1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc JD ignition units

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MOTORHEAD, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Does anyone know what the maximum advance you should see with the JD ignition unit in race mode is?

I have one that I need to set the timing on, but I'm not sure what the what the maximum advance is programed for. If I could get a hold of the cable and software I could check it, but I can't seem to get that either.

I know the stock CDI unit runs about 26 degrees of advance, but I'm not sure how far JD pushes it.
  2. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Is this for your WR250?
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes. I put it on back in the spring and found that the timing was way off, but I had a race that weekend and didn't have time to sort it out, so I just pulled it back off and never got back around to trying it again. I figure I'm going to have a little down time here soon and need to try and get it set up right.

I knew something was wrong as soon as I fired the bike up and took it for a spin. This set up normally give good results and it was running like a pig. So I checked the timing with a light and found I had no advance just above idle and it went negative after that.

This is with a '01 stator. With the '02 unit it's a straight up affair and runs great, but I've never had a light on one, so I don't know for sure what the max. advance was. Something I should have checked for future knowledge, but never got around to. :banghead:
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    OK, I've got it figured out now. it's the difference in the "trigger" on the '01 vs. '02 flywheel.