1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Just put the Rekluse in the 144....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mnnthbx, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    I had a Rekluse EXP in my KTM 300 and loved it. Decided to try it on the CR144, but was unsure if the small bore would like it. Doing research here, there was lots of mixed opinions, but here's mine in case it may help someone down the road....

Aside from loosing $400, there's no downside at all. Obviously it's more or less stall proof, and will regain forward motion in the nasty stuff. In addition, until I got used to it on my 300, I had no idea how much better (faster?) riding is when you can stab the brakes without the clutch and tackle big downhills in full control releaxed with both hands on the bars, not covering the clutch.

The biggest point of note for all those claiming downsides... If I don't tell somebody it's in there, they'll have no clue. It just doesn't change the bike in any weird way.

I guess there are a couple tiny downers... Without a kickstand, you're not only looking for trees to park, but trees on level ground, as gearing won't hold it there. Also, I'm told you can't bump start it, but I've had decent luck doing it regardless, and infact, have the normal engine breaking downhill for the most part.

Just my 2c.
    454x and water racer like this.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have one in my 08 CR WB165 and love it! Good write up. I make sure I find neutral before I get off my bike. I watched a friend blip a throttle on a bike while it was on the kick stand in gear with a Rekluse and we all watched it launch into another friends four wheeler :doh:.
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    When I started reading your post, I was gonna say the big issue for me is bump starting... You must have yours set perfectly for this!
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    try a velcro strap round the front brake lever when parking.
    ray_ray likes this.
  5. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I hope you get good clutch life out of it. The RevLoc design similar to the EXP doesn't use all of the stock clutch pack and can't handle the extra torque of the 165. At least that was my experience. I think the 165 puts out somewhere around twice as much torque as a 125.
    I went with an EFM clutch which retains all of the stock plates.

6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Rekluse makes quality products and are great to work with. In my conversations with them about clutches available for the 125, they hinted at some pretty cool new stuff they have coming out. I had trouble getting the exp to work for me. My guess is that it was...just me. I also have so much confidence in the EFM clutch that I don't want to spend any time futzing with a clutch to make it work for "me".
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I guess time will tell for me and the EXP. It was super easy to install and adjust. My stock 08 plates looked new so I'm not hard on a clutch by any means. I think if you have them set up to slip a little and run a gear or to high they wouldn't last as long. I'm a weekend old guy so I think it will be fine for me and the WB165. I'll treat my next WB175/200 to the EFM :D.
    wallybean likes this.
  8. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    No worries at all. I hammered the EXP in my Slavens ported 300, a bike that made twice the power and change of this thing, and never had a hint of a problem.
    454x and wallybean like this.
  9. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The EXP has worked for me so far on my Uptite 167.. but don't think I'm making the torque the WB 165 is making and I don't slip the clutch that much (or ride that much these days... LOL) :)
  10. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's a great example of how the EXP feels....

I had a friend come over and ride the new 144 yesterday. He's a die-hard MX guy, and thinks very little of woods guys or anything associated with us. I never told him the clutch was in the bike, and after a long, hard ride, (he came back LOVING the bike by the way) he never had any idea the Rekluse was in it. Once finished, as he sat there in gear with the clutch pulled, I said "let the clutch out". Simply blew his MX mind when it didn't pull away....
    454x, wallybean and john01 like this.
  11. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    The EXP is definately a worthwhile upgrade.

BTW, what is the oil capacity of the 2012 wr 144? I only use the sight glass to refill, and never measured the quantity I fill.
  12. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    How's the clutch pull on the 125/144 with EXP?
  14. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Much stiffer...definately two fingers instead of my usual one finger.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Is there any additional maintenance for these clutches?

Do the true synthetic, man-made, engine oils have any issues with these clutches?
  16. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Fill w/ Rotella, ride your tail off. Repeat every so often....
  17. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    mnnthbx:

What are your EXP settings? On the Rekluse friction disc, are you using 6 red springs (medium), or 3 red/3silver (low engagement), or 3 red/3 blue (high)? And did you use the 5 red clutch plate springs that came with the EXP (they were red in color) or did you use your old clutch plate springs? If you are able to bump start, do you have your lever set so it moves a little with revs or alot with revs, or maybe even not at all?

Thanks,
  18. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's set up 100% per the out of the box directions.