1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Joined the WR125/144 and soon 165 club

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by HSrider, Jul 16, 2013.

1. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I finally own a Husky thought about it many of times but never pulled the trigger even after riding a few friends TXC250 and 310, loved the handling but never bought one. Well after reading a lot on here and TT about the 165 kits and husky having a super sale I had to try one. Finally got it prepped this past week as I do all my new bikes only thing I ran out of time on was checking the jetting and suspension. So got to put in about an hour each day on the bike and the stock jetting wasn't to bad but I'm sure it can be better. And the suspension I didn't worry about because I know it needs to break in. Plus at 210 I know I'll need springs at a minimum. So after my first outting all I can say is WOW......

WOW this thing was fun I'm 48 and Senior A level rider and this bike was a blast. I've never owned a 125 and it is so light weight and fun to ride I was having a blast even if it wasn't set up perfect. And the thing that impressed me the most is the handling even with the FIM knobbies which I wasn't impressed with the bike still handles Great. It lugged down nice the few times I had to lug it maybe not as nice as my 300KTM but still lugged. Blows the 300 away in the handling department.

So now I'm in the husky club and I just need to get the bike more set up for me and also work on getting the 125 cylinder sent out to do the 165 kit and in the mean time I will run the 144. My plans on 125 converted to 165 and KTM pipe and Lectron carb and after that I think I will have a permanent grin on my face :banana: At least I hope so and if it's like this weekends maiden voyage it will be fun owning and riding this bike.

Any set up tips you all have feel free to post them. I will be playing with the jetting and eventually getting the suspension done and also need to get a headlight and taillight for a few enduro's coming up. So any advice or tips you all might have would be appreciated. I already went through it and greased everything, loc-tited things and anti-seized things so now just need to have a little fun and continue setup. All also have the EE radiator guards. Might need to look for a taller seat and different bar bend but for now I'll be happy with the stock stuff.
    john01, typeone, wallybean and 3 others like this.
  2. retromlc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250i 2018
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta Evo 250 4/
    hi HSrider,i'm in the same boat,47 and gone back to 125,(last one was a '07 KTM 125 exc) I love this bike,the rear spring is using full stroke but front seems good,engine is a blast,unfortunately in England they don't give you a free 144 kit anymore,which is a shame,i'm tempted to buy one as things could only be better with it fitted,once you have fitted yours post up the differences as i'd be interested in a 1st time owners view.cheers,retro
  3. gwilliams107 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    79 YZ250 - 06 YZ250f - Triumph T100
    48 yrs old and just took the plunge on the CR125 also. Hope to get the 165 kit done this fall also.
    Anyone have a preferred source for preprinted backgrounds for the number plates?
  4. JSK73 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB144
    I've been quite happy with the backgrounds I purchased from Decal Works. They have lots of styles to choose from and plenty options for a little customization. Plus they've held up great!
    john01 likes this.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

CONGRATS! I'm 54 now and have been enjoying my 08 CR 125. 144, and now WB165 for a three or more years now and as you have figured out they are sweet bikes :applause:. Just don't wait to long to enjoy you own WB165 or you'll be kicking your own butt for doing so. Enjoy and welcome to the club :cheers:.
    sabortooth likes this.
  6. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I hear you john01 and I'm going to try and not wait to long, but I think it will be cool to try it at all stages as well.

As for the graphics question I always use RidePG and have had good luck with them the material is thick and tough and you can customize them to say anything. On one of my bikes I had on the front fender and swingarm "My Wallet Racing" :D
  7. GARACERX Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WB 165, 11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, gasgas, ktm
    I'm 54 yo B HS rider,I came across a killer deal on a 2009 WR125 2 weeks ago. It was so pretty I couldnt resist.
    It was purchased new leftover in 2012, and looks like it has no time at all on it.
    I have owned approx 60 dirtbikes, this is my first Husky.It feels wonderful with virtually no set up! Ergos, brakes, suspension,
    balance..WOW
    I cant imagine how good it will get with some set up and a 165 kit (on the way!)
    sabortooth and john01 like this.
  8. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I wonder how many 125's were sold just with people wanting the 165 kits :).
  9. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    Racing my 2013 all year and the only things I have done is the 144 kit and fork oil change to a 5wt. added set of hand guards and a tire change to the Vee rubber VMR 300 this is just fine for now.
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats and welcome to the club :cheers:.
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

12. GARACERX Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WB 165, 11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, gasgas, ktm
    Thank you! Standing at the door , waiting for the UPS man..lol
  13. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Got out for a 2nd weekend of riding on the WR125 and all I can say is I'm enjoying it and liking it so far. Two friends rode it this weekend and one has a WR300 and the other a TM Stroked to a 155 and the guy on the TM said the WR felt like it had more power than his stroked TM, that was pretty cool. It's definitely a learning curve coming off 250 and 300 2 strokes but so far I'm enjoying it and thinking about trying the 144 kit this coming weekend. Also have a lectron carb on the way not sure it will be here by the weekend though.

I do have another question what gearing are most running? I don't mind the stock but I'm thinking maybe a 1 or 2 teeth up on the read might give it a little more boost out of turns and all. Just thinking.
  14. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oh one more thing I hope that the new owners of Husky don't screw up the handling of these bikes. My last 4 bikes have been KTMs and I have to say this Husky blows them away in the handling department.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Glad you are liking the little Husky. I ran a 52 rear when mine (08CR) was in stock trim and it really helped. On the KTM messing with the Husky handling, that's my biggest fear about them owning Husky. That and them changing the 125/144 engines into pumpkins. The Husky ergos and handling just fit me better. I'm not saying the KTM's are bad; I just get along better with the Huskys. Oh, btw the little Husky only gets better with a few cc's :D.
  16. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    The big bore is rockin! Big pull, Same weight.
  17. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah really enjoying it and love the handling. KTMs aren't bad but man the Husky just works great. Guess I need to toss that 144 kit on this week so I can try it out this weekend. Heck who knows maybe my lectron will be here as well that could make for a totally different bike. Then ship off the 125 stuff to Walt for 165 magic.
    wallybean, john01 and sabortooth like this.
  18. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I did run the the bike in 125 trim with a 12-50 sprocket combination and changed it to a 13-52

I have now the full 165 combo and the 13-52 is still OK (waiting till it snaps off teeth) but I will try the next sprocket round with 12-47

in wet season the current combination is spinning to much on slippery trails in dry no problem

so I will end up with a wet season gearing and a dry season gearing.

Robert-Jan
  19. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

That sounds like a good idea with the dry and wet gearing combo's. Yeah I might play with the gearing a bit.