1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Just pulled the trigger on a 2013 CR125!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mnnthbx, Jul 29, 2012.

1. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    I'm fired up! I just sold what I assume will prove to be the greatest bike I'll ever own... http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41450 I simply was riding VERY little anymore, and thought switching it up so drastic may encourage me to get more seat time.

I've owned a few Husky's previously. A 06 610smr & a 09 510smr. This will be my first venture into the woods on one. I'll continue to search for info, but if you guys would be so kind as to share solid set-up info it will be a big help no doubt...

Usage will be 50/50 tech single track and fun two track. Little to no MX. Occasional vet C hare scramble. I'm told it should be here in about two weeks, so I thought I'd get some parts together while I wait...

*Pipe guard* I'm ordering a P3, but I need a little advice on pipes. I plan to run the stocker, unless you can tell me it totally sucks. I'd hate to shell out for the guard, then switch pipes.

*Hand Guards" Not sure if it's a testiment to my skill, or my lack of speed, but I'm not a crasher. For years I've run the Cycra Composites (all plastic) and they've served me well. The draw to me, is that they're so light. Prior to that, I used Fastway's. Great quality and fitment, only extra weight. Not sure which way I'll go.

*Jetting* How close are these out of the crate? 1000-3000', 50-90 degrees. I've never been the smooth flowing type, and prefer max power, regulating it with my throttle hand. Ideas?

*Rad Guards* I've never run a bike w/o them, but back to me not crashing, I've never needed any. It's a risk, but I believe I'll skip them this go around, again for weight.

*I'm tall* The KTM had bar risers and a tall seat. I'm sure I'll want the same here. Do I have good options? I'm a details freak when it comes to controls. Any idea how these bars compare to the KTM bends I'm used to?

*Graphics* I've bought 20+ sets of PG stuff and like it, but would like something different. I see most the big names offer Husky stuff, however few of them show actual Husky plates, making me wonder what this stuff looks like on the tiny plates.

*Suspension* At this point, I'm looking for a fun bike, and have no dreams of winning a national enduro. I don't need perfection, but want a quality set-up. I'm about 200 w/ gear. I'd guess I'll need springs, but is the valving usable? Who are the proven suppliers for CR springs?

Lastly, what does this bike need that can't be bought? I engineer and manufacture a high volume of parts for the Honda Ruckus. Doing the same for the Husky's wouldn't be a stretch....

Thanks guys for your input, Greg
  2. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Cycra pro bends, Pro taper mini hi fat bars, IMO just respring the bike and try it, stock valving felt ok for me. Halls cycle has springs. I just bought the 7602 rad guards and braces, they look like top notch very hi quality, havent uad time to install them yet. Motosportz has rad guards also, Ive abused the crap out of mine (on my 300) with no problems. The husky comes with bar risers stock, Im 73" and fit is great. I use decal works for my 300 and they look great. I dont recall what I have in jetting, but we do have the p3 guard and it is holding up well. Not many crashes on it yet.

The 125 is a phenomenal bike, you won't miss the orange thing.
  3. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think I'm pretty square, less exhaust. Searching leads me to believe the stocker gives up a lot of power. I'm inclined to get the Scalvini, only concerned how much bottom I'll loose... I'm open for pipe recommendations. Don't really care where it adds power, as long as it actually adds it, without sacrificing another part of the powerband.
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I have a ktm 250 and the wr bars sit about 4 - 5 inches higher from the ground. Very different ergonomics
    You will notice the bike is noisier and this a better muffler is something I will be looking for next. The handling is so much better and easier to manouver around obstacles . Less head shake
    You will probably miss the keihin carb and the grunt but the fun factor is higher on the 125. Id swap to the 144 asap though
  5. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just ordered the Scalvini pipe. Couldn't resist the cone.... If you guys can give me a range of good brass to have on hand for a piped 144 I'll make sure I have what I need to test on hand. Thx, G
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

First thing is to order an RM needle 16-62. Works much better than the stock needles. I would have a 32.5, 30 and 27.5 pilot on hand. It comes with a 50, 45, 40, and 35 pilots. It also comes with 450, 460, and 470 mains which should cover your needs. I definitely agree with mounting up the 144 immediately. No sense putting more time on your 125 top end when the 144 is better everywhere. OBTW, you are going to love this scoot.
  7. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for taking the time, and yes, going straight to the 144 is the plan. Judging by the pilots you recommend I pick up, I'm guessing it's rich as delivered?
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It should have the 35 installed stock. That just gives you a broad range of jets depending on how you ride and where you ride. Some guys go richer and some go leaner it all depends on you. I spend a lot of time on the bottom end at altitude so leaner works for me. I also just rode my first ride with the RB Designs modded carb and it was excelent. Handled the 4000'+ change in elevation easily with no adjustments needed. If you do need to make changes it is just a slight twist of the new airspeed knob and it is perfect again.
  9. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Like Walt said, get the Suzuki needle. The stock one is way too lean and causes the motor to bog. Also make sure you check the adjustment on the power valve. There is a good procedure posted here. I also have the RB Designs modded carb and it is amazing. I've also replaced the front and rear springs on mine with lighter on the front and much heavier on the back but I'm a bit lighter at 180 lbs. Dwight has a good post on this site on how to calculate your spring rate. You will definitely have to increase the rear spring at any rate. The bike is a gas! :banana:
  10. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Does RB work the Mikuni over or a Kehein? I'me familiar with his work on a friends KDX and am impressed.
  11. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Also, where to order springs? Are all suppliers offering the same component, or are there straight rate vs. progressive rate camps? Any rate recommendation for me @ 195ish loaded, slow tech trail?

You guys have no idea how helpful your input is. I'm not at all a patient person, but being forced to wait on the bike for 2 weeks is a blessing, giving me time to get my ducks in a row....
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

He does both but in this instance he would be working with your stock Mikuni TMXX. He installs his divider plate, bores to 39mm to compensate for the loss of volume, works some low speed circuit mods and installs his hand operated air speed screw(very cool). I also installed a finger operated idle speed screw and it makes minor adjustments an on the bike, bend over and fix any issue. :thumbsup:

I am not a suspension guy so I wouldn't trust anything I might say about your suspension. I am not sure what springs are in the CR as Dwight's, Doug's, and mine are all WR's.
  13. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I got my springs through ASR-4, but some site sponsors sell them also. I think a starting point would be 5.8 shock spring and .47 fork springs. Check out Dwights post on suspension setup. So far, spring calculators have been wrong for my weight ex. calc call for .50/6.0 springs and I'm now .47/5.6 for the correct measurements. My posted spring rates are for the WR300, different setup from the 125
  14. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks. What do you weigh geared up? Also, what are the stock CR spring rates?

THANKS so much guys.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I read somewhere and don't quote me on this that the CR had one step stiffer rear. The front forks are a different fork so those aren't comparable.
  16. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    My daughters 125 had .43 forks springs and 5. shock spring.
  17. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    What RM is that needle sourced from?
  18. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    • Needle & jets ordered
    • Fastway handguards ordered
    • Scalvini pipe ordered
    • RB Designs contacted
  19. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got the RM needle from my local Suzuki dealer (he had to order it). Any recent RM 125 parts fische will show a selection of needles, including the 16-62.
  20. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scalvini showed today.... Now I just need a bike to mount it on.

[IMG]
    Neesmo31, cheko7, johnnyboy and 4 others like this.