jetting help please

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Jordan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jordan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 txc450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha '04 yz250
    I have a 09 TXC450. The bike runs great when its running, but it is a pain in the butt to start most of the time weather it is cold or hot. Its been like this for as long as i can remember. ive installed a jd jetting kit hoping this would help but not really. I havent really a clue what to do, so this is where im hoping you guys could help.
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    You've got to describe the starting trouble in more detail. When cold, does it start better with or without choke? If you start it with the choke and turn it off right away, does the motor die or keep running? If you try to start it a bunch and it won't start, and you pull the plug, what does it look like? When the motor is cold, does it start easier when it's warm outside or cold outside?
  3. Jordan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 txc450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha '04 yz250
    Pull the choke out blip the throttle couple times when your first starting it for the day and it usually fires up around kick 4 or 5. That part I'm fine with.I guess what irritates me is when I'm on a trail ride or lined up and that it doesn't want to start after the motor has been running already for awhile. It doesn't matter what the temp is either or altitude. Acts the same here in Missouri as it does in Colorado. I've never pulled the plug to look at it for starting, cause I figured it would just tell you what it was doing while it was running.
  4. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    Have you had a look at the valves lately? If the valves are not in spec, starting will get harder and harder. If you haven't adjusted the valves or can't confirm they are in spec, I would check that first.
  5. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    My guess is your fuel mixture screw is wound out too far causing a rich pilot circuit. You'll be able to start it cold, but not warm.
    What size pilot jet did you install?
    Did you install the jd adjustable fuel mixture screw?
    Also... Use the hot start and dont ever blip the throttle when starting a warm engine.
  6. Jordan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 txc450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha '04 yz250
    yes i have a adjustable fuel screw in it. I dont remember what size pilot it is. thanks also for your advice, turning it in helped out.
  7. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    What is your mixture screw set at(turns out)? that will tell us about your pj