JD tuner not working on TE450

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by mattomoto, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mattomoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey crew. Looking for some help. I have an 08 TE450 powered up and Arrow exhaust with a JD tuner on it. Bike had been running great and love the JD on it as it smoothed it out. However, I had a small off trail riding and the bike would not start (been running single track). Pump primmed and bike turned over, just would not fire. I guess I flooded it as fuel was leaking out the exhaust header??? We were out in the sticks, but had tools and took it all apart looking for loose wires and what have you. Finally after an hour of playing and no success, unpluged the JD and went to stock and the bike fired up! Got home no problem.

While at home, took the tank back off and plugged the JD back in. Again flooded the header and no start- wanted to, but was flooding the head. So back to stock and it fired up and ran fine.

I am guessing when I crashed (very minor tip over in the bushes at low speed) I may have hit the controller? but I cannot check the settings as the bike has to be running to do this correct? Seems the bike is getting way to much fuel and flooding it out?

Anyone heard of this? I have not called JD yet as this just happened. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matto
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    The only way there is gas flowing into the intake manifold and then into the head is that the injector is stuck on full open, either the TPS is saying "full throttle" or something else is connected/grounded in the Tuner that is opening the injector fully and the pump priming is squirted fuel past an errantly open injector into the head..
  3. Freaky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250 x-lite Race ECU/Injector
    check your wires are not squashed, I trapped some of the wires on my JD between the seat and the frame causing the wires to break within the insulating plastic. The bike would not start at all until I repaired the wires.
  4. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    What freaky says sounds logical. The tuner itself is pretty robust and it would take a pretty big impact to damage it. Where did you have it mounted? Cam.
  5. cbreakin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    I had a similar experience with the JD tuner. I solved my issue by pulling the ground wire off from under the rectifier and steel wooling the the frame to create a better ground. No issues since.
  6. mattomoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you all for the replys. I will remove it tomorrow and see if there are any problems with the wires first and check the ground also. I had it mounted up on the triple tree near the dash. It did not get hit when I fell as far as I know. It was a light fall off a single track into some bushes.

Only thing I wish it that you could check the settings without the bike running to make sure everything was set correctly. Will report back what I find.

Thanks again!