Jd Kit, No Pu...?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by ContraHusky, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

If one is going to use the JD kit, is the P/U kit mod really necessary? There remain benefits to having a closed-loop system working. Namely, steady-state-throttle fuel economy (ie, highway driving) and movements to/from high altitude.

Taking the O2 sensor out of the loop just strikes me as kinda drastic, when it serves a function. There are other ways (JD Kit) to enrich the fuel mixture when accelerating.
  2. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

This is an '11 TE630...sorry.
  3. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

according james from jd jetting,the mikuni fuel injected huskys must have the o2 sensor removed for his fuel injection tuner to work.dan
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    The Lambda Sensor or "o2 sensor" is a narrow band 02 sensor. It does not do quite what you'd think: its function is to lean out the system whenever it and the ECU "thinks" it can. NO pratical function for what the bike is meant for. It makes the goal fuel ratio a poor one intended only to achieve EPA/fuel economy. These add on systems (JD/DJ) will not work right with the ECU in that mode and with the Lamda Sensor hooked up. Think of it like this: they'd be fighting with each other: since you can't achieve 2 A/F ratios at once.

having the system in Open loop lets you make adjustments with the Piggyback units- and puts you in more direct controle when making I/beat adjustments. Without goin into PU mode the 02sensor is like an annoying backseat driver that keeps putting in its 2 cents/ not knowing where we are even headed or that there's a big obstacle in 5.4.3.2.1!!! PU Mode is a more stable system that still uses Temp, Alt, air density.... as factors. I have ridden below 30' F at sea level and 95' F in the Mountains. Bike ran the same- no lambda/o2 since day 3.

5. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the input...I'm not going to worry about it. I might get a JD tuner, but will ride the bike through break-in first.
  6. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    You should power up if you haven't yet...It is a husky-approved part and therefore won't void your warranty and it's better than risking having the bike stall on you while you're pulling in front of traffic!
  7. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    There is absolutely no benefit for you to wait on installing a PU kit. Once installed, the bike will run as it was intended to, not too lean to meet the EPA emissions requirements. Unfortunately, the EPA is cracking down on motorcycles and weed wacker OEM's lately. Apparently they have overlooked the amount of emissions a typical commercial aircraft releases at takeoff. :lol: Where are all the lobbyists for us little guys?? :D

I want clean air to breath like the next guy but come on....do modern FI four stroke motorcycle engines pollute THAT much?? Why can't 21st century engineers create a motor that pleases the EPA and will run properly in stock form?? I believe it's a combination of politics and a limited financial budget.

Ok, I'm done ranting!! Power Up at will guys!!
  8. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I'd power up during breakin. I ran the first 30 miles without and the head pipe turns unnatural colors(not glowing red) with those lean settings. You can still go slow in PU mode.
  9. WhiteAndRed Husqvarna
    A Class

I don't know the finer points of these Mikuni FI systems, but altitude compensation is mostly handled by the mass flow air sensor. Once the computer knows the amount of air mass entering the engine, along with other info, like throttle opening, engine rpm, etc, it then injects the fuel based on the map. The O2 sensor, is a feedback to the computer to determine what the outcome of its. It is not essential for altitude adjustment.