Jetting for Colder Weather - 2 stroke

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by mikebru, Aug 31, 2014.

1. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    I'd like to get my bike ready for colder weather riding.

There are a few dual sports here in NJ last week of Oct and 1st weekend of November. Also, a mid-Oct ride in Pa.

I assume coldest temps would be in mid 40's in the morning but warming up.

Any need to change my jetting on 2009 WR250 with Keihin carb?

Main jet 175

Pilot jet 42

Slide 7

Needle has red top, think its JD needle.

Clip is in the 2nd from top slot which is the 4th up from the bottom most position.

Is the cold I described cold enough to change anything?

I read to lower clip (raise needle) to richen fuel and maybe go bigger on pilot and main.

If I need to change jets, do I just order individual from JD or somewhere else?

The Pa ride will be at much higher altitude than I usually ride. NJ rides are how I usually ride. Bike runs well now at low elevations, warm weather.

Thanks
    Mike
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    just slap a lectron that puppy and be done with it:banana:
  3. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to buy a Motosportz Lectron but can't spend the dough now.

My carb seems to be set up great now. Starts 1st kick with the cooler weather.

I'm going to the Hammer Run dual sport ride this Sunday. It's supposed to be in the low to mid 30's in the morning. I'm concerned the bike may not run great in the cold. This will be my first cold weather riding with new to me bike.

I think i've read almost all there is to read about carbs and jetting. I have no spare jets to change out, though.

So, I read that since cold air is more dense than warm air the bike will be leaned out in cold weather since more oxygen molecules will be stuffed into the same volume of air entering the carb.

My question is this -to compensate for more air, and without different jets to change, should I turn the air screw in to allow less air into the carb, thereby 'evening out' the mix? If I don't adjust the air screw then the bike would be lean which would hurt performance and is dangerous to the engine, correct?

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, though. I'm a pretty slow rider so maybe I won't even feel any difference with the weather.

What do you guys think?
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    screw it in mite raise the needle a notch[ lower the clip] it seems odd to me the tmxx on my CR144 doesn't seem to mind cooler temps some guys hafta rejet when the wind blows
  5. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Troy