1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Just picked up a TE310. Can someone help me out?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gp1152, Mar 16, 2013.

1. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Streetfighter 1098s
    Hello everyone. I just picked up a TE310 today. I've been riding for a while on street bikes but am pretty new to dirt. I rode the bike around for a bit today and am a bit concerned with how twitchy the bike is. I was told that a remap will fix the "twitchy-ness" of this bike. Can anyone tell me what to expect. It's pretty bad right now.
    Thanks for the help. Hopefully some day soon I'll be familiar enough with this bike that I'll be able to return the favor :thumbsup:
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Welcome gp1152,
    Congrats on your new ride.:thumbsup:
    I have to say "Twitchy-ness " is not a lot to go on.:excuseme:
    Before you get anything 'remapped' I think you should get some hrs on that puppy. The suspension will be real stiff for awhile till broken in. And for that matter so will the engine.
    Follow what the manual says for break in procedures. Say 2-3 tank fulls and then see how things are.
    If your talking about riding in dirt...check your tire psi and make sure it's not too high for dirt riding.
    Hope that helped a bit and go have some fun.
    :cheers:
  3. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks a lot huskydude. I appreciate the feedback. I guess if I were to explain it further, I'd say that the throttle is either on or off. There doesn't seem to be much in between. I had an MV Agusta Brutale which had the same issue which is why I asked about the re-mapping. Any thoughts (other than the initial ones)?
  4. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    First off define twitchy. To me that's handling. In that regard make sure for the street the tires are maybe 17r/18f (under 20lbs in any regard) and slightly less for fire roads with some rubble down to 11/12 or so for climbing and more techical or racing. The bike will seem to wander, but its knobbies and a 21 inch front, so it's going to wander/steer quickly, until you get balanced and a few miles on. It's fuel injected and plenty of torque so it may seem on off but you will get used to it and keep a steadier throttle hand. You may want to adjust the rear brake pedal down a tad too. Brakes are powerful and a light touch is all they require. A lot of posts here regarding tuning the 12's. Mine is a 13 so different. If your bike isn't running well a simple search should get you some tuning answers. If the bike is brand new... I'de have the dealer get it runing as it should first off, whether as stock or powered up. Hope this helps.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    John had a pretty good post with lots of tips. But this ones hits home for you.

When I first got my 510 (FI) when I closed the throttle it would almost seem to put me over the handle bars from engine breaking. Pretty well had to relearn throttle control.

In the mean time you might want to look at a slower throttle cam system.
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    The throttle can be an issue for me as well if creeping through some rubble on a steep downhill in 1st. Defintely will upset the bike if I am on and off the gas at that point so I grab the clutch if I'm coasting near idle and release when I'm back on the gas or moving faster than idling speed. My gearing is still stock so I may benefit from a lower 1st gear as well. My Ducati is the same way though throttle wise. Chalk it up to FI. That said... I also did have some slight drivability issues out of the crate though solved by my dealer. No ecu and injector changes on the '13 was needed.
  7. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I see in your profile that it is a 2012 TE310. What have you done to it so far? I it powered up? If not, and you think it is "twitchy" now, you are in for a big surprise! My advice is install a TXC ECU and injector and hang on.
    Johnrg likes this.
  8. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Agreed. The new ECU and injector is the ticket. We picked up a 2012 TE310 in December and it also had the on / off throttle action with no in-between. Now the throttle is progressive and it is much more fun to ride. This fix also ended the abrupt engine breaking when you get off the throttle as well. Totally transforms the bike.

The last two Honda dirt oriented and plated bikes I've bought had similar problems, tuned so lean from the factory to pass emissions they had a hard time getting out of their own way. I had to rejet and adjust the carbs, modify breather boxes and put replacement exhaust systems on to make them run right. I guess the Husky is the same way, just more expensive and complicated via fuel injection.
  9. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Definitely no stranger to a bike with a lot of torque. Just want to get it tuned so its more linear. I see a lot of people run a power commander. Maybe that will help?
  10. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haven't done anything to it yet. I literally picked it up this afternoon.
  11. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:

Good information. I spoke to Bill the other night and he mentioned a guy that had brought in a bike that he had bought for his wife. They made the changes that you mentioned and he said the guy called back saying it was night and day. (maybe you?)
  12. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I guess I'll be taking it over to motoxotica this week to have them take a look. I was in there the other day looking at the TE310. Very nice people. Unfortunately I was looking for a 2012 and they only had the '13 models. Wish they had one. I would have really liked to have bought from them. Will be giving them my service business at least. This will be a good start.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  13. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    + 1 on full power up (TXC ECU, injector and full de-restriction)

Don't be afraid of the full power TE310. It will run cleaner and less twitchy which will make it easier to ride.

If you find the bike to be too much after the power up... invest in a G2 throttle cam system, http://www.g2ergo.com/dirt-bike-g2-...throttle-tubes/g2-throttle-cam-system-80.html . These really do work and the cams can be changed in 10 minutes.

Enjoy your new bike!
  14. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Yep, that was my wife's bike. She literally would not ride it stock, wanted to go back to her Honda CRF230. Now, after the injector and ECU, and whatever other magic Bill performed, she is all smiles.

We went with Husky only because of Bill. His reputation, and that of his staff, to make things right and do what he says he will do is pretty refreshing.
  15. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    If you are speaking of BMP, I could not agree more. They are great. I buy my parts from them, including the TXC injector and ECU I installed. I wish I would have known about them before I bought my bike. I would have bought from them. I stopped by the dealer I bought from here in Alaska the other day and there was not a single Husky on the floor now...only a sea of orange. It is kind of funny, though, whenever I ask a question about Husqvarna motorcycles, they usually tell me to log on to Cafe Husky! :D
    Coffee likes this.
  16. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not really worried about the extra power, just want it delivered more linearly. Looks like the the changes you guys mention (ECU, injector, etc) is the way to go. Thanks :thumbsup:
  17. gp1152 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's great to hear. hopefully, my story will be the same!! And you're right about Bill. I called his place the other night not really expecting anyone to answer and sure enough, he did. Awesome guy.
  18. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    The TXC ECU and injector are free with a purchase of a new runout 2012 250/310 in Australia. I guess that's just admitting that the standard ecu/injector doesn't work properly.
  19. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    When you mention twitchyness, I think of the fuel/air mixture isn't tuned well. I have a JD Tuner for my 2010 TE 250 but it's still a little twitchy. It's the nature of these bikes I think. As others have said, it has something to do with ECU/Injector/TPS settings.

The smaller TE's (250's / 310s) don't have a very smooth lower part of the RPM - lots have had issues with off idle stumble in the 10-11 models (not sure beyond that)... good luck
  20. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Also as you get some hours on the bike the feeling will become more controllable......