1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Just did a re-ring on my 165 after 2000 hard miles.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Bike - My 04 CR125 with 165cc kit
    Oil - Amsoil Interceptor
    Fuel - Pump premium
    Carb - Lectron
    Mileage - 2000
    Type of riding - single track steep woods play riding and racing (2 ISDEs)

Bike still ran great but just thought it was time to do it. Plus as it is a 1 hour job and I have the ring might as well. First off Amsoil rules. The cylinder, power valve and piston look great. This is not an EZ 2000 miles but a slop around in the mud, climb the big hills, have a great time trashing it 2000 miles. 2 ISDE's and lots of deep woods / mountain time. I keep putting off redoing it as it just continues to run great.

So what did I find?

Plug looked perfect. Dry and tan.

Cylinder and head look very clean and nice...

[IMG]

Power Valves are super clean and free...

[IMG]

Piston is clean and ring is free. That carbon whipped right off and was not burnt on.

[IMG]

The old ring would accept a .024 feeler gauge. Biggest one on that set. Bet it is close to .030. The new one measures a perfect .012.

[IMG]

I am really impressed with the longevity of Walts 165 kit and the job Amsoil is doing. My bike spooges quite a bit, I don't care as it runs great and now looking at the lack of wear and cleanliness inside I am really impressed with the oil.

Good for another 2000 miles. Great stuff.
    utopia, john01, Xcuvator and 4 others like this.
  2. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    What ratio do you mix the Interceptor?
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That can not be true Remember the Italian Factory SAID the Husky 125 could only be made into a 144. The Italian Factory said the 165 would not survive. The Italian Factory said the bike was not designed to have that big a piston the Italian Factory said the rest of the motor would fail That is what was told to me when I presented a Walt Smith 165 kit to the now ex president of Husky
    Well then look at that a Crazie old mountain man in his garage built something that was said could not and would not work by the so smart motor builders in the new Italian Husky Factory

Also I have another 25 FMF pipes that are going to be shipped out today to mr Walt What would any one want with all those pipes for a motor that the Italian Factory said would not work
    Maybe we should send this new found information to the new owners of Husky since the old design Cagiva based 125 motor is such a good part
    Now to wrap all these pipes and wait for UPS
  4. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am going on 3 years with a 165 no problems yet I use Lucas 2 cycle oil mixed about 40 to 1 with 110 leaded race gas Last time i checked my piston looked about the same
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

42:1
  6. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    That is amazing. I saw Walt's earlier report with the same type of results. Very impressive guys. -Ed
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Hats of to Walt and his Team!
    woodsrider and typeone like this.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    not bad for .....a late eighties tech Cagiva 2T engine..(late 80s am I correct?)
  9. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR

amen. i love this motor.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are thinking of the 250 design. The 125 was re-done in 1998 and then updated like the 250 thru the years.
    robertaccio likes this.
  11. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Nice! That's good longevity for ANY motor, especially a "hot rod" one. I love these motors too. I certainly have been using my "old tech" motor to hurt feelings all summer, against the latest-greatest-newtech fi450s. Priceless!:thumbsup:
  12. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks really good and I just mounted up my 165 this week so hope to get the same kind of longevity out of it.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    New ring added some snap and power for sure. Bike ran good as it was but for sure gained some snap. Mike got his Motosportz WB165 clone out for a ride and it is a great runner / bike too (Based on a super clean 04 CR125). What we found riding them back to back is the Doma on mine makes a lot more bottom and mid and his FMF makes a lot more upper mid and top. We both agreed for woods work my pipe makes way more usable power. His would be awesome for MX as it is a rocket on top.

[IMG]
  14. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    So it looks like I need one of those Doma pipes.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I bet the older KTM 200 pipes might give a similar affect (will test one day soon) and can be had for cheap used on ebay. You have to butcher it up to get it on there anyways so get an old cheap pipe and make it work. :thumbsup: Its actually really fun trying different pipes on these bikes as it really moves the power around.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly is right. The old stock 200 exc pipe does exactly that. I have an 200 SXS special parts pipe that has been converted and it is the same. Tons of bottom/mid, limited top. I also have some franken pipes that offer a lot of the same qualities. The guy that had Brandon's kit before him had it set up with the old original 200 exc pipe and said it was brutal off the bottom with all the extra compression. Mike can gain some of that bottom back with some more compression as his kit has a reduced compression head for pump gas(less than yours Kelly). If Mike wants to try one of my stash of bottom/mid pipes I will send one over.
  17. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Feel free to send one over here :banana:

If you ever have a bottom/mid pipe for sale, I'd be interested.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm sure he would he preferred the power on my bike. Low and mid power are more useful in the tight tress and up loose slick hills we have here. The ability to swap between a top end pipe for open stuff and a low end pipe for technical woods work is a very nice feature of this durable and amazing power plant.
  19. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

When I get back from riding down south of here! :banana::applause::cheers: I will put together some pics of the various pipes I have. They are all bottom/mid pipes. If I didn't have the auto clutch I would run one. Yipppppeeee.......vacation after 8 months on with only a couple of days off total.
    cbienusa, Motosportz and sabortooth like this.