1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Jetting an 09 wr 144

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Aviduser, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Bikes always been rich and with the fresh 144 top end. Same story.

Have a spare carb I want to somewhat calibrate to remedy this. I don't have the bike on hand.

Stock 400/35 needle @ 3rd clip.

So my question is at 8*c 700 asl the manual is telling me to richen the mixture to the 4th clip. But i want to lean out the needle to the 2nd clip.

The bike smokes like its been neglected for a decade. Power is flat mid range, needs to be really cleared out to rev.

I'm not looking for spot on perfect jetting with this bike. Just want some confirmation this is ok.
  2. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    What I would personaly do is ask the good kind members on this site that have switched to the lectron if someone has a PWK up for grabs.
    I chased my jetting with the Mikuni all over the place, That thing hated changes in weather and altitude. The PWK even gets the bog/flat spot to virtually dissapear but you may have to adjust the power valve to completely be rid of it !
    Or bite the bullet and get the Lectron as these really do the 125/144/165 a world of good.
    My 144 was perfecly jetted with the PWK but on fitting the Lectron became SO SO much better.
    Just my thoughts and good luck with the Mikuni if you still choose to go with it :thumbsup:
    huskybear and Aviduser like this.
  3. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I spent more time adjusting the stock mikuni than actually enjoying it! The lectron will ease the pain and let you really enjoy the bike. I have had the lectron on my wr150 for a long time and have only done minor adjustments here and there to keep it singing. As johnnyboy said,adjusting the power-valve linkage helps a lot with the bog issue, several threads about adjusting it on this forum(mine is set near the top of the slot in the actuating arm linkage).Hope this helps:cheers:!
    Aviduser likes this.
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    My 08 165 with older TMX ( that as you would know runs leaner settings) is running well with 360 main and 17.5 pilot needle second clip . I have head mod to suit aussie fuel and have no detonation and checked piston recently .
    Spark plug is still quite a dark brown.
    Id try 2nd clip . Id also try a smaller pilot . 30 or smaller. I used to run 27.5 as standard . I don't have any bogs at all - ever .
    And temps vary quite a lot from 8 to 35 deg C .
    Aviduser likes this.
  5. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    I do have a lectron on my bike and it is the cats pajama's. This is my fathers bike and hes not terribly mechanically inclined. Been through the powervalve/mid range bog on my bike and have adjusted his off the bat. Still running way rich in the midrange it seems.

I did lean out the needle to 2nd clip and have a .30 pilot sitting here. I think we will put the carb on the bike and I will determine if a smaller pilot is needed through the usual air-screw/idle method. I like to keep the pilot a bit on the richer side in fear of oil starvation wide open to throttle chop. Suppose we could try the zuki needle trick.

I don't like chasing these mikuni's around in circles anymore either. But it took long enough to talk him into a 144 kit.

360 main and 17.5 pilot wow and still a dark plug, whats your elevation there?

Thanks guys
  6. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    you are talking an 09 so newer TMX - slightly richer jets -
    I ride mostly sea level - up to 1500 ft
    My 09 CR 144 was running well with RM needle and standard slide - never got to try 5.0 slide