JD Tuner Discovery

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Puckerbush, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    I called the folks in Washington State (JD Tuner) to discuss my severe "flat spot" in my 08TE510. I told them I still have the Lamda Sensor attached to the pipe and connected under the tank. They told me the JD Tuner will not work with the 02 sensor connected. That whatever commands you
    send via the Tuner will be countered by the 02 sensor. I checked the documentation that was sent with the unit and it says nothing about this.
    I was able to order the kit from Hall's Cycle and now awaiting to remove the O2sensor. I am very anxious for my bike to work the way it was intended and not stall when coming off the line.
    Tinken, benwiggin2 and bigjon like this.
  2. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Holy cow what a revelation!
    What about the rest of the Power Up kit? Throttle and intake block off bits? Are they still installed?
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Makes sense that within a range the feedback loop from the sensor will try to make the ECU compensate.

Also....the 'kit' is a common plug for the pipe bung available at any auto parts store, plus a jumper plug with resistor (this usually requires a dealer to get, though you can make a backwoods one with the resistor from Radio Shack).
  4. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    I'm still awaiting the kit so I don't know what it includes. Yes, the plug you mention looks like a pipe thread with a heat resistant washer. It's the resistor jumper that plugs into the harness that I need to get. Hall's billed me $50 for the kit, but the way my bike runs (or should I say doesn't run), that's a bargain.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  5. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  6. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    Get ready for a totally different bike.
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Definitely very little throttle lag, it barks;)
  8. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    When you get the kit I would run it first without the tuner. That way if the tuner settings arent spot on out of the box then you will know that it isnt one or the other.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That's only if you can find a Radio Shack that sells them, and a 20 something kid at the desk who might have a clue what a resistor is without using scroogle.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have the Radio Shack number at home....made my first one from instructions on Supermoto Junkie...which are copied here someplace in the 610 forum. Will post an update later.
  11. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Must be bike dependent because they had my personal 2011 TE511 in their shop to design the maps for and said it made zero difference if the o2 was plugged in or not. Mine is still plugged in and does for sure work / make a difference when changing.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  13. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    He is running the old EFI system ('08 510) so Im not surprised....the jumper resistor is how you induce the 'race map' on those bikes, and it plugs into the Lambda connector. Every once in a while BMP and I conspire to make a batch of these ...they buy the connector part and prongs and I add the resistor and dip to seal....
    JonXX and benwiggin2 like this.
  14. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have made up hundreds have 25 in stock, along with the bung plugs.
    Later George
    ray_ray likes this.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    The old system? What is it gonna be like in 20 yrs when someone has an issue with one of these 2008 model bikes? We'll definitely need info like this written down somewhere ...

Lots of time a little eduction \ knowledge goes a lot ways on a subject that seems complex ..
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    There will be an old guy with an antique laptop, a soldering iron, and ancient resistors here on CH to help.:cheers:
  17. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Update: Got the kit and removed the O2 sensor and plugged in the resistor plug. What a difference! No hesitation at all. I set up the JD Tuner according the the recommended settings and now I think I need to tweek it a little because when the clutch dumps in first gear, I feel it needs to have a little more power at that rpm range. But I'm not sure if leaning or richening will give me the extra low rpm power.
    One big noticeable difference is the gas mileage. With the Lambda sensor I was getting 55mpg, now I get 45mpg. But that mileage is very similar to my son's 09 510TE which has the kit installed.
    bigjon and benwiggin2 like this.
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    ^ If you have the stock bazooka of a exhaust on your '08 then you are leaving some performance on the table. The '08 p/u kit Arrow exhaust looks good and sounds even better. Sheds a lot of weight also.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  19. maddog82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450
  20. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Kelly, that makes sense on the 449/511 bikes.

When the jumper is installed & 'Race mapII' is on, the ECU disregards the O2 sensor & runs in open map mode.
    You could leave the O2 connected to the loom & installed, but it woukldn't do anything uless the jumper plug was removed & ran the ECU mapI.