1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Just Bought 2012 WR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by CelticDude, Nov 1, 2011.

1. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Picked up my 2012 WR125 from Dan at Motoxotica on Saturday afternoon and then spent a few happy hours in my garage installing the Leo Vince muffler and new handguards. Rode it on Sunday and found it lacking in power in the bottom and midrange. It's about like a good 50cc two stroke until it hits the top end and then it takes off like a rocket on steroids! Woo-hoo! Not a good offroad powerband. Dan had dropped the pilot down to a 40 before I got it and I played with the jet needle until I settled with the second notch from the top. I will get a chance tomorrow to finally clean the bike up and take a look at the power valve and perhaps see what is going on. Should have a bit more bottom and midrange than that! It's also geared too high for tight single track so Dan has ordered me a 12 tooth primary sprocket. Handling is already great. I backed off five clicks on compression and rebound in the front and three on the back and it feels very good already. I'm sure it will get better as the seals break in and the springs settle.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :thumbsup:I'm sure you'll get it dialed in. The WR125 I rode at press day at The Ranch at Anza was jetted and tuned perfectly for the altitude that we were at. It had a very good powerband for a 125, and did very well in the tight, rocky gullies where I put it through it's singletrack paces.
  3. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just rode mine for the first time today and stock this thing is a big disappointment. It's not even close and how Husky can ship and sell it as is is a joke as they aren't going to get repeat customers with this effort. Mine is much like yours and it's so flat down low that I'm suspecting that the PV is opening up very late but when you're in what is a super narrow powerband in stock trim it lights up for sure but hardly what you want out of any 125 be it moto or woods.
    I dropped the pilot to a 40(stock is 45). I ended up with the screw at 2 turns out after fiddling and testing. Set the idle also. I raised/richened the clip one position from stock also. All this helped make it more ridable then stock but alas I suspect the PV needs work as I can't see being able to jet out the abrupt on/off and lack of low/mid transition. One thing I know needs to be addressed is the float level as well as I don't know about you but mine dumps gas way too much which is a problem as well as a mpg drain.
    It's a shame really as it handles well and the suspension stock felt good and I think it'll be great in turns but as is it was impossible to lean it in and try to rail turns with the poor transition the motor is currently offering and that was frustrating as the dirt today was perfect and begging to be blown up.
    I had an '09 CR125 and have an '10 CR125 so I know this is not how it has to be!
  4. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Thanks for chiming in. Good to know I'm not alone in my experience. I pulled the seat, tank and pipe off today and the cover off the power valve. First thing I noticed is that the power valve isn't closing like it should. I'd say it's about 3/8" from closed. I found another thread on this site about setting the power valve and it looks like mine is way off. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/125-power-valve-adjustment-again.9309/ I suspect this is causing the low end to be so crappy and the boggy midrange. Dan couldn't get the 12 tooth sprocket right away since I guess it is a Husky only item so I had him ship me a 52 tooth rear. I'd like to race this thing this weekend at a local Grand Prix but things are going to have to drastically improve if that is to happen!
  5. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Here we go again. WR owners wanting CR performance. This is like watching the movie "Groundhog Day". What is going on Husky? You've had 3 model years to get the WR right. WTF?
    ray_ray likes this.
  6. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not looking for CR performance just looking to get it to run cleanly. Hell I already have one of those.
    Sadly it needs a lot more massaging then should be necessary out of the box.
    In stock trim it's like a 2012 version of the infamous Honda Elsinore 125 circa 1974 powerband wise.
  7. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I hear you! I was planning on riding it at a dualsport this weekend but that's looking like a long shot between my limited time I'll have to try to sort it out.
    Don't know about you but on the stand it sounds and feels good but in real world conditions and under a load in the dirt is a whole different world so I know it's going to take some trail and error in real world conditions.
    Looks like you're on to something with the PV. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'm bummed! I was thinking... forget the Husaberg TE250, Im a Husky guy for goodness gracious and get a new WR125, it's going to rock with the new ignition and all. Not out of the crate anyway. If the one at the Press Intro ran great, there should be a dealer bulletin to set customer bikes up in that way.
  9. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Not sure what's going on but I just went out in the garage and dropped the powervalve quite a bit after loosening both bolts on the lever. It looks a lot better now when you look in the exhaust port. Before you could only see part of the powervalve and now it has dropped all the way down. I might have to take the day off tomorrow and check it out.
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey now.. I liked my old 74 Elsinore back in the day.. sorry just had to post these and bring back some good memories.. the virtues of youth!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

a few more

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    bax3, MR54L, aai and 6 others like this.
  11. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I have a 09 Wr125 and previously a 06 CR...when you get the jetting sorted the WR works well..it will be a bit softer than a CR for sure

The 125 in particular have always been extra sensitive to jetting and are way off out of the box.....they really need to get better at this !!!

X2 on the float levels... have always been high for me too...on all the husky's I have had...I tweak them slightly downward and never have problems after that

On my WR with a mikuni worked well with 30 pilot.. needle second from top and 450 main(approx 3-6000ft 70F)...the main made the biggest difference for me....eventually I did go with a Keihin...but the mikuni is OK

the powervalve works best IMO about 3/4 to 7/8 from the top of the slot

but I would only make one change at a time......jetting first then PV
  12. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    What kind of fuel are you running? Race gas helps this alot on the old ones.We got ours in and should have took one to the Nw gathering to dial in but figured we would just wait until the 150 kits in it.The one we rode at the dealer ride ran awesome but easy to run the higher rpms on a track so never really plonked it.They also have a13t std cs sprocket 12t makes alot better snap.I guess we start messing around and see what happens ,we may call the set up guy from dealer show and see if any little secrets.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Manufacturers sending carbs on engines set up rich is never going to change. If it was crisp and clean in one place it would probably melt the piston in another. IMO it's the dealer that should get the jetting close, not the manufacturer. If you are like me and bought yours in a crate from out of state then you (by choice) become the tuner. At least when it comes rich your not going to ruin anything but a spark plug.

Get ahold of the zen master tuner inside yourself and relax and embrace the challenge and fun to be had while tuning your engine to a perfect precise BRAAAP lol :)
  14. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think Husky has a hard time with the factory jetting because no two of these run the same. My bike will drool with a 32.5 pilot while others are running a 45. The RM needle works great on most but some will hardly run with it. It is a shame they do not at least come with the power vavle adjusted right.
  15. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    It isn't jetting. I don't think anyone but me and Vntgmx that bought a 2012 have any clue as to how bad it is. I've been racing longer than most of you were pooping yellow but you put the bike in first gear and crank the throttle and the bike accelerates like an anemic Vespa scooter. Then it hits the midrange and bogs until it hits this insane top end that almost wrenches the bars from your hands. Piece of cake.
  16. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds a lot like my '09 when I first rode it. I couldn't even accelerate in 5th on flat ground unless it was on the pipe. Adjusting the PV, adding a spring, jetting and the RM needle pretty much cured it. It is a shame that Husky is still shipping bikes in that state of tune.
  17. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bingo! The jetting part of it is easy,it's the PV junk that is unacceptable out of the box!
    Hell the jetting part of it is pretty much done what we're experiencing is something other then jetting.
    Oh and as far as it being able to run with a CR that is no problem. It's got plenty of beans and I have an '10 CR125 so I know what I'm talking about.
  18. pollolittle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wandering thought. Almost all vehicles in this day and age come extremely detuned, especially in the US! There is a large liability at stake due to the ability of anyone sueing and winning. Anyone, means even the girlfriend standing next to her dude, starting the machine and it gets away from him and hurts her, crazy I know! She gets to sue because the machine was too powerful for him right out of the box.

So, the only way they can sell these things is to detune them and give you, the consumer, a glimpse of what the beast has in store for you. Over in the four stroke forum they talk about their machines being so badly detuned and barely running, that, they wind up purchasing the power up kit and it comes with the bike. I don't see where this is any different, except the dealer doesn't know how to get around the liability issue so that they can set the bike up for max performance, which is you want from the get go.

Heck, CAN-AM Commander UTV comes with two different keys, one to hand to the wife and kids and another go fast key for dad. LIABILITY!

I don't know that by taking them back gets you anywhere but I'd love to see a way around the liability perspective of it and let the responsibility fall on those who purchase and ride them. So then the dealers mechanics or manufacturers can set them up correctly, for some go-fast goodness!!

One of the husky bikes has a plug that you plug into the harness which tells the computer to "LET's GET IT ON!" But then it sets in the ECU that you plugged in the plug and then the warranty gets reduced cause you put it in RACE MODE. So what to do?

On my Victory street bike, any Victory exhaust, that is sold as an upgrade, always has not for street use, off road only or racing purposes, stamped right on it. I don't think I'll be taking my 850 lb street bike off road very much, I have, but that's a different story.
  19. pollolittle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe one of the dealers or Billf could clarify why a lot of them stock out of the crate, run so poorly!
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yep, that's a spot-on description of my first ride on my `09 WR125, so there are a lot of Husky owners here that know exactly how bad it can be, CelticDude. You're not the only one.