are a couple of cross referenced rings available but the piston is pretty much a one off piece and unless you are going to buy more than 10 double the price I charge. I am not trying to sway you towards a 165 just want you to know that there isn't a huge reliability issue with cylinder strength or piston/ring longevity.

Converting a 125 head for 144 use is very straight forward and as simple as enlarging the squish to accept the piston. This will bump your compression into possible race gas need but simple. Pretty easy to re-chamber the head accordingly so you can maintain pump gas compression. If you are going to all the trouble it makes sense to have the head re-chambered and also machined to reduce the squish to more ideal dimensions. JFYI
    Petar and NCSteve like this.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    300 kits?! Nice work Walt. Bet you'd have double or triple that if they were still bein made n GG or SWM made a 125 with that donk!
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Mountain Man, you just heard from the father of the 165. You can get opinions from anyone else, but Wallybean knows this motor as good or better than the guys at Husky. The 165 has been run all over the world and torture tested in many a race. You should consider it as a real option.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Re reading the first post its says the 150 head is included so I don't see why the 06 head would even be used.

Nothing wrong with 165 kits - they are more low/mid end grunt machines

If you just need a 125 top end you should be able to get it for a couple of hundred off here - possibly the newer version as well
  9. Mountain_Man Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Thank you Wally for shedding the light to me, the 144 idea was more of because it's easily available locally and parts come in fast for them. Good thing is, I will have an extra top end lying around for the 165 mod when the project bug bites again!;)
    NCSteve likes this.